Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pioneer dj battle @ 54 last night

marcblemberg

But unless I knew any better I would say he had a CD in there as well..because he has played the same EXACT set over and over and over. So when FREEZE is here talking about DJ's using PLAYLISTS on a computer and what not.. UMMM better check with your boy first because we knew what tracks were coming... because he has played this over and over for a few months now.. DJ-P was very entertaining to watch.. great hands..But playing ACAPPELLA tracks and scratching over the top with SWEET HOME ALABAMA or whatever.. is almost the same as playing a CD and scratching over it.( MY OPINION).. I do admit DJ-P is great at his style of mashup..But I will have to check him out at TABU and hopefully will not hear the same songs in a row..Change it up a bit is all im saying...Its easy to see them do it in DJ battles, because you have 1 time to WOW THE SHIT out of people..but when you are a resident.. umm... its kinda boring to know what songs are coming up....could just buy a demo from him..put it on at home and get naked and drunk with some chicks ..and not have to worry about the line.. the crowd..the drive home..etc...

Great Tracks

Great Energy

But Boring.... Just my opinion..

In my opinion, I think DJ P did a great job that night and he did NOT do the same mixes that he use to do during a normal club set. He was playing drum n bass and mixing different acappella over it. I have never sent it done before. It was great watching him mixing and pleasing to the ear at the same time, and this is true every time i have watched/heard him. He does some of the same mixes over tabu but he'll also pull some really great stuff that could only work with the Slide crowd. The reason he does some of the same mixes is because it works! DJ P makes it look easy, but it is really hard and you have to time it right. Not every acapella works with every instrumental. Not everyone that he plays for lives in Vegas, and maybe that will be their last time seeing DJ P.

In my opinion, I think DJ P did a great job that night and he did NOT do the same mixes that he use to do during a normal club set. He was playing drum n bass and mixing different acappella over it. I have never sent it done before. It was great watching him mixing and pleasing to the ear at the same time, and this is true every time i have watched/heard him. He does some of the same mixes over tabu but he'll also pull some really great stuff that could only work with the Slide crowd. The reason he does some of the same mixes is because it works! DJ P makes it look easy, but it is really hard and you have to time it right. Not every acapella works with every instrumental. Not everyone that he plays for lives in Vegas, and maybe that will be their last time seeing DJ P.

I agree with you %100... When you see someone all the time you will here the same mixes... Im sure Masterweb and any other DJ can tell you... anytime you are playing the same city 2-3 times a week it isn't easy to come fresh everytime.

With all due respect, CDs skip too but I understand your point.

Here's a funny observation though...

Last night Kid Capri rocked OPM but he opened his set with CDs. That's right he was using the Pioneers and I gotta tell you, he was uncomfortable. But he had to use it, why? Because he had to rock a bay area set and he doesn't have the vinyl for any of that stuff. He still did his thing. He played "Tell Me When To Go (e-40, keak da sneak)" FOUR times in two hours and each time the crowd went NUTS. The funniest part is that he notices the Bay Area craze and is fascinated by it. He even wore a tee shirt that said "I'm getting hyphy and going dumb." He stopped the music a few times and paid respect to the forefathers of Bay Area hip-hop. That was very cool and I respect him even more for doing that.

Tonight I am honored to share the decks with DJ Rectangle, D.M.C. champ from the 90s. He knows how to energize any crowd.

-DJMW

That's great im sure you guy's are going to bring the house down.

DJ Rectangle is increadible...

the crowd will have a great treat.

Later have a good night.

Mr freeze

Rock Steady crew

Mixing DVDs is unique in that it incorporates video with the audio. I've heard that the Pioneer DVJ-X1s can't be manufactured quickly enough to meet the demand right now. I don't know anything about the Studio 54 battle, but DVD mixing is viewed as the next generation of djing among some of today's DJs. I believe the next Serato release will also include the option to mix video files (it may already be available).

I'm not trying to be an asshole (even though I'm really good at it) or anything but actually I'm curious as to how one would "mix" videos (let alone scratch a DVD). I mean what is the basis for the mixing? Obviously video images don't have a "beat." Does anyone know? :D

It's the same as mixing cds, except the timeline of the video (that you would see on MTV for example) stays synced to the timeline of the audio. So if the DJ paused the music, the video would pause, and if he scratches the music, the video would go reverse and forward with the music. And if he brought in another song, a new video would come in at the same time.

from what I saw, and heard and can speculate. .is that the videos are playing and its just like using a crossfader.. I saw and heard one video.. and then saw small cuts.. maybe about every 3 or 5 seconds would see the other video cutting in and out..and the vocals or melody would come in a little stronger.. I could be wrong but thats how I was tracking it..

