Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pioneer dj battle @ 54 last night

marcblemberg

I just got back from studio 54, and watched the DJ pioneer battle.

Let me start by saying that the DJ's that call themselves DJ's should be ashamed of themselves.

they go on stage pop in a CD and a dvd, push play and scratch a dvd ... what the hell is that? and they were seriously thinking they were good...

I couldn't believe my eyes on the sheer lack of anytype of creativity. NONE.

Then dJ-P gets on the wheels of steel with his wax records and waxed every wanna be DJ's ass.

I cannot understand for the life of me how these brother's can call themselves DJ's and keep a straight face.

Mr. Freeze

Rock Steady Crew

3cd70308.jpg

Don't hate the players, hate the market. I'd be no different than you, if I showed up to a "DJ battle" and saw everyone using Pioneer CDJ decks, I'd be pissed off too, but not at the DJs.

The contestants weren't the ones calling it a DJ battle -- it's the promoter, venue and sponsor. Sounds like it should have been called the "Pioneer CDJ Battle."

I'm curious about the DVD stuff you mention -- was there a video? If so, then the event was mislabeled even more than it seems...

Don't hate the players, hate the market. I'd be no different than you, if I showed up to a "DJ battle" and saw everyone using Pioneer CDJ decks, I'd be pissed off too, but not at the DJs.

The contestants weren't the ones calling it a DJ battle -- it's the promoter, venue and sponsor. Sounds like it should have been called the "Pioneer CDJ Battle."

I'm curious about the DVD stuff you mention -- was there a video? If so, then the event was mislabeled even more than it seems...

Yes, there was, CD and DVD turn tables...

IM not hating on them but come on,the job of a DJ is to be good, they were truly weak..wack no kind of understanding of mixing or starching.

There was one guy that started to scratch with the CD decks, and I say again CD decks, and was smiling at the audience like he really believed he was scratching, oh my god I couldn't believe my eyes,this brother really was convinced that he was doing something special..cOh my god CD decks don't skip. my man was just lost...

Ya I understand what your saying, but these guy's did nothing special i mean NOTHING....

With all that technology you would think they do something even a little creative, but NO it was purely wack,when these guys were doing there thing on stage no DJ was paying attention to the other, but when P when on they all rushed the stage.

On one hand, I feel bad for them, but on the other hand, man this is there job, to take people on a musical journey... DJ-P took two turn tables and a mixer and used only wax and humiliated everyone...

It doesn't matter what the competition was called, the point is these wanna be DJ's should be ashamed of themselves...

Mr freeze

Rock Steady crew

Mixing DVDs is unique in that it incorporates video with the audio. I've heard that the Pioneer DVJ-X1s can't be manufactured quickly enough to meet the demand right now. I don't know anything about the Studio 54 battle, but DVD mixing is viewed as the next generation of djing among some of today's DJs. I believe the next Serato release will also include the option to mix video files (it may already be available).

Mixing DVDs is unique in that it incorporates video with the audio. I've heard that the Pioneer DVJ-X1s can't be manufactured quickly enough to meet the demand right now. I don't know anything about the Studio 54 battle, but DVD mixing is viewed as the next generation of djing among some of today's DJs. I believe the next Serato release will also include the option to mix video files (it may already be available).

I agree with you, but what IM saying is these so called DJ's really did

nothing special with this incredible technology,NOTHING at all.

It was really embarrassing.

so are they supposed to make people dance or stand and watch?

This will be great if it gets in the hands of a creative person ... but for what I saw, they should all be ashamed of there self's.

Respect

Mr freeze

Rock steady Crew

Fair criticism if all the guys in the "battle" were nothing special... but it's not really fair to compare them to P, is it? Like you've said (and I've heard and seen), the guy is phenomenal, and he should blow away the room when he steps up.

:)

Serious question now... I don't know this at all as I'm not a local, but I'm curious, how many local (v)DJs would have fared better in this "battle?"

Fair criticism if all the guys in the "battle" were nothing special... but it's not really fair to compare them to P, is it? Like you've said (and I've heard and seen), the guy is phenomenal, and he should blow away the room when he steps up.

:)

Serious question now... I don't know this at all as I'm not a local, but I'm curious, how many local (v)DJs would have fared better in this "battle?"

Id have to say that most of the Vegas DJ's would have smoked these guy's...No problem...

I do not understand how these DJ's get work?

Are club owner completely out of tune with what's good or bad?

I have to say, there was lots of club owners there and IM sure after seeing a real DJ-P,they will not hire these wanna be DJ's again.

Mr. Freeze

Rock steady crew.

My opinion is that Vegas has expanded its nightclub offerings so quickly that the dj talent pool is spread thin, just like when the NFL added expansion teams.

I have never before seen so many djs in one town who cannot even beat match, let alone scratch and chop, etc. And these guys keep finding work. It amazes me as well.

