Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MDW vs. LDW

junior003

Comparing the two, at least based on 2004 and 2005...

In terms of people looking to party -- and dropping the cash to do so -- MDW is much bigger.

As Masterweb said, one of the big reasons is that for many it represents a launching point, whether the start of summer, the end of a school year or simply the return of warm weather (for the non-SoCal crowd, anyway).

Another big reason is that late May is when you have the biggest hype in the entertainment industry, from music to movies, everybody is pushing hard for success on MDW, and Vegas is certainly tied to the the entertainment business.

The final kicker is that from a purely economic standpoint, this country spends a significantly higher amount of money over MDW than they do over LDW. It's no coincidence that Vegas brings in more money overall in the first half of the year than it does in the second half (at least in terms of gambling and entertainment); when someone's wallet is a bit thinner, or they need to start saving up some money (e.g. for the holidays), Vegas is not the first place that comes to mind for a vacation or long weekend of partying.

And don't forget about corporate expense accounts, either. Back when I used to travel to Vegas for work every 2-3 weeks, it was always easier to get people to spend extra cash on nightlife in the first half of the year. Those involved in sales and marketing could always squeeze a bit more out of their budgets in May than they could in October. :)

Memorial is much better because it kicks off the summer vacation season. Labor day kicks off back-to-school. It will still be busy - but July 4th weekend should actually be better than Labor Day weekend.

Labor Day weekend is ALWAYS a much bigger weekend than 4th of July in Vegas...especially for the clubs

Because 4th of July is on a Tuesday, expect many people to take off Monday and head to Vegas on Saturday for an extra long weekend.

Tuesday being the celebrated holiday or "day off" from your job.

I know my wife and I are.

;-)

Jay C