As far as DJ-P's the track selection. .I really liked it...his skill was phenomenal..being compared to a pre-edited or pre-mixed cd is a compliment because I didnt really hear any blemishes in his transitions...but I play TEATRO 3 nights a week and I do play some alot of the same tracks... not in order.. but i play them because of the responses that I have had with them before.. as well as playing 6-8 brand new tracks that no one has heard before.. But like I said.. I do realize he is in a competition and knows which set would blow everyones mind.. so I cant knock the man for doing what needs to be done to win.. Congrats to him on his deal with pioneer.. that is a major milestone for him...

To each and every individual that made my weekend a memorable one...nothing like dive right into the weekend knowing that you did your best during your week to be productive and good to your fellow human beings, then and only then...it's a celebration bitches!!!

thanks to:

The Refugee All Stars and The Marley Family:

I saw the Bob Marley and Friends documentary at the Colony Theatre and bro, it was amazing...even thought it could've been produced and edited better, it did show amazing footage from Bob, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Black Uhuru...I was in heaven. Cedella Booker, Bob's mother, did a spoken word bid with the backing of two congas and vocal arrangement by The Refugee All Stars, a musical group that came to Miami to be part of the film festival and was formed in a real refugee camp in Africa...great guys, incredibly talented and humble, I had a great conversation with the drummer and was blown away by his insght, a genius apprach to to live, mind boggling, thanks for inviting me to the after-party and letting me play the congas, that sure was fun!

:beer:

The Secret Machine for an amazing performance at Studio A, most probably the best venue for live acts in south florida today, if you have a chance get your ass there and enjoy the monster of place these guys built, next door to Space, can't miss it.

Jon Cowan for a great party last night at Shine, the place is amazing and needless to say, holds testament to your ongoing contribution to our scene...happy birthday dude!

Justin Johnson for playing "Big Pimpin'" for the Funk and inviting me to Nocturnal for the afterhours, express entrance, instantaineous v.i.p. status, hey, this guy doesn't take shit from anyone...oh yeah, Parantula does rock, tight!

:rock:

Big fuck you of the weekend:

Stupid The District is the biggest bitch of all venues in Miami, they fucking advertised a live performance by electronic reggae bad-asses Brazilian Girls just to lure close to 500 naive bastards (me included) onto their suck-ass under-developed venue, only to announce at 1am that there was no show...fuck you bitches, amateur pick-pocketers, wannabe alternative-morrissey-cock-sucking-bitches that you are...shit like this will definitively go down on your permanent record and come to bite you right on your asses...I have only one word to say to you emo, seudo-artsy bitches...Studio A...capice? The dj is a genius and the venue is amazing, you are ghetto.

MJM420, Digital Phoenix, Dark Angel and Melly Mel:

You punks made my day with your visit, you definitively know you're the funk when your doorbell rings and you have these 4 amazing characters just stopping by to say what's up...hey, much love! Yo Melly, now you know better, stay away from Toronto and Tampa... wink.gif D.P. thanks for the advise dude, I heard you loud and clear...it definitively matched what I had in mind and that proves once again we're on the same wave. Manny, next time let me know in advance so we can chill at the beach and yes Melly, you're coming too...so stfu! :biggrin: Raul, I hadn't seen you in ages...or have I? wink.gif thanks for the good vibes, gotta come out for Eric's next jam, we'll chill.

peace out

Funk

how was it going on for years when the Pioneer DVJ's are new... unless you work for MTV or something or one of those video jukeboxes that you order your song on TV doesnt really count ... so please.. do tell.. !! OH wait .. are you talking about those video walls in the cheezy clubs that just play video after video with no real beat matching or mixing...

Doing what called A B ROLLS in the video world doesnt count... Yes I know about AB ROLLS and how to merge video and audio ontop of eachother..

Video mixing in Pioneers format hasn't been around.... but mixing video has always been around. It just hasn't been popular so no one has been put on a stage to do it... Look up video mixers they are set up similar to audio mixers with crossfaders etc. Video guys use them at raves clubs etc. Pioneer is making DVJ's so the video mixer can be put in the spotlight like a DJ. Hoping someone will get really creative with them, which we are waiting to happen. You can do what all those guys did that night with older technology.. I have seen people put video on vinyl and play it off 1200's, but it never went anywhere.

That night they made these DVJ's and these DVJ DJ's seem like something special and it was bullshit. Soon someone will break out and be innovative with those, as of now haven't heard or seen it yet.

... and AB rolls do count its just a different way of doing it