Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how was your new year's? (and did anyone go to giant?)

weyes

my new year's was just perfect :aright: . i stayed home and partied with my roommate, listening to music and such.

when we turned on dick clark's show, i got all annoyed about ryan seacrest having taken over dick clark's position [at that point, mr. clark hadn't been on yet]. when we finally saw dick clark, though, and i heard him speak, i got so sad... i didn't know he had a stroke, and when his first few words sounded like garbled mishmash, i was about to assume he was drunk :hey: . it was great that he was there, 'cause he means so much to everyone and is just a part of new year's eve in the u.s., but it made me sad to see him like that.

but a new year's with no drama, no crazy cover fees, and nothing like what [i'm hearing about] happened at giant was great :D . so,

did anyone here go to giant? juddybuddy? i want the scoop!!!

my new year's was just perfect :aright: . i stayed home and partied with my roommate, listening to music and such.

when we turned on dick clark's show, i got all annoyed about ryan seacrest having taken over dick clark's position [at that point, mr. clark hadn't been on yet]. when we finally saw dick clark, though, and i heard him speak, i got so sad... i didn't know he had a stroke, and when his first few words sounded like garbled mishmash, i was about to assume he was drunk :hey: . it was great that he was there, 'cause he means so much to everyone and is just a part of new year's eve in the u.s., but it made me sad to see him like that.

but a new year's with no drama, no crazy cover fees, and nothing like what [i'm hearing about] happened at giant was great :D . so,

did anyone here go to giant? juddybuddy? i want the scoop!!!

We were one of the first report that Giant was cancelled. The server was down here at the time so we couldnt post an alert to everyone here.

I personally had a blast.

Well ****** thanks for the encouragment, I had lots of fun at T.A.O. My husband and I felt an immediate through back to the good ole raves, We went on the slide,played games, walked around and around listening to all the different music, and suprisingly ran into some old friends. PVD did a great set, it is too bad that he had to leave so early. I was kinda disappointed with Judge Jules, not as great as the time I saw him @ Giant when they were at the Hollywood Athletic. But overall great people, and fun.

(this was my first time out, since my loss, and I wouldnt have imagined anything more positve:biggrin: :clap: )

Yeah it was a bummer about giant.. oh well... i went to a local bar within the giant village and danced a bit and then hit up really bad rave within downtown LA .. I'm surprised I'm alive.. .there are bunch of very scary people down there..

over all i wish I was at home instead of spending money on a hotel room... my friends were great to be around though..

i heard that giant may have been cancelled from a few friends on my way over to a pre-game party. we checked the giant site for a while, but nothing. the first 'official' info we saw was via the los angeles fire department's blog - wtf. eventually, there was a post on the groovetixx site - at 9 FUCKING PM.

we made do and still had a good time that night, but i was def disappointed.

but what about the people that travelled, got a hotel, etc.?

and it seems that they're making it very difficult to get refunds, all based on a make-up event to be announced later. but what are the odds of getting even 5 of those acts together on the same night?

fuck that - give me my money back.

don't worry - everyone is getting their refund.

JANUARY 3, 2005

GIANT VILLAGE CANCELLED

We will not be rescheduling a make-up event. We will be honoring refunds for tickets purchased.

We apologize for the delay in this notice, but many factors had to be considered on the night of the event and we put up all the information we could at that time.

If you purchased through *************.com, you will be receiving an email directly from them. We will be posting additional refund information for other outlets, as soon as they are available, later today. Thank you for your patience.

Well ****** thanks for the encouragment, I had lots of fun at T.A.O. My husband and I felt an immediate through back to the good ole raves, We went on the slide,played games, walked around and around listening to all the different music, and suprisingly ran into some old friends. PVD did a great set, it is too bad that he had to leave so early. I was kinda disappointed with Judge Jules, not as great as the time I saw him @ Giant when they were at the Hollywood Athletic. But overall great people, and fun.

(this was my first time out, since my loss, and I wouldnt have imagined anything more positve:biggrin: :clap: )

Glad you had fun. CES / AVN week is this week. And then superbowl weekend is cheap also.

...fuck that - give me my money back.
giant's new year's party the year before last was also a disaster, even though it wasn't cancelled at the last minute. it was so mismanaged that i can't even begin to describe it. they also seriously fucked up a pvd event a couple of years ago that i DID attend. i hate to be unforgiving, but they've got a bad record, in my book. i only attend their events rarely, and you know how i feel about avaland - though i don't think the clientele there is giant's fault.

i'm sorry you were one of the screwed :( . it's good that they ARE giving refunds now. as you said, they could never put together an event like that again during the regular year, and so many people come in from out of town just to be at giant village for new year's. keep us updated on if you get your refund from virgin.

giant's new year's party the year before last was also a disaster, even though it wasn't cancelled at the last minute. it was so mismanaged that i can't even begin to describe it. they also seriously fucked up a pvd event a couple of years ago that i DID attend. i hate to be unforgiving, but they've got a bad record, in my book. i only attend their events rarely, and you know how i feel about avaland - though i don't think the clientele there is giant's fault.

