Clubplanet Nightlife Community

[Review] James Holden @ BED - I thought he sucked!

Electro does not suck. Its a great sound. Hit me up if you want, I have some electro bombs, ill send ya. The shit is the new up and coming, and every DJ is playing it. Even Boris and VC play it in there sets a lil.

Do me a favor Get this track Rokysopp - What else is there(Trentemoeller mix)

Electro Bomb, if u dont like that track, I dont know what u like

rayray, its been around.. its isnt really "new up and coming" but actually on the way out

...he even played three of his monster productions / remixes on Saturday (Safari, A Break in the Clouds, and The Sky Was Pink)

Thanks for standing up for Holden. I wanted too, but it would be like talking to a blank wall. I wanted to point out he didn't play "sky was pink", but He did play "the wheel". I know, I was there from 12am to 4:30-4:45am. He played all the best tracks from his recent sets saturday night... lots or Nathan Fake tracks. I was in Heaven. I must say I would have enjoyed the set more if it was in spirit (because of spirits system), but spirit had THUG night that nite. I heard only two electro tracks that night... the rest was like you said, pure minimal sweetness with hard prog bassline which holden is known for. I do agree as soon as I read this kid was going to see Holden after Armin's fluffly stuff, I knew the review wasn't going to be pretty.

Keep the review unbiased. Holden didn't spin trance therefore you didn't enjoy it. I too dislike electro but holden spun very few electro tracks so I enjoyed myself very much. You should have caught holden back when he spun at Cielo. He spun great prog trance that night with sick basslines. I think that might have been more your cup of tea.

tribal tech house?

To each his own, I just don't get how you are surprised at what he was playing considering thats exactly the stuff he is known for...

That's easy to explain - people I usually hang out with don't care about particular styles of music as long as it creates a vibe. And they actually liked the music. I equally enjoy trance, tribal, progressive, even some vocal, but the DJ has to be able to create a vibe, which Holden clearly failed to do. Didn't you see how whenever the beats became progressive people would scream in anticipation, and then Holden turns some knob all the way to the left, the beat goes away and everyone gets this completely confused WTF look on their faces?

tribal tech house?

To each his own, I just don't get how you are surprised at what he was playing considering thats exactly the stuff he is known for...

That's easy to explain - people I usually hang out with don't care about particular styles of music, and they actually liked him yesterday. They can't explain what the music is like, though, and their tastes are somewhat different from mine.

Personally I equally enjoy trance, tribal, progressive, even some vocal, but the DJ has to be able to create a vibe, which Holden clearly failed to do. Didn't you see how whenever the beats became progressive people would scream in anticipation, and then Holden turns some knob all the way to the left, the beat goes away and everyone gets this completely confused WTF look on their faces?

That's easy to explain - people I usually hang out with don't care about particular styles of music as long as it creates a vibe. And they actually liked the music. I equally enjoy trance, tribal, progressive, even some vocal, but the DJ has to be able to create a vibe, which Holden clearly failed to do. Didn't you see how whenever the beats became progressive people would scream in anticipation, and then Holden turns some knob all the way to the left, the beat goes away and everyone gets this completely confused WTF look on their faces?

well, thats exactly what a good dj does...he builds up anticipation to an amazing track and everyone goes nuts. Guys like Armin, Tiesto, PVD, they just play banger after banger, big song after big song. i personally appreciate and respect djs who can rock a dance floor and build up a vibe with as few big tracks as possible..it definitely takes more skill.

And idk, maybe you spent a lot of time in the bathroom on saturday night, cause almost everyone was going nuts to the minimal beats he threw on.

lol, Holden was on heroin and playing electro with occassional tribal tracks? hahaha

You are in serious need of a clue my man.

I was there from about 12-3:30 and didn't hear a single electro track, you must not know what electro is. He played a lot of tech house and mixed in progressive. And to say the kid was on heroin because he wasn't looking up, wow. He was in the zone, that is all. Not all djs have to wave their hands around like Armin or tiesto to get a crowd into their set.

was about to say the same thing... I didn't hear one electro track all night.. (I love electro).. that was minimal tech house.

well, thats exactly what a good dj does...he builds up anticipation to an amazing track and everyone goes nuts. Guys like Armin, Tiesto, PVD, they just play banger after banger, big song after big song. i personally appreciate and respect djs who can rock a dance floor and build up a vibe with as few big tracks as possible..it definitely takes more skill.

