Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Just Back from Miami for New Years....My Take on the Club Scene

ukjay43

Totally.

One other things Vegasguy25? Do you ever go into Drai's? You never give that place any cred and my personal opinion is that you haven't really been in there when it's going off and Chris Nilson/Chris Garcia/Chris Aurelius or Justin Hoffman aren't killing the wheels of steel. Everybody that I know in the world into House Music thinks that places rocks. Now it's clearly not for everybody but if you "can get in" with regularity there during peak nights, it's worth every penny.

I completely disagree about LA trying to push their music scene--at least relative to the "House Heads". Same thing with San Francisco. Vegasguy25...when was the last time you were in either of those cities?

San Francisco's house scene is dead. Or on life support. Other than Ruby Skye there isn't a single venue(other than local nights at select places thruout the bay)that offers a House Room/scene.

I know LA-LATE is going to come after me when I say this...but most of the clubs in Hollywood are wack with wack ass promoters trying to DJ.

With love for Avalon/Spider Room/Spundae(which has a wack ass 50+ year old Korean Rave scene(best classification I can come up with...;-)and Deep on Sunday nights, most of the rest of the scene for House Heads is pathetic.

Yes there are some good venues if you are into Hip Hop and young wannabe actor/model posers who don't even have real jobs nor income but if that's not your scene, LA isn't a great party place.

Different strokes for different folks fo show.

Now Greeniest...are you going to be in Vegas for Superbowl weekend or what?

I have a mad posse coming and you don't want to miss this party. Holla with a PM.

Totally.

One other things Vegasguy25? Do you ever go into Drai's? You never give that place any cred and my personal opinion is that you haven't really been in there when it's going off and Chris Nilson/Chris Garcia/Chris Aurelius or Justin Hoffman aren't killing the wheels of steel. Everybody that I know in the world into House Music thinks that places rocks. Now it's clearly not for everybody but if you "can get in" with regularity there during peak nights, it's worth every penny.

I completely disagree about LA trying to push their music scene--at least relative to the "House Heads". Same thing with San Francisco. Vegasguy25...when was the last time you were in either of those cities?

San Francisco's house scene is dead. Or on life support. Other than Ruby Skye there isn't a single venue(other than local nights at select places thruout the bay)that offers a House Room/scene.

I know LA-LATE is going to come after me when I say this...but most of the clubs in Hollywood are wack with wack ass promoters trying to DJ.

With love for Avalon/Spider Room/Spundae(which has a wack ass 50+ year old Korean Rave scene(best classification I can come up with...;-)and Deep on Sunday nights, most of the rest of the scene for House Heads is pathetic.

Yes there are some good venues if you are into Hip Hop and young wannabe actor/model posers who don't even have real jobs nor income but if that's not your scene, LA isn't a great party place.

Now Greeniest...are you going to be in Vegas for Superbowl weekend or what?

I have a mad posse coming and you don't want to miss this party. Holla with a PM.

lol. na im gonna come after you for not reading that I said I wa s gonna be in Vegas for superbowl weekend too and you didnt holla back lol.

1. I know LA-LATE is going to come after me when I say this...but most of the clubs in Hollywood are wack with wack ass promoters trying to DJ.

2. With love for Avalon/Spider Room/Spundae(which has a wack ass 50+ year old Korean Rave scene(best classification I can come up with...;-)and Deep on Sunday nights, most of the rest of the scene for House Heads is pathetic.

3. Yes there are some good venues if you are into Hip Hop and young wannabe actor/model posers who don't even have real jobs nor income but if that's not your scene, LA isn't a great party place.

Of course Im gonna disagree with every statement in that mass generalizations. Each paragraph is a horribly false statement.

Totally.

You put Drai's up as your primary example of why you think Las Vegas' house scene is better than SF's or LA's? Miguel Migs, Mark Farina and Doc Martin are some of the very best in the business when it comes to house, and they play the bay regularly, at least once a month. Parties such as Qool, which features SF standouts Jondi and Spesh, Satellite features Scott Carelli as well as regular special guests from the world of house music, Miguel Migs hosts Salted, Doc Martin regularly plays Remedy, Second Sunday, hosted by Release and held at 1015, also regularly hosts house DJs. Also, there are tons of up-and-comers such as Jeffrey Allen and others. Danny Tenaglia, who just played SF this past Saturday, doesn't play cities where the house scene is dead. He plays for the people who "get it".