Man I had a blast last year at Giant NYE, I loved the Killers, Oaky, and "The Diggers". Considering how large scale it was, I thought they did pretty good. I have been to many Giant events and boy do I know how they can screw up crowd control, I actuallly thought they did o.k.... Why did you not like it?

As for the PVD event I remember that, they ended up changing the time of the event to some ungodly hour at the last minute, but they gave refunds for the inconveinence. But I do agree that Giant can be a little hit and miss...:party::cuss::rock::banghead:

Man I had a blast last year at Giant NYE, I loved the Killers, Oaky, and "The Diggers". Considering how large scale it was, I thought they did pretty good. I have been to many Giant events and boy do I know how they can screw up crowd control, I actuallly thought they did o.k.... Why did you not like it?

As for the PVD event I remember that, they ended up changing the time of the event to some ungodly hour at the last minute, but they gave refunds for the inconveinence. But I do agree that Giant can be a little hit and miss...:party::cuss::rock::banghead:

i said "the year BEFORE last." you know, the whole bonaventure disaster? i know that last year went all right.

as for the pvd event, i don't remember them giving out refunds... did they announce that after the event?

yeah, the pvd event was supposed to be on friday (or was it saturday?) night, but they changed it - that wednesday - to sunday from 3 a.m. to 11 a.m. :woah::confused: to top it off, that sunday was father's day. it was hot as hell, too, both outside and in the mostly non-air conditioned venue. i couldn't even stay inside; it was that hot.

here's an update from giant:

---------------------------

Please forgive the delayed follow up… the past few days have been the worst of any of our experiences and it has been impossible to put into words all the issues and difficult decisions that we’ve faced.

We cannot begin express to you how devastated we are that we were not able to deliver this year’s GIANT Village as planned. We made what we still believe was the right decision based the determination from the Los Angeles Fire Department that the extreme weather conditions caused serious concern for public safety.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Sunday stood by Los Angeles Fire Department officials whose advice the day before helped convince the organizers of a massive New Year's Eve music festival planned for downtown to cancel the event.

"I think the fire officials made a determination that they believed was in the interest of public safety, and I don't have any information that that wasn't an appropriate decision," Villaraigosa said Sunday.

- Los Angeles Times, Monday, January 2, 2006

Further pushing our decision, which we had to make at 4pm on New Year’s Eve, was the news that a stage had collapsed at Paramount Studios in Hollywood at 3pm during the set-up for another outdoor New Year’s Eve Party. The Paramount Studios event subsequently had its permits pulled and was canceled due to the severe weather.

Although the rain subsided in the early evening, the danger of the flooded streets remained and the potential for more rain later in the evening could never be ruled out. Considering the commotion of the afternoon’s events, we did our best to notify all media outlets regarding the night’s cancellation and posted security to inform everyone who had not received the notices.

In an emotional announcement on the night of the event, we proposed scheduling a make-up show in hopes of salvaging what we believed to be a memorable line-up. After weighing all options for a make up event, we will now be offering ticket holders the choice of a make up event package consisting of multiple club events of greater value featuring talent from the GIANT Village or a full refund for the face value of your tickets.

Please understand that there was no benefit to us to cancel our event other than your safety. We did not have “Event Cancellation Insurance†to cover our loss, all of the artists were at the venue and we had sold more advance tickets through December 30 than any of our previous events. We make money by producing shows, not canceling shows. This was a disastrous financial loss for us.

As difficult a time as it is for us, we’d like to assure you that we always consider the importance of our loyal customers to our business… as well as their safety. Yes, it says “rain or shine†on your ticket, but not “rain or shine, injury or death.â€

A belated Happy New Year,

Dave Dean

Director, GIANT

MAKE UP PACKAGE OR REFUND INFORMATION:

*************.com: Anyone who purchased tickets via *************.com has or will receive an email notification.

Virgin Megastores: Please email news@giantclub.com with the Subject: “VIRGIN - Information Request†by Friday, January 6, 2006.

Independent Retail Outlets: Please email news@giantclub.com with the Subject: “INDEPENDENT - Information Request†by Friday, January 6, 2006.

Independent Retails Outlets Include:

Street Sounds

Brat Store

Benway Records

Sound Station

Grooveriders

Sanctuary

Fingerprints

Catwalk

Ipso Facto

Electric Chair

Mileage Clubwear

Other GIANT Village Online Sales: Please contact the ticketing company directly.

Grand Pavilion Information: Please contact the person from whom you directly purchased the ticket or from the online ticketing agency from which you purchased the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...