Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NFL Draft About To Be Shaken Up?

Brees reaches agreement with Saints

By BRETT MARTEL, AP sports Writer

March 14, 2006

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Free-agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to six-year contract Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints.

A team spokesman confirmed the agreement to The Associated Press shortly after the Miami Dolphins, who also had been courting Brees, instead traded for Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brees will take over for Aaron Brooks, who is expected to be released by New Orleans after his worst season since taking over as the Saints starter in 2000.

Brees has spent his entire five-year career with the San Diego Chargers, throwing for more than 3,000 yards in three of the past four seasons. He led the Chargers to a playoff appearance in 2004.

The signing could have major draft implications. The Saints have the No. 2 pick, which could be used for Southern Cal's Matt Leinart, who is expected to be available at that position. But New Orleans may not want another quarterback after signing Brees, and could opt to trade the pick or use it on another top prospect at a different position.

Saints officials did not immediately discuss details of Brees' new contract or how it may affect their draft plans.

Updated on Tuesday

LIONS SIGNED JON KITNA

SAINTS at #2 might draft MARIO WILLIAMS DE out of NC STATE. HE is the best defensive player in the draft.

Agree..

Saints will play there for like 1 more year, then i bet they move outta new orleans... who can afford to go to the games? They are still fucked up from katrina...

Having Culpepper playing for Miami is huge, The Dolphins have been trying for years to get a franchise quarterback, And it looks like we finally got one. :)

And they brought in a big offensive guard.. if the o-line holds up and ronnie brown explodes this year, the fish can be an instant contender with culpepper. Chris Chambers came on late last year.. and Randy McMichael had a good year at TE.. so there's hope for the fish...

The Lions will never be a good team if they continue with Matt Millen.. he sucks! I wear my FIREMILLEN shirt with pride :D GO DETROIT!

sorry but I'm not sold on Culpepper

His knee was described with words like "shredded" and doctors called the injury "potentially career ending". He will be less mobile and more vulnerable and with a weak knee like that if you get hit by a guy like Shawn Merriman do you think he will last? I don't. I think the next time he gets hit in the knees will be the last play of his career and the second round draft pick the Vikes got and the money Daunte will demand can be much better used on things like LB's and Offensive linemen. The last thing any team needs is another Charles Woodson to suck up those resources and then play a game or two and be gone with no impact. I am not trying to be negative just realistic. I think bring in a less expensive veteran like Aaron Brooks to be a backup and impart some wisdom to him and draft Cutler, Leinart or Young with the first round pick to be the new third QB. And think, the Dolphins have a mediocre at best offensive line and their recievers besides chambers are garbage. one guy aint gonna cut it in the pros. they want another marino as desperately as possible

I think Daunte is done in a year or two tops even though I think he was great

sorry but I'm not sold on Culpepper

+1

While I don't think the situation is as grave as you described, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the same player he was in Minny. Remember a huge chunk of his stats were accumulated throwing jump balls to the best receiver in the NFL... Take that away and he becomes fairly ordinary...

+1

While I don't think the situation is as grave as you described, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the same player he was in Minny. Remember a huge chunk of his stats were accumulated throwing jump balls to the best receiver in the NFL... Take that away and he becomes fairly ordinary...

he's got a receiver in chambers, but i really think moss was trying at the time which he isnt now and when moss tries his all, not even TO, Chad, or Torry can touch him

Remember that if you look at the contract Drew Brees signed with the Saints, it's essentially or could be essentially a one year deal. Now, Im no economics major, but why the hell would New Orleans sign an injured player with guaranteed money in excess of 8 million a year? For the first year?

My gut instinct tells me that the Saints are bluffing at the No.2 pick and will take Matt Leinart unless they receive a substantial offer from another team like a first and a third this year, and a first next year. I think Brees is a free agent next year again as I dont see him ever fully recovering from that injury.

I was very glad that the Dolphins balked on him because that could have been disasterous and set the franchise back another 2 to 3 years. That's not to say Culpepper is not a liability, which surely he is, but I would much rather have a player with bunked knees than a player coming off major arthroscopic shoulder surgury.. not to mention it's on his throwing arm.

