Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who do you think is the most hated or disliked NYC DJ

edubz

There are some good responses here. But I just wanted to add something about the comment made that other "up and coming DJ's" dont get respect...

for one, these up and coming DJ's gotta step their game up.

what I mean by that is, start PRODUCING your OWN music.

JP produced ALOT of good music while at factory, classics. He has paid his dues and them some, competed on saturday nights with Junior Vasquez, who probably is one of the greatest DJ's who has ever lived if not the greatest DJ's period. thats huge.

are these up and coming DJ's producing ANYTHING?

Also, I dont think sexual preference has anything to do with or should have anything to do with someone liking or disliking a house DJ.

I am tried of hearing people complain about new talent not shinning, when the new talent arent really creating music. Djing is more then just playing other peoples music, or working a track with an effects box. or playing the newest shit

you also have to understand that up and comers arent given a chance, especially in New York. i have spun whole sets with tracks that friends of mine or friends of friends of theirs have made, all original, unsigned stuff... record labels just arent open ne more... look at New Yorkers who have made it big in the international arena... theyre either classic NYC house DJs like DT or Morales and the list goes on.... OR.... they just got lucky (the better part of the Subliminal lineup are Erick Morillo's boys from back in Jersey and New York) - Nunez, Harry ChooChoo Romero, Who Da Funk, i can name more but its too early to remember.... theyre all somehow connected thru friends or brothers or w.e.... nowadays, ur a producer without connections, you could consider all ur hard work a waste, it wont get out there. do you see anyone new running shit right now in New York? no, its the Tenaglia, Morales, Calderone, JP, etc. parties that sell out, and theres no room for anyone to be noticed. im only 19 but EDM has been my passion, i have my own internet show every week since about a year and some change ago, and i give tremendous passion in what i do, the music i play, and most importantly, THE MUSIC I PRODUCE. i had been signed to a new label this past summer but have only realized now that its not really legitimate nor do release dates for me or any of the other artists seem clear in the near future... its just impossible for one of us to get to a legitimate label for people to hear our sound, and those that do are the lucky ones, and arent necessarily the best out of the bunch. i consider myself extremely lucky for having a few gigs at Avalon and Spirit, but having my original songs heard is just on another level of impossible.

why do you think new artists, whether trance or house, end up leaving New York? Victor Dinaire... hes doing better elsewhere.... Filo and Peri... theyre a lot bigger internationally than they are here in New York.... and these are from the trance end of things, where there is a bit more room for artists to emerge because of the lack of 40+ year old DJs that have run shit forever (trance is relatively a new sound compared to house)... just my thoughts

oh, and i hate Vic Latino... i wont even give him the respect of considering him a DJ, he needs to die... every1 on KTU does. although i can tell Riddler wishes he didnt have his dick and music style controlled by KTU wherever and whenever he plays... over the last year, i have heard MOMENTS of innovative music on his show, be it some new vocal hard trance remix by Rank1 and DuMonde, or Marco V's "c:/del.mp3"... he is just itching to finish his contract with Ultra and KTU, i dont know how he could sleep at night knowing he sold his musical soul to the devil! haha

There are some good responses here. But I just wanted to add something about the comment made that other "up and coming DJ's" dont get respect...

JP produced ALOT of good music while at factory, classics. He has paid his dues and them some, competed on saturday nights with Junior Vasquez, who probably is one of the greatest DJ's who has ever lived if not the greatest DJ's period. thats huge.

Also, I dont think sexual preference has anything to do with or should have anything to do with someone liking or disliking a house DJ.

I am tried of hearing people complain about new talent not shinning, when the new talent arent really creating music. Djing is more then just playing other peoples music, or working a track with an effects box. or playing the newest shit

Yo whats good edubz, I guess you miss read my post I never said "up & coming dj's" dont get the respect they deserve. (while this is true) I said there is alot better TALENT out their that doesnt get the respect it deserves.