I was there too..... I don't care if you hate freeze for his opinion but Freeze is old school and has a good eye for raw talent.. but that battle (if you can even call it a battle) was horrible... They all played on the new Pioneer DVD players. Im not hating cause they played on the new technology, but I was expecting them to do something with it!!! I would have had mad respect if they tried something and fucked up, I would understand the technology is new. But everyone of those guys had pre-edited DVD's, all they did is press play and scratched over the top of it... None of them.... yes absolutely none of them truely cut up the video and did anything creative at all. they sat at home they made some preprogrammed video clips stuck it the DVD players then scratched over it. And the they were not even good at that.

I wasn't expecting much out that night... but damn I was not impressed at anytime the whole night.... except for DJ P... but I won't even count him... he did his normal thing and like always he gains more and more of my respect.. that guy is one of the best DJ's Ive seen.

My opinion is that Vegas has expanded its nightclub offerings so quickly that the dj talent pool is spread thin, just like when the NFL added expansion teams.

I have never before seen so many djs in one town who cannot even beat match, let alone scratch and chop, etc. And these guys keep finding work. It amazes me as well.

well said.

well said.

I have to agree with that to.

But the problem is the club owners hire trendy promoters and they are the ones that suggests whats hot to them...

Ones the club owners start seeing real DJ's get down as DJ-P demonstrated in studio 54 that night he dimolished everyone...

IM sure DJ's will start to be fired left and right.

And club owners will start to Scott there own talent.

Most of the DJ's that promoters bring into town from even NY, just purely suck ... look at johno peters.he played at studio and people were walking out on him.

well said.

But the problem is the club owners hire trendy promoters and they are the ones that suggests whats to them hot...

Ones the club owners start seeing real DJ's get down as DJ-P demonstrated in studio 54 that night he dimolished everyone...

IM sure DJ's will start to be fired left and right.

well said.

But the problem is the club owners hire trendy promoters and they are the ones that suggests whats to them hot...

IM sure DJ's will start to be fired left and right.…club owner will be making diferent choices.

Its been years since the days of (cool hurk)(Grand Wizard Theodore) (Flash Master don)

(Charlie chace)that a DJ has been able to make me say wow, that shit was incredible.

Then I heard DJ-P and never have heard or seen a DJ rock the turn tables the way he does.

I don't push him because iv become good friends with him,but because people have to see this artist at work...

any way much respect to you all..

3cd70308.jpg

Mr freeze

Rock steady Crew

IM sure DJ's will start to be fired left and right.…club owner will be making diferent choices.

Its been years since the days of (cool hurk)(Grand Wizard Theodore) (Flash Master don)

(Charlie chace)that a DJ has been able to make me say wow, that shit was incredible.

Then I heard DJ-P and never have heard or seen a DJ rock the turn tables the way he does.

I don't push him because iv become good friends with him,but because people have to see this artist at work...

any way much respect to you all..

3cd70308.jpg

Mr freeze

Rock steady Crew

:rock: one of the best posts ever by you. :rock: !!!!

You gotta remember, in general, who often owns venues, and often why they care to own a venue.

Just this week I was chatting with someone new to the industry that was talking about a certain random 2 venues in a certain city that the person knew nothing about the history behind these 2 venues. ... Unpaid subcontractors, employee's check delivered weekly unsigned, subpartners calling for audits of lead partners. Do you think these two venues care if their crowd is fake, music is fake, or drinks are fake (watered down and overpriced) if there employee checks are unsigned? Hardly.

In every industry there is good, there is bad, and there is very bad.

Quality is always in the detail. BS is always in the fluff.

:rock: one of the best posts ever by you. :rock: !!!!

You gotta remember, in general, who often owns venues, and often why they care to own a venue.

Just this week I was chatting with someone new to the industry that was talking about a certain random 2 venues in a certain city that the person knew nothing about the history behind these 2 venues. ... Unpaid subcontractors, employee's check delivered weekly unsigned, subpartners calling for audits of lead partners. Do you think these two venues care if their crowd is fake, music is fake, or drinks are fake (watered down and overpriced) if there employee checks are unsigned? Hardly.

In every industry there is good, there is bad, and there is very bad.

Quality is always in the detail. BS is always in the fluff.

Your right.

Mr Freeze

Rock Steady crew

as far as the performance..it was very interesting to see everyones choice of track and technique. Yeah Some were pretty bad..but then again I am not into that type of music so I cant really say tooo much about it. BUT I CAN SAY THIS.. DJ P is a great DJ.. much respect to him..

