Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior this Saturday

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I will be present along with my large variety of party people. As for the opener,no word yet and it never really mattered who opened for Junior at his Birthday events since it is and always will be about what Junior plays at every Junior Vasquez Birthday event.:type:

The more of Junior Vasquez djing, the better.

781_juniorv.jpgDJ Junior Vasquez whets our appetites for Aquarium, his birthday bash at Pacha

by Tray Butler

It’s 3:30pm on a Friday afternoon, and Junior Vasquez isn’t supposed to be here.

Had things gone as planned, the world-famous DJ would be gearing up for a gig at WorldPride in Israel. But thanks to the ongoing skirmish between Israel and Hezbollah, Vasquez and his handlers opted to nix their trip to Tel Aviv, a blessing in disguise that gives the local favorite more time to prep for his upcoming birthday gig at Pacha. Dubbed Aquarium, the Aug 26 party finds the HX DJ of the Year back in the booth spinning a 12-hour marathon set starting at 5am.

With his birthday just a few days away, and looking tanned and ready for the big gig, Vasquez stopped by HX headquarters to dish on kicking it old school, his new Christina Aguilera remix and why the DJ is still god.

HX: Are you bummed that Israel didn’t work out?

Junior Vasquez: I am. But there’s just so much uncertainty over there. And I already have a history of not liking to fly. So this was one thing where we just had to pull back. We didn’t want to put anyone into harm’s way. But it’s unfortunate. It was going to be a huge night.

The same can be said for Aquarium. What should we expect?

Well, we’ll have over-the-top décor, no performances…

You mean you won’t be wearing the merman suit from the ad?

[Laughs] Dolphin Boy! It’s a tad weird. It looks like I’m giving birth or something.

You make a big deal about your birthday every year.

Actually, I don’t. I have this history that I would say that my birthday was on the 22nd, so that I could celebrate privately on the 24th, which is my real birthday. So it was part of the business. But for the last five years or so it’s become an event that I really look forward to. I’m kind of a humble person, so it’s not about my birthday really.

Last spring you and I talked about the idea of “the DJ as god,” and how that’s changing. What do you think now?

I think now it’s more a plural. It used to be just one of us was [god-like], but there’s a lot of talent out there. I think that idea is still prevalent. I’m living through a cycle where now there’s a lot of clubs, so you have to fill them. But when this all began it was more of an exclusive kind of thing. And the idea of the DJ as an icon, the god status, really started before my time. Look at the Larry Levan era. Now, it doesn’t rest solely on the music anymore: It’s gone back to [party] production, and that’s a good thing. You have to give more visuals, more umph to things. Hence the one-off parties. You make it into a real event.

Your Black Party appearance at Pacha definitely fits that category.

I think it’s an excellent space, Pacha. I think it’s good for one-off parties. The space is so nice and it’s run really well. I’m excited about doing it and the way they designed the booth is great. It’s very comfortable.

I’m liking your new mix of Christina Aguilera’s “Ain’t No Other Man.”

Yeah, the hype I’m hearing is that it’s Grammy bound. That would be my first Grammy, if it happens. And it’s a different production for me. It sounds very close to the original. You know, when I first started I was mixing for KISS FM, and that was a period when freestyle was crossing into house. And that was my interpretation with this one. I wanted to show that I can go old school, that I’m not just this house anthem guy.

What else are you working on?

I just did Beyonce’s “Déjà Vu,” Sunshine Anderson’s “Something I Want to Give You,” Justin Timberlake’s “SexyBack.” So everything after Christina is a little bit of that flavor - more rock house. But I am going back to old school, something the young kids don’t know was ever out there.

Yeah, I love the Deee-Lite sample in the Christina mix.

You keep going back. When I do production, I always go back in my head. There’s so much out there, so you just wait for it to be interpreted as modern. That’s the way all the arts are. Everything has a time. A lot of this I couldn’t play two years ago, because they would’ve been like, What’s she doing? What drugs she on?

What’s your take on this whole stink over DJs who don’t play vinyl?

If I want to keep doing it I have to keep up with modern technology. I don’t play all vinyl anymore, because especially with imports they’re only on CD. And I’m bad at playing CDs. I’m hands on with the way it feels, the vinyl. The difference is you can’t rock dubs and beats. The problem with CDs is you can’t get a second thought. I play vigorously, so I can take the vinyl and throw something else on quick. With CDs it doesn’t work like that, so you end up being more robotic and it takes the soul out of actually playing music. I’m learning how to give it my own flavor, how not to fight it.

What have you learned since your last birthday?

I’ve learned that you can make mistakes. But you can’t take them that seriously - that’s why it’s called a mistake. You can be a poster child for certain things, then you can slip and people have their eyes on you. My life is public. I’ve learned that at the end of the day, it’s the nights when you can’t fall asleep that are the problem. And if you have too many of those, then you know there are things you haven’t settled. I try to please too many people. That’s what you are when you’re in show business. But this past year I’ve learned that I can’t do the best party all the time. I can’t be the best all the time.