There is so much talent getting recognized and respected internationally but then when they come to NYC its a different ballgame. Prime example: While at Steve Lawler @ Spirit 2 months ago, I heard him throw down one of the best sets I ever heard in my life. The club had a good amount of people in it but I really dont even know if I could call it "packed" I mean im not complaining cause I HATE going to JP or other parties were there is no room to move, and at lawler i had plenty of room to dance. You can take the night Lawler was in Nyc and drew the biggest crowd and then take JP's smallest crowd and I bet JP numbers will still be bigger. That annoys me a lil, I think we all can agree there is no question as to who has the most talent out of those two, and the one with more talent will bring in fewer ppl, and nyc is probably the only place that will happen. The question is are the majority of NYC clubbers really that uneducated about music?, or are we afraid to try something new and hear a different sound then what we usually hear (boris, jp, calderone etc), or maybe we are just loyal to local dj's? its prob a combination of all three.

Yo whats good edubz....... I think we all can agree there is no question as to who has the most talent out of those two, and the one with more talent will bring in fewer ppl, and nyc is probably the only place that will happen. The question is are the majority of NYC clubbers really that uneducated about music?, or are we afraid to try something new and hear a different sound then what we usually hear (boris, jp, calderone etc), or maybe we are just loyal to local dj's? its prob a combination of all three.

I have to disagree.

when you say talent, what do you mean?

When I go out, and if I am going to pay money to go here someone play, what is it, $40 ...$50 to get into a club these days? I am going to pay to go hear Junior Vasquez, or JP, or even Jonny Vicious ...why? because they have talent.

what I mean by talent is, they might have cooked something up in the studio that past week and are going to drop it in their set. I can name at least 10 songs from each of these producers that I can still play and would have people who know nothing about EDM dancing....

I for one, am not familiar with steve lawlers production work. I did hear everyone talking about his track "that sound"... and when I listened to it, it was like WTF is this? This doesn't make me want to go here this guy play. Sure as hell doesn't have any uplifting vocals. hell, it doesn't even want to make me dance!

All I hear in that song is "listen to sing , listen to my sound" over and over.....

where are the vocals? Can I take a date to go out and listen to this?hell no

but I can take a girl out and dance with her, and if JP plays I believe in love, there are actual vocals there. It actual has more then 5 words in that song...

Junior Vazquez might drop reasons for living, or a remix he did of kiss u all over... what female is not going to like that?

I mean, thats just my opinion, and based on my DJing experience, in general, the majority of people out there dont like repetitive music with little or no words....., and alot of the music that europeans produce is repetitive stuff.

NY producers on the other hand have a better production style to cater to the people in their own country.

for one, I am tempted to go hear hex hector this weekend at pasha, and bring a date, because I know we can have a good time.... just because i know hex production is good and a female whos not into dance music that much might recognize an RNB song turned into a dance track, dance and have a good time.

nowadays, ur a producer without connections, you could consider all ur hard work a waste, it wont get out there. do you see anyone new running shit right now in New York? ,

also, instead of all the annoying promotion stickies of come to my club, ect,ect. producers should start posting their production. I would rather hear new talent production from NY, then some cornball promoters flyer saying come to my club.

With the internet and digital distribution these days, there is no excuse that you cant get your production heard. because how else are you gonna get your name out there?

I could make the next club bomb, and if I gave it to a huge Dj, how the hell would I get any fame? The DJ is getting famous for playing your music, when it should be the other way around. the EDM here in NY is just backwards.

Junior Vazquez might drop reasons for living, or a remix he did of kiss u all over... what female is not going to like that?

Jr. never drops though. Only remix of Kiss You All Over he played recently was Phil Ber's.

Jr. is not consistent anymore and lost tons of fans due to that. Most that attend the party now is from Earth era onward. So many from Twilo, Arena, etc. no.

Jr. never drops though. Only remix of Kiss You All Over he played recently was Phil Ber's.

Jr. is not consistent anymore and lost tons of fans due to that. Most that attend the party now is from Earth era onward. So many from Twilo, Arena, etc. no.

Junior Vasuqez is launching his new XM radio broadcast where he will be playing new music, and new remixes....

I dont have XM but will be getting it now.

oh, and i hate Vic Latino... i wont even give him the respect of considering him a DJ, he needs to die... every1 on KTU does. although i can tell Riddler wishes he didnt have his dick and music style controlled by KTU wherever and whenever he plays... over the last year, i have heard MOMENTS of innovative music on his show, be it some new vocal hard trance remix by Rank1 and DuMonde, or Marco V's "c:/del.mp3"... he is just itching to finish his contract with Ultra and KTU, i dont know how he could sleep at night knowing he sold his musical soul to the devil! haha

this one is true about the riddler lol

I have to disagree.

when you say talent, what do you mean?

