Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Distortion Disko, Bank, Opaline & Happy Valley - for gay-friendly hipsters

Personally I like mixed bars, not too straight, not too gay. Spaces that are all about the music draw in a crowd from every angle however I haven't really found that type of club yet in NYC. However this is what I've found:

Distortion Disko at Duvet on Thursdays has some really good electro music tho Larry of course throws in some more mainstream stuff to keep the crowd happy. It's officially gay but it's filled with clubkids and some straights. It's a very stylish crowd. If you're at all comfortable being around gay people and want to see what hipster is, go to Distortion Disko.

Opaline on Fridays - 4 floors. If you're looking for massive amount of people with a wide variety of music this is the place. Although it gets a little too insane for my taste sometimes.

Happy Valley on Tuesday - Going this Tuesday for the 1st time but I've heard nothing but excellent things about this club.

Bank on Saturdays starting 2/18. Larry's new club promises to be just as good, if not better, than Distortion Disko.

Bank on Saturdays starting 2/18. Larry's new club promises to be just as good, if not better, than Distortion Disko.

Will try it, I really like Larry Tee.

If you like those places, maybe you'll also like MisShapes every Saturday at Don's Hill, and Motherfucker once a month usually on 3 days weekend at various venues. Those 2 parties are more Rock than Electro though.

I haven't been to Opaline since it moved but in the past always found it to be all about the EVil scene and not really about the music (at all)--has it changed?

For the one who didn't get it, "EVil" is for East Village, not the

"Evil" George Bush would actually say if he'd go to Opaline.

And yes you are correct, most of the places above are mainly about the "scene" ; and depending on the place you'll hear great music or not (Larry Tee's great for example) --can't speak about Opaline or the new Tuesdays since they fired their Djs few weeks back.