So, since Israel isn’t happening, what are you up to between now and then?

Well, it’s kind of a good thing I guess. Not for Israel, obviously, but for me, because I’ll have a chance to get rested up and ready for my birthday. By the time that weekend comes, I’ll be raring to play again. Junior Vasquez spins Aquarium Aug 26 at Pacha, 618 W 46th St, 212-209-7500, j u n i o r v a s q u e z m u s i c . c o m

It's official, Junior will be the opening act of his Birthday party, goodie, goodie.....

See everyone next Saturday night at Pacha. Junior will be on earlier than previously announced. I am excited.

Happy Birthday, Junior!:)

Jerome Farley

Managing Partner

Jerome Farley Management/

Junior Vasquez Music

Not that it matters but will the Junior event be a mostly gay crowd? I've never seen him live and was just wondering.

The crowd is about the same as Victor Calderone's crowd, not much difference but of course Junior Vasquez is a major icon/role model in the gay community so there would be more in attendance, and most of them are all about the music, than worrying about what butthole, penis, vagina, or breast to dive into........But when it comes to Junior's parties anything goes and all is welcomed......:type:

The crowd is about the same as Victor Calderone's crowd, not much difference but of course Junior Vasquez is a major icon/role model in the gay community so there would be more in attendance, and most of them are all about the music, than worrying about what butthole, penis, vagina, or breast to dive into........But when it comes to Junior's parties anything goes and all is welcomed......:type:

Ya most are there to worship Junior so I wouldn't worry about the usual gay stuff like you would have to at Roxy.

CaN'T waIT!

Not worried.

Would you say 50 / 50 or more than that?

It usually depends on the theme parties, but for his birthday you would never know, people that don't hang out anymore return to the club to hear Junior on his birthday. My guess it is more like 70/30.....:type:

I think it's more 80% gay 20% straight, but there's usually a "section" on the dancefloor where most of the straights are, so there's a place for everybody.

lol i was wondering the same thing, i want to go too, who is def going to this event???? if i go it will b most likely after 4/5

:type: Found another Jr B-Day article....

Birthday Boy :: EDGE Interviews Junior Vasquez

by David Foucher

EDGE Publisher

Wednesday Aug 23, 2006

feature_2587.jpg

Junior Vasquez appears Saturday night at Pacha NYC How old is Junior Vasquez?

"Somewhere between 47 and 57," he cracks. "You can do the math."

The prolific dance music producer celebrates his birthday with a blowout event at Pacha Nightclub this Saturday night; and it’s highly unlikely that Vasquez’s actual age matters to the 3,000 devotees likely to attend that night. Vasquez’s brand - like his dominance in the DJ booth - is ageless.

But not endless. (More on that later.)

Those whose association with Vasquez is limited to watching him spin will likely be surprised to know that behind the entranced, serious DJ is a personable, ambitious, and nuanced man.

"I think there’s a greater persona here, rather than just a DJ," he agrees. "I’ve been told my middle name is ’drama.’"

That shouldn’t be a shock to those cognizant of Vasquez’s initial career goals: he wanted to be a fashion designer.

"That was my whole life," he relates. "I came to New York with $47 in 1970 and studied design and illustration for six years. I got into photography and wanted to get into fashion design, but I just got very frustrated. I think this all just happened a bit by chance."

That’s a modest statement for the man who catapulted himself to the top of the dance charts; despite his apparent humility, Vasquez admits he’s always been a great fan of music.

"My father was a drummer in a big band, and my mom collected records and danced a lot," he recalls. "And my sister, who is two years older than me, used to buy a lot of records and would drag me to dances with her because she didn’t have a partner. That’s how it started. I didn’t study music at all, I just always loved it."

In New York circa 1970, Vasquez continued to suffer from his musical fixation.

"If I had a dollar in my pocket I’d buy a record - I always had music around." He pauses, then admits, "it was a way of getting myself out of being depressed about not succeeding in fashion."

But it didn’t take long for the two worlds to collide.

"I ended up working for a designer, and he was seven blocks from Downstairs Records, and on my lunch hour the secretary would send me to buy records for her, they would give me a list. And I would end up spending hours in that store," he says wistfully. "With all the DJs hanging out there, I would watch and listen. That became so important to me, and then I quit that job and I got a job at the record store. For $75 a week, I filed records and worked myself up to the DJ who played the records in the store."

It wasn’t long before his fashion aspirations had been folded and socked into a drawer - and Junior Vasquez found himself in the nightclubs.

"Back then, I didn’t go out to dance," he confides. "I would go and see people, then run home and sketch. They’d just look at me strangely. Even when I got into music, I mostly stayed at home and made tapes, sort of figuring out how to do it. It was hard to find turntables and mixers back then. I washed dishes and saved my money and finally bought my own."

Invariably, Vasquez discovered what is still perhaps the most revered dance club in New York’s history: Paradise Garage, where Vasquez was rapidly enmeshed in a social clique of DJ Larry Levan. As with many talented protégés from that esteemed group, Vasquez found his niche on the turntables. He’s been there steadily since.