But unless I knew any better I would say he had a CD in there as well..because he has played the same EXACT set over and over and over. So when FREEZE is here talking about DJ's using PLAYLISTS on a computer and what not.. UMMM better check with your boy first because we knew what tracks were coming... because he has played this over and over for a few months now.. DJ-P was very entertaining to watch.. great hands..But playing ACAPPELLA tracks and scratching over the top with SWEET HOME ALABAMA or whatever.. is almost the same as playing a CD and scratching over it.( MY OPINION).. I do admit DJ-P is great at his style of mashup..But I will have to check him out at TABU and hopefully will not hear the same songs in a row..Change it up a bit is all im saying...Its easy to see them do it in DJ battles, because you have 1 time to WOW THE SHIT out of people..but when you are a resident.. umm... its kinda boring to know what songs are coming up....could just buy a demo from him..put it on at home and get naked and drunk with some chicks ..and not have to worry about the line.. the crowd..the drive home..etc...

Great Tracks

Great Energy

But Boring.... Just my opinion..

as far as the performance..it was very interesting to see everyones choice of track and technique. Yeah Some were pretty bad..but then again I am not into that type of music so I cant really say tooo much about it. BUT I CAN SAY THIS.. DJ P is a great DJ.. much respect to him..

But unless I knew any better I would say he had a CD in there as well..because he has played the same EXACT set over and over and over. So when FREEZE is here talking about DJ's using PLAYLISTS on a computer and what not.. UMMM better check with your boy first because we knew what tracks were coming... because he has played this over and over for a few months now.. DJ-P was very entertaining to watch.. great hands..But playing ACAPPELLA tracks and scratching over the top with SWEET HOME ALABAMA or whatever.. is almost the same as playing a CD and scratching over it.( MY OPINION).. I do admit DJ-P is great at his style of mashup..But I will have to check him out at TABU and hopefully will not hear the same songs in a row..Change it up a bit is all im saying...Its easy to see them do it in DJ battles, because you have 1 time to WOW THE SHIT out of people..but when you are a resident.. umm... its kinda boring to know what songs are coming up....could just buy a demo from him..put it on at home and get naked and drunk with some chicks ..and not have to worry about the line.. the crowd..the drive home..etc...

Great Tracks

Great Energy

There is no way that he uses CD's ... in his car yes ... but never when he is pinning.

He is a battle DJ,thet would be a complete violation, in everything he stands for.

I hear what your saiying,but DJ-P's mixes are of his creation, It was him that started this style of mixing about 10 years ago...he can change up any of his mixes at any time,ive watched him do it live...

The difference is, scratching on a CD player that can never be counted as scratching, come on a CD player doesn't skip...

Get the records out on time, and mix it in and make sure that the pitches are right and exact is what makes it right find it interesting that he's that good were people would think its a computer..witch is why he was offered a $1000,000 thousand dallor spondershit contract with the CEO of pioneer that night, on the spot...Yes he will be taking it.

as for him playing the same set, he's playing at a club so we all know that its different people every night. every DJ does have there own different line ups, but the difference with him is it's of his creation...if he was to be in a DJ battle, and they give him 10 records, he will put some thing together within a ten minuet time frame, and rock the battle, no problem, and that's what makes him different from the others..if the worst thing that happens is that you've heard his mixes again when you go to hear him play then, all i can say is, there his mixes that he took the time to put togethere,there not premixed records ... but let me say,ive seen him in DJ battles and when its time to switch it up, oh my god can the man rock it ... if you want to see him at slide this Sunday night? just hit me up and ill put you on the list...

The hottest spot in Vegas on a Sunday night check out slide.

The only pure real deal & only Old School Funk and Soul spot in Las Vegas.

Others claim to be real, but it takes more then a rap CD to make it a real Funk & Soul Spot

See the turn table mix Master D.J.P rip it live and direct in front of your eyes on the dance floor.

And check out VH1 Old School Honoree Mr. freeze From the world famous Rock steady crew rock It Live.

we will take any B,Boy Or DJ Challenge from anyone.

@ Tabu the Ultra Lounge

MGM

Click on flier for animated invite.

3cd70308.jpg

Mr. Freeze

Rock Steady Crew

With all due respect, CDs skip too but I understand your point.

Here's a funny observation though...

Last night Kid Capri rocked OPM but he opened his set with CDs. That's right he was using the Pioneers and I gotta tell you, he was uncomfortable. But he had to use it, why? Because he had to rock a bay area set and he doesn't have the vinyl for any of that stuff. He still did his thing. He played "Tell Me When To Go (e-40, keak da sneak)" FOUR times in two hours and each time the crowd went NUTS. The funniest part is that he notices the Bay Area craze and is fascinated by it. He even wore a tee shirt that said "I'm getting hyphy and going dumb." He stopped the music a few times and paid respect to the forefathers of Bay Area hip-hop. That was very cool and I respect him even more for doing that.

Tonight I am honored to share the decks with DJ Rectangle, D.M.C. champ from the 90s. He knows how to energize any crowd.

-DJMW

Great Tracks

Great Energy

What DJ P does is still his creation weather he does the same mixes all the time is one thing at least he is doing the same mixes live.

What those guys did that night would be the same as DJ P putting a pre-made CD in then scratching over it. Most the video they used was pre edited... they really were not mixing it live... a little bit but not much.