Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ VIBE AT CROBAR 3/11/06 + vic afterhours evolve

vibe played approx 12-ish to 6:45. I understand that kid chris might have opened but it seemed by the time i was on the floor before 1 am it was vibe.

basically i will describe vibe's set as 3 stages. from 12-2-ish he played hard tribal & progg tribal with some cool basslines. his skills are large, especially in playing 2 discs together or bringing record 2 out from under record one so it just explodes. stage 1 was really good, most of the floor was filled & people were moving the whole set. even if 'joe clubber' doesnt know who dj vibe is [and not that rank hiphop dj vibe interloper] the knowledgable clubbers have heard of vibe & it seems anyone who has heard him live knows what he's about & the aura he creates.

i caught vibe twice in 1995-96. at roxy & at twilo. the twilo set knocked my socks off.

i saw him twice at arc, i think both opening for DT?

i saw him twice at spirit in 2004, the first set was 1 of the best ive heard this century. the 2nd i didnt like the rank spirit crowd..

stage 2 last night. from about 2 am-430 or so. vibe really turned it on. he plays a very unique sound, its progressive its tribal but its also futuristic. there were 2 dark deep house dubby tacks last night that almost sounded like reggae house if that makes any sense. sometimes coxy will bang futuristic tech house. the best records that howells or sander occasionally play sound like future deep tech dubby house. that was the basis of vibe's stage 2 last night. it was extraordinary. like his 1st spirit set it was some of the coolest most forward dj music ive heard this century. stage 2 was ioff the charts. he completely justified his rep as 1 of the worlds top top djs

from 430-ish to 645 was stage 3. imo vibe as great as he is, has trouble with the climaxes of his sets. meaning he shows his aces in stage 2, and all he is left in stage 3 is to bang harder tribal,. harder house. i also thought he was introducing victor, gettting into victors pummeling hard tribal.

stage 3 was good, but just harder & made for fun tech-tribal banging dancing but it wasnt magic like stage 2. still I was hanging on every record from 12-ish to 6:45 very few djs get me that way.

stage 1 & 3 I'll rate at **** of 5. stage 2 I rate ***** stars.

average: ****1/2+ for vibe

victor came on at 645. ok this is my personal opinion. ive heard vic on & off for almost 10 years. basically i find his stomping hard tribal sound monotonous. you gotta agree vic always keeps the pummelling tribal house beat there. its interesting the way he weaves little vocal samples, or recognizable snippets into the tribal boom. but i dont think he plays records out the same way vibe or oakey does vic is all about the tease & then back to the 4/4. now admittedly when he brings the progg basslines its big. when he plays more of certain discs it can be good. he is pleasing his crowd at crobar. vibe had a full house but by 5, 6 it was rammed. the energy was big. ok imo i dont like vics crowd. i can deal w/shirtless at junior for example, even dt's shirtless crowd tho im not thrilled, but imo vics shirtless is a pretty degraded bunch. and imo the 718/nj that vic draws is not hot. ok admittedly w/vibe & VC i did see a FEW hotties but given the huge crowd, it wasnt attractive. in fact id have to call it a den of ickey. sm people say vics evolve is the best party right now. i didnt think so. [the vibe at ferrys LEF in january was better]. i liked his set after coxy more. his post chus/ceballos set was about like last night- to me, monotonous, oppressive. i did not rate the crowd last night. altho vibe had a cuter fanbase i think to some degree. now vic is doing what hes doing, its rammed & he is keeping the energy up to cox proportions. he is serving a specific style but i could only take it til like 8- last night., the crowd & packed was distasteful. now if i had come at 7 for vic maybe i cld have stayed til 2, 3. i went to crobar by 1130 so i made it 8 hours that is more than respectable. but i do not plan on going back to vic unless his opener is something major like vibe chus etc.

imo tribal is played better by vibe chus/ceballos & even sanchez last time. DTs tribal mix at spirit xmas was potent.

i am happy for those who swear by vic but based on 3 recent crobar sets i cannot. I'll give vic *** cos his crowd loves it & he has skills in his style/mix.

vibe was awesome I hope he's back soon at crobar i think hes loved by those in the know & a full crobar set, not having to lead into vic at 7, is in order. give vibe the whole night & imo we're looking at one of the best nights in nyc in 2006 imo.

dj vibe ****1/2+

victor ***

Currently listening:

Vol. 2-Global Grooves

By DJ Vibe

I cannot believe i missed this shit!! my boy';s birthday was upon me lol so i couldnt make it out and besides i was out the night before at DT and didnt lkike it much so i bounced. Dj vibe and calderone are my favorite dj's dt comes in 3rd place compared to them. The house dj vibe plays its sooo fucking Diffrent as far as creativity goes with the effects and shit like that and thats one of the reasons i love this guy. i'm telling you guys.. give this guy another year or two and he will be in the top 10 best dj's in the world i've been a fan for a long time now and i love Love his productions the guy has a great fanbase out in europe i think its time for him to start doing parties out here. he's a Force to be Reckoned with.

ps: Great review by the way. cheers and until next time

this party was my first 21+ nd i fucking loved the tribal bein thrown down..didnt stop dancing the whole time..cant wait to catch Vibe and Vic down in miami...im a trance head but the tribal is starting to creep up on me...and i can officially say i will be at every Victor Calderone party in NYC from now on

totally vibe's style is very unique and he has sounds & effects that no other djs gets live. once you hear him throwdown live i think you are convinced. as you know many innthe business consider him among top 10 or so and i would certainly go along with that. his style definitely conpares with soem of the best records ive ever heard hernan, sander or howells play, and i think at vibe's peak he is literally at DT or lawler level. his crobar set was as futuristic and as sonic as ever, and he even went a little harder than sometimes i think cos he knew vic would clean everyone's clock? i cant wait for vibe's return he is so so awesome

ps now that i realize it was chris from 12-2 i will say he did a strong opening set- he set up vibe perfectly & had me thinking it was vibe up there already!!!!

I cannot believe i missed this shit!! my boy';s birthday was upon me lol so i couldnt make it out and besides i was out the night before at DT and didnt lkike it much so i bounced. Dj vibe and calderone are my favorite dj's dt comes in 3rd place compared to them. The house dj vibe plays its sooo fucking Diffrent as far as creativity goes with the effects and shit like that and thats one of the reasons i love this guy. i'm telling you guys.. give this guy another year or two and he will be in the top 10 best dj's in the world i've been a fan for a long time now and i love Love his productions the guy has a great fanbase out in europe i think its time for him to start doing parties out here. he's a Force to be Reckoned with.

ps: Great review by the way. cheers and until next time

wow, you definitely are the master of reviews Clinton. I have no idea how you remember all that stuff but it is a great reference for the rest of us! I was there from about 12:30-11:15 and I had a great time...it was my first time hearing Vibe and Calderone and I really liked both of them. The music has to be great for me to stay that late and I wasn't even tired when I left. The crowd was even trashier than usual earlier in the night, but I actually thought it was fun afterhours. I couldn't believe how packed it was the whole night...if you can't stand crowds definitely don't go to a Calderone party.