And idk, maybe you spent a lot of time in the bathroom on saturday night, cause almost everyone was going nuts to the minimal beats he threw on.

Actually a good DJ throws amazing tracks one after the other, each track better than the next; you wonder how much better can it get and it still gets better, so that at 7 in the morning you don't want to leave, but staying just becomes a physical impossibility.

And you're right - I spent too much time waiting for the bathroom, because it was full of people throwing up from hearing this garbage of a music!

Actually a good DJ throws amazing tracks one after the other, each track better than the next; you wonder how much better can it get and it still gets better, so that at 7 in the morning you don't want to leave, but staying just becomes a physical impossibility.

And you're right - I spent too much time waiting for the bathroom, because it was full of people throwing up from hearing this garbage of a music!

Well, playing banger/big song too early is like having a premature ejaculation... I like to be teased a little bit... :)

Well, playing banger/big song too early is like having a premature ejaculation... I like to be teased a little bit... :)

haha well put!

The staff @ bed were sooo rude!...it was such a hassle to go from 1 room to the next...u had to have a "special stamp". I gave my $ to the wrong person at 1st had to get refunded and pay someone else...made $5 in the process (haha serves them right) Got yelled @ for being in the wrong part of the terrace. ok enuff complaining...

James Holden def made up for it tho. I don't know what people are talking about the music was great...was def feelin in...was a little out of it from hearing AvB the night b4 but def didn't hear any electro lol I like the intimate setting but Holden was def in his own little world.

Teased - yes, premature - no. Whenever Boris does Crobar, it's a short build up followed by a 5-hour orgasm. Holden experience reminded me of what my friend said about her boyfriend: "he just doesn't do it right; sometimes it starts feeling really good, but he screws it up anyway!"

haha well put!

The staff @ bed were sooo rude!...it was such a hassle to go from 1 room to the next...u had to have a "special stamp". I gave my $ to the wrong person at 1st had to get refunded and pay someone else...made $5 in the process (haha serves them right) Got yelled @ for being in the wrong part of the terrace. ok enuff complaining...

James Holden def made up for it tho. I don't know what people are talking about the music was great...was def feelin in...was a little out of it from hearing AvB the night b4 but def didn't hear any electro lol I like the intimate setting but Holden was def in his own little world.

I guess you understand Holden's little world better than I do... Good for Holden - it's awesome when a woman can understand man's innermost... ah, whatever, you get the point.

I definitely agree - staff was extremely rude and this "special stamp" business annoyed the hell out of me. On the way down, they literally pushed people out of the elevator into the street - I swear it felt like I was in a Russian jail!

!

actually, most people who know anything about DJing would disagree with you. A really good dj will take the crowd up, down, up again and all over the place during the course of a night, not just play banger after banger, and only go up. That gets boring and requires no imagination.

actually, most people who know anything about DJing would disagree with you. A really good dj will take the crowd up, down, up again and all over the place during the course of a night, not just play banger after banger, and only go up. That gets boring and requires no imagination.

Sure, I'll take your word for it. But people who don't know anything about DJing and only care about the vibe and having a great time really don't like it when a DJ can't lead anywhere after (s)he played a great track(s). Or, worse, when someone "minimalist" takes over a nice place on a Saturday night. Isn't there a basement around NYU that he could rent so that those freaks can stand around him and watch him experiment? Man, it's a good thing I didn't take a table like I was about to!

Did he just compare Boris to Holden???....

Teased - yes, premature - no. Whenever Boris does Crobar, it's a short build up followed by a 5-hour orgasm. Holden experience reminded me of what my friend said about her boyfriend: "he just doesn't do it right; sometimes it starts feeling really good, but he screws it up anyway!"

Sure, I'll take your word for it. But people who don't know anything about DJing and only care about the vibe and having a great time really don't like it when a DJ can't lead anywhere after (s)he played a great track(s). Or, worse, when someone "minimalist" takes over a nice place on a Saturday night. Isn't there a basement around NYU that he could rent so that those freaks can stand around him and watch him experiment? Man, it's a good thing I didn't take a table like I was about to!

Thanks for the warning about this place. I don't like people staring at dj's myself. Go do something like dance! As for the electro topic it's good in doses but I can't deal with just electro. Not just yet.