As far as LA goes, you avoided mentioning that Vanguard has hosted nights including Doc Martin and Mark Farina together, as well as Kaskade. I was at both of these nights, and they had great turnouts from LA's legions of househeads. Were you at either one of these? They also have many great house nights coming up. LA is loaded with house talent. Doc Martin holds underground parties on a regular basis, and does a lot for the LA house scene. John Do and Justin Gourley have been throwing their ode to house music, Basic, for a little better than four years now. There are also tons of other great house DJs in LA including Sugar Ant Invasion (Steve Chipman and Marc Gottlieb), Architects of Sound (John Day and Eddie Clay), Jimmy Maheras, Justin Sloe, Jonathan Neil, Hoang Luu and so many others. I will give you credit for mentioning Deep, which is one of the best house music parties on the west coast. Just like San Francisco, if you would say LA's house scene is dead, then you simply aren't looking. I am baffled as to how you can say that, seeing as how you live there. The house scene extends far beyond Avalon. Avalon is just the tip of the iceberg.

I've never heard Chris Garcia, but since he just got the residency slot in the house room at Jet, I will be hearing him soon.

1. I know LA-LATE is going to come after me when I say this...but most of the clubs in Hollywood are wack with wack ass promoters trying to DJ.

2. With love for Avalon/Spider Room/Spundae(which has a wack ass 50+ year old Korean Rave scene(best classification I can come up with...;-)and Deep on Sunday nights, most of the rest of the scene for House Heads is pathetic.

3. Yes there are some good venues if you are into Hip Hop and young wannabe actor/model posers who don't even have real jobs nor income but if that's not your scene, LA isn't a great party place.

I still wanta give a full out 5,000 word response to this, especially #3. Instead, Im just gonna trip you into the fountains at Bellagio next time I see you. :rofl:

You put Drai's up as your primary example of why you think Las Vegas' house scene is better than SF's or LA's?

Absolutely. Not a single venue is cleaner, with better looking people and a consistenly solid vibe "regularly"---read every single weekend(Fri/Sat nights)than Drai's.

I honestly don't think you go there. And judging by your comments below, you obviously don't.

Miguel Migs, Mark Farina and Doc Martin are some of the very best in the business when it comes to house, and they play the bay regularly, at least once a month.

I've met Miguel about 10+ times and his sound is "OK" relatively speaking. I'm not into Latin/Soulful House that much. I have his beats. I actually like Bob Sinclair more.

Mark is cool. He's spun on the roof of Pure a couple of times while I was there. Doc Martin "best in the business" according to whom?---You?

Parties such as Qool, which features SF standouts Jondi and Spesh, Satellite features Scott Carelli as well as regular special guests from the world of house music, Miguel Migs hosts Salted, Doc Martin regularly plays Remedy, Second Sunday, hosted by Release and held at 1015, also regularly hosts house DJs. Also, there are tons of up-and-comers such as Jeffrey Allen and others. Danny Tenaglia, who just played SF this past Saturday, doesn't play cities where the house scene is dead. He plays for the people who "get it".

C'mon now brother. I get it. I would encourage you to come meet me in Vegas over Superbowl weekend and see how "I roll". You won't be dissapointed and my group will make sure you have a good time. I know Danny well. The rest of what you just mentioned is what I already referred to as the "local scene on select nights" in the Bay. I give it cred.

As far as LA goes, you avoided mentioning that Vanguard has hosted nights including Doc Martin and Mark Farina together, as well as Kaskade.

Vanguard is a quality venue usually run by low life wannabe losers with no clout/game or understanding of what it is that House Heads want. Obviously the exception is Deep on Sunday nights. It's a little too overly gay for my groups tastes, but the music is usally the best on the West Coast and the spacious dance floor is excellent too.

