Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ferry Review

Got in around 1015....looked like the line for senior prom made kiddies on the line and inside.....opening dj was a joke......0 out of 5 stars....didnt set a good vibe for the crowd played all boring tracks......only good the thing was ferry walked throughout the crowd meeting his fans and saying hello.....ferry got on played 85% of his new album tracks galaxia, beautiful, fire, l.e.f., WATCH OUT, and the first track off l.e.f pretty good nothing compared to his residency nites at crobar....spun for like 2 hrs

3 1/2 out of 5 stars...then peter bailey closed the nite playing amazing dark beat thunder....place was pretty cleared out so there was plenty of room to dance.....played a sick track from its all gone pete tong.....5 out of 5 stars for the 40 minutes he spun...

big problem for the nite was the crowd......a lot of glow sticks and glow stick flying string BS taking up room for the dancers and instead of dancing a lot of the kidddies were swarming the dj booth taking pics and vids of ferald....vibe was kinda shitty and so was the opening dj....

also I thought the silverbull was supposed to be in attendance....didnt see him would have liked to got his take on the evening

1. where was gabe, said he was gonna come, oh well.

2. opening dj, kinda liked him, little house and a dash of trance at times, wasnt as bad as you are saying.

3. ferry was first rate. long time since i heard such a sweet set of trance in nyc. he was 10 times better then he was at crobar for his residency. lots of vocals just the way i like it.

4. peter baily?, who thought he would be a good closer for ferry? went from packed to empty in 10 mins. playing dark minimal tribal/house after 2 sweet hours of full all out trance and electro. not a fan of peters, less now.

5. as far as the crowd goes. who cares. the spirit was positive, people were friendly and enjoying the great music in all sorts of ways. trance = glow sticks thats the way it goes.

another great cielo show, 6/29 behrouz, extended set, gonna be sweet. see ya all there. john.

[quote name=tayama9

2. opening dj, kinda liked him, little house and a dash of trance at times, wasnt as bad as you are saying.

thank you - i realize im not going to do it for everyone - especially when it's more of a trance dj i'm opening up for and im more a house/electro dj but of course i have range and tried to adapt.

and...to add, i was the opener...openers aren't supposed to steal the headliners thunder - so i tried to keep it relatively level with the occasional peek - that's my philosophy on opening - build some tension and let the headliner be the star.

your welcome, didnt know that was you on the decks. was outside and in the back. talking to some othere folks that were there also stated that your set was right on. that hardest part of a djs job is to blend and remember where they are on the schedule to make all the transitions smooth. keep up the good work, john. good friend of vit dee.

sorry dave for bashing you,,,,but i would have liked it if you would have elevated the energy level in the place as opposed to keeping it very mellow and dry in anticipation for ferry....maybe drop some newer bangers that you know ferry wouldnt have played.....sunlounger- white sands.....monday bar---- sander van dorn - direct disko.....if you would have played tag team - whoomp there it is and the jock jams volume one cd from 1993 the crowd would have livened up....whatver to each his own.......

sorry dave for bashing you,,,,but i would have liked it if you would have elevated the energy level in the place as opposed to keeping it very mellow and dry in anticipation for ferry....maybe drop some newer bangers that you know ferry wouldnt have played...sander van dorn - direct disko............

WTF

He is the OPENER......Direct Disko is a peak Hour tune, not a tune for an opening DJ to play

I'm NOT sorry DAVE for sweet4wks bashing you, although you were the opener and I understand not trying to steal the show, but whatever, I'd rather have the crowd remember my set, and that I killed it, instead of just being another opening act to fill time before a REAL DJ gets on. Good luck opening for guys that spin tracks, not guys that just are fluff.

Signing off - BUTTONS

I'm NOT sorry DAVE for sweet4wks bashing you, although you were the opener and I understand not trying to steal the show, but whatever, I'd rather have the crowd remember my set, and that I killed it, instead of just being another opening act to fill time before a REAL DJ gets on. Good luck opening for guys that spin tracks, not guys that just are fluff.

Signing off - BUTTONS

how do you you think dj's like steve porter, desyn masiello, chris fortier, jonethan ojeda from spundae and countless others broke into the scene? they built reputations for being excellent openers who truly understood that you don't go to KILL it - you play tracks you love and that build a tension in the crowd so when the opener comes on it can erupt.

openers aren't supposed to kill it, they are supposed to set the table -- it's dj's that haven't played out much who when they get a chance to finally play go to KILL it because god only knows when the next time they'll get to play out.

but we'll agree to disagree on this...

how do you you think dj's like steve porter, desyn masiello, chris fortier, jonethan ojeda from spundae and countless others broke into the scene? they built reputations for being excellent openers who truly understood that you don't go to KILL it - you play tracks you love and that build a tension in the crowd so when the opener comes on it can erupt.

openers aren't supposed to kill it, they are supposed to set the table -- it's dj's that haven't played out much who when they get a chance to finally play go to KILL it because god only knows when the next time they'll get to play out.

but we'll agree to disagree on this...

Thanx for explaining that to ppl who have absolutely no clue about what an opener is supposed to play. I cant stand it when opening Djs try to go all nuts and hardcore before the DJ comes on. If u refuse to play lighter trax as an opener, THEN DONT OPEN and turn down the gig or play as a closer. Last weekend, this DJ at Pacha plays some of the hardest tribal tracks out there at 11:45 PM right before DJ Vibe is supposed to come on. My friends and I were like theres no way Vibes gonna match the level of intensity when he comes on. In fact, that was the case for the first few hours he spun until later on in the morning when he got harder. Whole point for an opener is to set the stage so the Dj headlining will feel comfortable while he begins his set and can take it on his own direction from there. If u bang it out and play stuff that hes not gonna be able to adapt to, yea, ure gonna get noticed by ppl, but the main DJ will look at u like wtf are u doing ?? Its just gonna take away from his set.

fuck it i can tell u that ferry and peter bailey spun the other nite...but i still dont know the openers name.......look out for number one and play a memorable set that inspires ferry to match your intensity and the nite will be that much better....instead ferry just played his new cd because he knew that would be enough and then bailey came on and killed it......if dj mysterio would have been half way decent maybe i would have started a thread about him

Well, to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the opener either, but he wasn't bad.

I think for a trance DJ, the opener should really stick with house early and get to prog house closer to the end....

its a gradual buildup to the main point, trance.

I think I can STILL remember one of the best opening sets for PVD at Avalon in Boston at least 2-3 years ago, I walked into the place ready to go, DJ kicked up to prog.... and PVD took it to the next level. Perfect night.

It isn't as good when i heard "oh, the music just got better, ferry must be on"...

But to each his own. Surprisingly, the night can actually be made by a good opener... I've tried to get the opener's name when they're really good. The last two that came to mind (both for AVB coincidentally), Harry Lemon & Remy...