Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bottle service ban at hollywood clubs....

cool1g

i haven't heard it been banned at Avalon....

actually, that's one thing i'm wondering - what was the exact reasoning behind this and exactly who is affected? all of City of LA? just some club like Mood, LAX, Tropicana Bar?

the whole thing is weird.

actually, that's one thing i'm wondering - what was the exact reasoning behind this and exactly who is affected? all of City of LA? just some club like Mood, LAX, Tropicana Bar?

the whole thing is weird.

heard nothing about it so far. Moreover .... how ... alcohol is served is not a LAC issue, its a state ABC issue.

wow. i'm am totally ignorant as far as this is concerned, both as a non-drinker and as someone who has only been vip a couple of times.

it always seemed to me, though, that the whole point of blowing an insane amount of bucks was that the table could get a bottle of whatever and do what they wanted with it. that meant that they could avoid walking back and forth to the bar, have a comfy place to hang out, have a roomy place with a good view (generally) to hang out, and that they could make their drinks come as fast and strong as they wanted.

are you guys saying that my assumptions about the drinking part are untrue? please elaborate.

wow. i'm am totally ignorant as far as this is concerned, both as a non-drinker and as someone who has only been vip a couple of times.

it always seemed to me, though, that the whole point of blowing an insane amount of bucks was that the table could get a bottle of whatever and do what they wanted with it. that meant that they could avoid walking back and forth to the bar, have a comfy place to hang out, have a roomy place with a good view (generally) to hang out, and that they could make their drinks come as fast and strong as they wanted.

are you guys saying that my assumptions about the drinking part are untrue? please elaborate.

this thread is baffling. Not heard of any such ban in effect in LA City regarding a service that is State licensed, not City licensed.

no - you've got it down - that's the point of bottle service along with the 'vip' feeling/service. its just the fact you can't mix your own drinks anymore that changed.

no - you've got it down - that's the point of bottle service along with the 'vip' feeling/service. its just the fact you can't mix your own drinks anymore that changed.
that's huge. i dare say that particular freedom would be the most important part of it for many people.

http://www.la.com/blog/comments.php?id=2413_0_1_0_C

found it! the link above is the only online source i can find but it was verified by a friend that is a well known promoter.

Thanks for the link c'1q.

It really is a fascinating subject that I could write 3,000 word article on. In the world of nightlife there are many people, like reporters, that cover news developments and look to sources - promoters, city officials, etc - that often are really not the most informed source, but may be the most affected party, on the subject, because its their livelihood.

Basically, licensing of alcohol at a venue starts, emphasis, starts at a state level, with ABC.

That being sad, enforcement of ABC concerns turns to a local level - PD and your police permit.

Each venue has its own rules and requirements set up by ABC, often decades ago. Those are supposed to be enforced by PD.

Now when you talk about bottle service .... the way venues do bottle service in many cities has a great disparity, from re-corking, to being able to leave with the corked or unopened bottle. But I cant recall ever hearing anything about an ABC license distinctly differencing treatment of bottle service versus bartend-poured or meal-poured service.

So for PD to be saying, allegedly, something specifically about bottle service sounds as though something else, non bottle related, may have happened and the bottle issue has become the "punishment".

There has really lately been a great, how do you say it lightly, grey cloud as to how things are happening in venue treatment in Hollywood. If you watched the lynching for the benefit of a "ghostbar" venue (as he called it) that happened in the emminent domain proceeding last week, then you know the aura that is out there.

i wonder if they fact that many trendy hollywood places let in underage celebs and got called out on it recently, if the bottle service restrictions was 'payback' as you suggest. if you hear anymore on this, i'd be curious to see more info.

i wonder if they fact that many trendy hollywood places let in underage celebs and got called out on it recently, if the bottle service restrictions was 'payback' as you suggest. if you hear anymore on this, i'd be curious to see more info.

Im sending our feelers right now to see what people are saying.

I use to know/hang with more cocktail waitresses. They would be the first person to know after the owners/gms.

Its amazing what they ... and parking attendants know as much as gms ..... the business stories i could telll you ... lol

• 2 weeks later...

okay - i was told today that this past monday there was a meeting with the Hollywood Police Chief regarding this. their concern was people mixing their own drinks with a subtext of underage celebs drinking as the cause of the new rules. At the moment, its back to normal on this.