Clubplanet Nightlife Community

yo, stop drinkin' yo cristal... now! dont buy it anymore just to spit it...

http://www.nobodysmiling.com/hiphop/news/86311.php

Jay-Z Says, Boycott Cristal For ‘Racist’ Comments

Thursday, June 15, 2006

By: Kenny Rodriguez

JayZ_shades.jpgDef Jam president Jay-Z has responded to comments made by Federic Rouzaud, managing director of Louis Roderer Cristal, who recently described Cristal’s popularity in the hip-hop world as “unwelcome attention.”

“What can we do?” Rouzauld told London-based Economist magazine, adding that the upscale champagne company views its hip-hop consumers with “curiosity and serenity.”

"We can't forbid people from buying it. I'm sure Dom Perignon or Krug would be delighted to have their business."

However, Jay-Z recently responded to Rouzaud, not only dismissing his comments as racist, but also announcing a boycott of the popular wine brand.

“It has come to my attention that the managing director of Cristal, Frederic Rouzaud views the 'hip-hop' culture as ‘unwelcome attention,’” said Jay.

“I view his comments as racist and will no longer support any of his products through any of my various brands including the 40/40 Club nor in my personal life.”

Jay, born Shawn Carter, also insisted that the 40/40 Club will now be serving only Krug and Dom Perignon to their customers who order high-end champagne.

This turn of events is a surprise considering how numerous rap artists – most notably Jay-Z himself – have repeatedly name-checked Cristal in their lyrics since the mid-1990s, prompting its rise in popularity among hip-hop consumers.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only reason everybody makes hype about cristal was cause of hip hop, that shit is nasty. yes i dont drink alcohol at parties but i do occasinally love wine and champagene at home or certain nights out with my lady.

Andboy who think that cristal is a good tasting drink is really stupid, its just expensive but that doesnt mean its good quality at all. Just over marketing thanks to hip hop.

the only reason everybody makes hype about cristal was cause of hip hop, that shit is nasty. yes i dont drink alcohol at parties but i do occasinally love wine and champagene at home or certain nights out with my lady.

Andboy who think that cristal is a good tasting drink is really stupid, its just expensive but that doesnt mean its good quality at all. Just over marketing thanks to hip hop.

nouveaux riche are far from connesiuers... i believe they go by "if its expensive it must be good..." lastly they couldve easily picked any brand but i dont believe chateau lafite rothschild rhymes with many things...

nouveaux riche are far from connesiuers... i believe they go by "if its expensive it must be good..." lastly they couldve easily picked any brand but i dont believe chateau lafite rothschild rhymes with many things...

it might not..but lil jon could do it

nouveaux riche are far from connesiuers... i believe they go by "if its expensive it must be good..." ..

..so true!...same with fashion........if it has a fancy name attached it must be hot........ugh ..sometimes i wonder...

so you label people as being stupid based on their taste buds? :rolleyes:

also, what is racist about what the Cristal guy said? That is bullshit.

When someone goes against hiphop, can eminem and paul wall pull the racism card too? :rolleyes:

not racism per se...but they can get angry..theyre part of the hip hop culture so its takin a shot @ them.
that is true.. but still how is what the cristal guy said racist ? its not cool to associate any genre of music with one particular race even if most artists that make up that genre are of one particular race