When I go out, and if I am going to pay money to go here someone play, what is it, $40 ...$50 to get into a club these days? I am going to pay to go hear Junior Vasquez, or JP, or even Jonny Vicious ...why? because they have talent.

what I mean by talent is, they might have cooked something up in the studio that past week and are going to drop it in their set. I can name at least 10 songs from each of these producers that I can still play and would have people who know nothing about EDM dancing....

I for one, am not familiar with steve lawlers production work. I did hear everyone talking about his track "that sound"... and when I listened to it, it was like WTF is this? This doesn't make me want to go here this guy play. Sure as hell doesn't have any uplifting vocals. hell, it doesn't even want to make me dance!

All I hear in that song is "listen to sing , listen to my sound" over and over.....

where are the vocals? Can I take a date to go out and listen to this?hell no

but I can take a girl out and dance with her, and if JP plays I believe in love, there are actual vocals there. It actual has more then 5 words in that song...

I mean, thats just my opinion, and based on my DJing experience, in general, the majority of people out there dont like repetitive music with little or no words....., and alot of the music that europeans produce is repetitive stuff.

NY producers on the other hand have a better production style to cater to the people in their own country.

for one, I am tempted to go hear hex hector this weekend at pasha, and bring a date, because I know we can have a good time.... just because i know hex production is good and a female whos not into dance music that much might recognize an RNB song turned into a dance track, dance and have a good time.

also, instead of all the annoying promotion stickies of come to my club, ect,ect. producers should start posting their production. I would rather hear new talent production from NY, then some cornball promoters flyer saying come to my club.

With the internet and digital distribution these days, there is no excuse that you cant get your production heard. because how else are you gonna get your name out there?

I could make the next club bomb, and if I gave it to a huge Dj, how the hell would I get any fame? The DJ is getting famous for playing your music, when it should be the other way around. the EDM here in NY is just backwards.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion bro and i respect yours but i think ur wrong. 40-50 bucks? Def not........ only for jp, tiesto, pvd, and events like that. The three classic NYC dj's u listed (JV, JP, and Vicious) have talent but they are def have slipped since the height of their careers man. i hear Vicious tho has been throwin down some nasty house sets recently so I have to make it out to hear him. Maybe you havent been out to JP lately but Ive been too all of his events and i wanna know when you heard some uplifting vocals besides that crap he played at classics? He hasnt really played any. They examples u have given are very rare ones man. If you wanna take a girl on a date a club really isnt the place until you get to know her. Especially if shes really not into dance music. U cant even talk why wud u wanna take a girl on a date to see JP or JV? If you are dj'ing to a crowd that likes the cheese, then yea they dont like repetitive stuff, but we are talkin about crowds that like REAL HOUSE MUSIC. I dunno if u have heard lawlers newest production: ILLectronic music....but it is a bomb. There is a reason why european productions are popular throughout the world and most nyc productions are popular....well only in nyc. Most NYC clubbers are uneducated. If you definition of talent is a dj dropping tracks he produces then your entitled to that opinion but i think you are way off...talent is alot more than that..........lawler has ALOT more talent than JP. if i come across as a dick my bad.....i respect your opinion but i just disagree with your views. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just seems to me like you are lookin at very rare cases. But anyway take it easy bro.....send me a pm if u ever wanna trade some beats.

I think calling nyc clubbers uneducated is bad. First off, I have a bachelor of music degree but does that make my taste better than yours? You like what you like and dance to whatever moves your ass; if you have to learn to like it you're probably just dancing to what you think makes you a "hip" clubber. Second, well, I haven't gone clubbing in Europe but they put out just as bad if not worse dance pop than we do, so outside of the famous club there must be tons of cheesy ones, maybe even more than here.

Its like everyone thinks you should be open minded to other dance styles, but just because you've moved on from one or don't care for a style you don't have to put down people who like it as less educated than you.

I think its great that people who go to hook up and not for the music usually wind up in the clubs playing more mainstream stuff--do you really want to fight for a space on a the dancefloor with them?

All IMHO, etc, etc...