Naked use to be a good show but it's turned into a "low rent" rave scene too often with wack ass promoters. Yeah...LA Late...you heard me and you know it's true more than you will admit. ;-)

I was at both of these nights, and they had great turnouts from LA's legions of househeads. Were you at either one of these?

Negatory. But I have seen Kaskade plenty including at Taboo in Vegas at MGM.

They also have many great house nights coming up. LA is loaded with house talent. Doc Martin holds underground parties on a regular basis, and does a lot for the LA house scene. John Do and Justin Gourley have been throwing their ode to house music, Basic, for a little better than four years now. There are also tons of other great house DJs in LA including Sugar Ant Invasion (Steve Chipman and Marc Gottlieb), Architects of Sound (John Day and Eddie Clay), Jimmy Maheras, Justin Sloe, Jonathan Neil, Hoang Luu and so many others.

You are definitely mentioning a lot of Underground DJ's who are probably your friends or something. I'm sure I've caught one of these guys spin at some point. Not denying they have game, just don't really know who they are.

I will give you credit for mentioning Deep, which is one of the best house music parties on the west coast. Just like San Francisco, if you would say LA's house scene is dead, then you simply aren't looking. I am baffled as to how you can say that, seeing as how you live there. The house scene extends far beyond Avalon. Avalon is just the tip of the iceberg.

Avalon is a crack house on most nights. Dirty upstairs on the patio and the music(other than when world class DJ's are there)is a bit too tribal for my tastes.

I've never heard Chris Garcia, but since he just got the residency slot in the house room at Jet, I will be hearing him soon

You are in for a treat. He is my boy and has a super sound/vibe. I wonder if that means he's out of Drai's now????

You guys are talking about a house scene and Chicago is not even in the page well check this out:

1.11: DJ Rush, Frank Kvitta, Marco Remus, DJ Bold @ Tini Martini

1.13: Three, Kyle Smzrlo, Jay Prasad @ Soundbar

1.13: Jazzanova, Tortured Soul, Brad Owen @ Metro

1.13: Mark Farina @ Zentra

1.14: Bryan Zentz, Steve Christian, Sassmouth, Enots @ Zentra

1.14: Shy FX @ Sonotheque

1.15: DJ Icey @ Spybar

1.20: Dj Hyper, Tolgar, Local Hero @ Soundbar

1.20: Jason Hodges, Justin Long @ Zentra

1,21: Frankie Bones, Woody McBride (live), Paul Anthony @ Vision

1.21: Derek Plaslaiko @ Tini Martini

1.27: East Coast Boogiemen @ Zentra

1.28: Donald Glaude, Eddie Halliwel, Nick Rockwell @ Vision

2.4: Heather @ Smartbar

2.4: Localized @ Vision

2.9: Dimitri from Paris @ Smartbar

2.10: D:Fuse, Nosmo, Dino G, Diskokity @ Spybar

2.10: Stewart Walker (live) @ Smartbar

2.11: Mistress Barbara, Avex Axiom @ Vision

2.11: Colette, J-Phlip @ Smartbar

2.15: Mylo @ Abbey Pub

2.18: Speedy J (live), Gabe Palomo, Sassmouuth, Frankie Vega @ Vision

2.18: Saint Ettiene @ Metro

2.23: Marques Wyatt @ Smartbar

2.24: RJD2, Aceyalone @ Metro

2.24: Alexi Delano, Common Factor @ Smartbar

2.24: James Zabiela @ Soundbar

2.25: Miles Maeda, Ryan Olson @ Smartbar

2.25: Blank and Jones @ Vision

3.2: Andy Caldwell @ Smartbar

3.3: Matthew Dear aka Audion @ Smarbar

3.4: Kaskade, Manic @ Smartbar

3.4: Deetron @ Vision

3.17: Ellen Allien @ Smartbar

3.19: Dave Seaman, Chris Walsh @ Vision

3.30: Jazzanova, Dixon @ Smartbar

3.31: Steve Bug @ Smartbar

4.21: Ladytron @ Metro

4.28: Michael Mayer @ Smartbar

And this are just the main parties there are tons of underground venues that host local dj's every single night. Come to Chicago if you want to here good house music