Personally, I dont like either of them... and especially at this stage in their careers with these types of injuries. In addition Daunte really isnt the type of efficient QB that would fit a Nick Saban system. I still think the Dolphins will go QB in the draft in the 3rd round possibly picking up Charlie Whitehurst from Clemson. Giving up that second round pick hurt a bit, considering that the Dolphins are really thin in multiple positions (i.e. CB, OT, OG, QB,)

I dont know Brees' contract.....but then again, I wasnt talking about Drew Brees. I'm not sold on Brees either but then again I know a QB can get by without a gun but he cannot get by without his legs. remember jeff harbaugh and rich gannon? and do you remember what happened to randall cunningham when his legs went? (granted his arm did too, but he came back and could play a little)

regardless, like i was saying, daunte is a risk and a second round pick is a lot to give up for a guaranteed salary cap burden even though the fins got room. i agree that they should invest in a third or fourth round qb this draft....but they also need a whole lot more before they become a serious contender. i do like nick saban though....

in all honesty i'd like to see the fins or the bills or the jets to step up a little to push the pats for the simple reason that i was sick of hearing that the pats were in the easiest division and werent quality.

side note: i always want my team to prove they beat the best a la the pats a couple years ago and the sox during the yankees series and then the cardinals

I dont know Brees' contract.....but then again, I wasnt talking about Drew Brees. I'm not sold on Brees either but then again I know a QB can get by without a gun but he cannot get by without his legs. remember jeff harbaugh and rich gannon? and do you remember what happened to randall cunningham when his legs went? (granted his arm did too, but he came back and could play a little)

Joe Namath played a whole career on bunked up knees.

Chad Pennington, Tim Couch, Steve Walsh couldnt make it after having the same surgery done that Brees had.

Nah brah, I would rather have Culpepper and his bunked up knee than have Brees and an unfortunate headache and 10 million in debt

yeah, remember how the chargers were being labeled as the worse franchise in the NFL 2 years ago? breese was a bust, who the hell was antonio gates, manning dissed them, marty as coach?

breese had 3 good seasons in SD - gates wasn't even there for the first one and while LT is probably one of the most complete players in the NFL, LT would not have been as productive w/o a good QB that is able to open up the field and get their fairly imcompetent WR involved.

for the chargers sake, i hope phillip rivers is the real deal and doesn't end up being the reincarnation of ryan leaf. imo, they should've kept breese and traded rivers. the chargers are/were very close to becoming a true super bowel contender.

breese had 3 good seasons in SD - gates wasn't even there for the first one and while LT is probably one of the most complete players in the NFL, LT would not have been as productive w/o a good QB that is able to open up the field and get their fairly imcompetent WR involved.

for the chargers sake, i hope phillip rivers is the real deal and doesn't end up being the reincarnation of ryan leaf. imo, they should've kept breese and traded rivers. the chargers are/were very close to becoming a true super bowel contender.

3 good seasons?? :confused:

I only see one great one (2004), and one good one (2005). Every other one was average to bad. During his two good seasons he had the best RB in the NFL and the best TE in the NFL. You argue that LT would not have been as productive without Brees. I would argue that Brees would be a lot worse off without LT occupying so much of a defense's attention (both as a runner and a receiver) that the WR's and Gates got single coverage. I wouldn't exactly call Keenan McCardell incompetent btw...

Brees is a good option if you have the players around him to make plays. However, paying him $10 million per coming off that surgery (which included a partial rotator cuff tear) would be cap suicide imo. To me the risk / reward just isn't there. They didn't draft Rivers to be a career back-up. Let him play and see where they stand. I'm not saying this will be a smooth transition. I'm sure there will be bumps along the way but I'd be willing to bet that in a year or so they'll be better off...

2002 season was a pretty good season for basically a rookie QB.

qbr--com-att-%---yds--y/g-y/a--td-int

76.9 320 526 60.8 3284 205.3 6.2 17 16

it was a solid year for a guy starting his first year as QB in a very bad team.

mcardells best years were left behind in FL- non-factor in 2004.

SD doesnt turn around the franchise w/o breese and LT.