As a testiment to his career choice, he’s spent nary a thought on fashion in the last few decades - save a diehard affection for "Project Runway" and "America’s Next Top Model." He confesses that he wouldn’t today have the stamina or experience to compete on ’Runway’ as a designer; but it’s possible that we may see Vasquez hosting a show of his own.

"Every time I play I get stage fright. It seems like it should be second nature to me, but I want to tell a complete story when I play. That’s why I play for so long."

"It’s a similar kind of show, like America’s Next Top DJ. That’s not the name, but it’s kind of the same format as ’Project Runway,’" he confides. "We give [contestants] projects, and they go into the studio and mix records, and they have to get an entourage together for producing and lights and everything - and the final thing is them playing in a major club."

The show, currently in pre-production, has yet to be formally pitched. And Vasquez, ever one for reinvention, is steaming his career forward on multiple tracks - foremost among them is his music production.

"This week I’m doing Janet Jackson," he airs casually. "And I’m really hoping that the Christina song gets me a Grammy."

The song to which he refers is "Ain’t No Other Man" from the new Aguilera album "Back to Basics." He’s also recently worked with tracks for Beyonce, Pink and Justin Timberlake - and will be premiering them on Saturday night.

"I like the challenge of producing a new song," he remarks. "And with these new songs, I’m doing new stuff. My roots go back to freestyle music crossed with house. When I was mixing for radio station, I’d make that work. And I wanted to do that with Christina’s song. I also wanted to make songs other DJs in other markets could play. I’ve done enough songs for the New York underground clubs. I wanted people in Ohio to hear this."

Vasquez also sees a full album in his future - and not with his name above the title. He feels uniquely qualified to bring an artist’s musical vision into production. And while he’s actively looking for someone willing to walk that road, he’s fairly sure it won’t be Madonna.

"Yeah, that would be great, but there’s just too much water under that bridge," he says capriciously, alluding to the famous fallout between the two. "But I’d love to do a Rhianna, or a Janet [Jackson]. It’s been difficult, because I’m not seen as an R&B producer... but look at how much music is changing. Look at Justin Timberlake’s new album - it’s back to an 80s funky type of thing. I’m a great person to produce that kind of album. I come from that background."

Vasquez is cognizant that - particularly without a Grammy - he’s pigeonholed as a "circuit" DJ. And, regardless of the fans who line up to hear him spin, he’s sure that he’ll have to stop spinning to start a new phase of his career.

"The one thing I’m sure of is that I’ll have to stop DJing," he says. "When you have to spin parties on an irregular basis - it’s a lot of work. It’s so much work to put into every event. If I stopped DJing I’d be able to put all of my energy into writing and producing. And it’s been happening OK - I’ve been phasing that out. I love DJing but I don’t want to be a 60-year-old DJ... what the fuck do I want to do that for? I want to be in the studio making albums."

Which means each party - like the Pacha event on Saturday - is a chance to catch the esteemed master of the music before the opportunity is gone.

"I’m having a party for them," he says of his fans. "I want them to celebrate my birthday, but it’s really me giving them something way, way more intense. The pressure is huge. By Thursday I’ll be anxious because I still get stage fright. Every time I play I get stage fright. It seems like it should be second nature to me, but I want to tell a complete story when I play. That’s why I play for so long."

And the trance he enters (he describes it as taking a breath and not releasing it for fifteen hours) might be indicative of that heady mixture of fear and dedication - but it certainly provides no indication of the man behind the music. He is, after all, precisely that: a man, celebrating another year of living, and dreaming of the future.

"I’d love to open a restaurant," he says wistfully. "A fierce, loud restaurant - that would be the name of it. Stuff like that I think about. And another side of me wants to buy a big farm upstate and collect animals.

"I’m celebrating too. On September 15th I’ll be in a relationship for a year. That’s something to celebrate," he continues. "And it’s been a good year. I’ve been traveling a lot, and that wears me out. But my relationship sustains me."

Vasquez will celebrate privately with friends outside the club - but despite the necessity of eventually leaving it behind, he welcomes the warmth of the dance floor. And he vows that this night - his birthday party - will be memorable.

"It has to be off the hook," he remarks with intensity. "I’m putting together new remixes - they expect that from me. It’s about being focused and skilled and playing stuff they won’t hear ANYWHERE else until that party is over. I do it because I know the people who are there have come because they want to be with me. This is all about them."

---

Junior Vasquez spins this Saturday night at Pacha New York, 618 West 46th Street. Tickets are $35 in advance, and can be purchased by

visiting w w w . t i c k e t w e b . c o m . Visit

w w w . p a c h n y c . o m and

w w w . j u n i o r v a s q u e z m u s i c . c o m

for more information.

"Every time I play I get stage fright. It seems like it should be second nature to me, but I want to tell a complete story when I play. That’s why I play for so long."

awww who knew he had stage fright.....anyways awesome re telling a story, i think that's true talent, and i want to see him b4 he stops djing in a few years....