Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Looking for NYC Clubs that play House(i think its house)?

Hello I love house music. The kind the riddler always spins on the radio.

Examples:

Armin Van Buren - MYMYMY

Uniting Nations - Out of Touch

Eric Prydz - Call on me

Madonna's newer/recent stuff from confessions on a dance floor especially - Sorry.

Etc...

So is this considered house music? What NYC Clubs play this style of music? I know places that KTU promotes do play this, however they generally have a way to young crowd there(nothing wrong with that, but underage with fake id's is a problem)

So any clubs play this style? I tried Pacha and it didn't really play this style (on a Friday night) more of techno music or house with now lyrics. I enjoy the lyrics in music.

Thanks for the help!

Hello I love house music. The kind the riddler always spins on the radio.

Examples:

Armin Van Buren - MYMYMY

Uniting Nations - Out of Touch

Eric Prydz - Call on me

Madonna's newer/recent stuff from confessions on a dance floor especially - Sorry.

Etc...

So is this considered house music? What NYC Clubs play this style of music? I know places that KTU promotes do play this, however they generally have a way to young crowd there(nothing wrong with that, but underage with fake id's is a problem)

So any clubs play this style? I tried Pacha and it didn't really play this style (on a Friday night) more of techno music or house with now lyrics. I enjoy the lyrics in music.

Thanks for the help!

1st off, Welcome.

2nd off, Yes, these tracks are considered house music. (The artist of My My My is Armand Van Helden, not Van Buuren, but I digress.)

3rd, about the Pacha on a friday night comment: you must figure out what style of DJ you wish to hear. There is not a club in NYC that I know of that plays straight commercial beats like the ones you will hear on KTU, they usually leave that for the Long Island clubs, where they play 30-45 minute sets of commercialized songs, that you hear on Party 105 and KTU.

There are many different genres of house: tribal, electro, vocal, deep, hard, etc. Most clubs in NYC will not play a KTU playlist like I mentioned, however, once and a while, a DJ will throw those kind of songs into their set.

Pacha on a friday usually has a less of a bigger name than their saturday lineup. Also check out their basement DJs for the local talent. A few of my friends have spun there as well. It's good exposure for the little guys.

It's all about being open minded to what you are hearing. Everyone starts out with the commercialized stuff, and ends up going into tracks that will never ever be played on a NYC radio station.

Good Luck.

There are many different genres of house: tribal, electro, vocal, deep, hard, etc. Most clubs in NYC will not play a KTU playlist like I mentioned

Tribal, electro, hard, trance, progressive, etc. are not house, they are their own forms of dance music, largely with a euro vibe. House has a more soulful flavor that these do not and is different.

If he's referring to the riddler or skribbles, van burren, etc. i'd say he might be interested in Crobar or Spirit as well as other clubs that play tribal, progressive, etc.

Tribal, electro, hard, trance, progressive, etc. are not house, they are their own forms of dance music, largely with a euro vibe. House has a more soulful flavor that these do not and is different.

QUOTE]

What a snide thing to say! Umm... last time I checked, it was tribal HOUSE, honey..progressive HOUSE... Hard? WTF is hard? Isn't hard an adjective? Something used to describe a noun? Like house? Hmmm, hard... house.... concept!!

House is an umbrella that encompasses a variety of sub-genres (funky, tribal, minimal, soulful, hard, progressive, electro, tech, disco, etc). Is trance house? No, but that's a whole other genre on it's own. You should think with your whole brain next time... it might actually make sense...

QUOTE]

What a snide thing to say! Umm... last time I checked, it was tribal HOUSE, honey..progressive HOUSE... Hard? WTF is hard? Isn't hard an adjective? Something used to describe a noun? Like house? Hmmm, hard... house.... concept!!

House is an umbrella that encompasses a variety of sub-genres (funky, tribal, minimal, soulful, hard, progressive, electro, tech, disco, etc). Is trance house? No, but that's a whole other genre on it's own. You should think with your whole brain next time... it might actually make sense...

Thanks for clearing that up Jess, I was about to say the same exact thing...

• 4 weeks later...
House is an umbrella that encompasses a variety of sub-genres (funky, tribal, minimal, soulful, hard, progressive, electro, tech, disco, etc).

100% WRONG-your "umbrella" is an admission that you guys can't discern differences, nor are you cognizant of the differing histories of each of the genres. Disco & soul were around for DECADES before the term house was applied, so it's impossible to retroactively decide that it now belongs under your arbitrary term..absurd. Try going into a good dance record store with dispirate inventory and see whether your absurd arbitrary classifications hold.

They are all their own forms of music, all of which differ markedly in form and in their histories. They can all be lumped under "dance music", which has nothing to do with what is a specific form called house music.

Instead of so quickly congratulating yourselves on what is ignorance, spend some quality time reading the history of music so that you won't sound so ignorant not to mention arrogant. Some people can figure out that they're not the same thing at all just by listening, but since you can't, get out the books..

i love it when u talk smart