Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Armin van Buuren @ crobar, Sat 10/7 (21+) & Sun 10/8 (18+)

• 2 weeks later...
Trance Garbage!!!!! GO AWAY!!!!! STAY IN EUROPE!!!!!

TRANCE IS DEAD IN NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. I love these responses, they are so freakin hilarious. AVB, PVD, Tiesto, and Oaky pack the place and charge more than any house DJ. Disagree? Go to Roger Sanchez on Sat....it will be empty....

House is alive, too bad no-one is around...

Although trance might be "dead", its far more spiritual IMO than house which goes nowhere. That's why the line will be around the block for armin at 10pm!

Go to armin on the 7th and 8th, Ferry on the 13th(comped if you know what you're doing), ATB @ Pacha the week after that, and if you're up for it, check out Sean Tyas(forgot where he's spinning, but it's mid month). If you can check out even one of those events and come back and honestly tell me trance is dead, then u got some problembs cuz each event will be packed, the vibe will be great, and you'll be standing in the corner saying trance is dead while hundrds and hundreds of ppl are going crazy. I also don't think u went to armin either night in brooklyn or G&D the other week... or pvd over the summer... i could go on and on.

whens the last trance event u went to? honest question.

i got nothin against house music, I'm a fan, but I really think house heads who shit on trance know jack shit about trance or have bothered going lately... just going along w/ the crowd and saying trance this, trance that.

i guess if i was close minded/ignorant to shit i woudln't go either, and say dumb/uneducated shit too

I used to love trance back when Dj dean was at his peak. It defintally is more spiritual...atb,avb,pvd etc.. but its differnt strokes for differnet folks i guess. I find that those incredibly dark tribal beats are spirtual too, its hard to explain lol.

does anybody agree?

Monday is Columbus Day....no school and should be no work for most people. Im surprised no one's realized that. 21+ means more snotty stuck up people who are too sexy for themselves, and 18+ means more 18 year old's on drugs who dont really know how to party, who will passed out all over the place. One caveat to that is that 18 yr girls on E are EEEEZZZZ.......

Monday is Columbus Day....no school and should be no work for most people. Im surprised no one's realized that. 21+ means more snotty stuck up people who are too sexy for themselves, and 18+ means more 18 year old's on drugs who dont really know how to party, who will passed out all over the place. One caveat to that is that 18 yr girls on E are EEEEZZZZ.......

All the incentive in the world to show up on sunday. Actually I'll just go off the music. If he's decent on friday in boston, then maybe i'll do the double header and see him on sunday in NY.

18 y/o on E are easy? Oooh.... point me in the right direction.

j/k of course.

i seem to have similar tastes in house DJs as you, judging from the posts... however, show me any house DJ that Crobar can feature TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW and sell out both nights... everytime Tiesto and Armin are here, thats the case, so you better believe its not dead...

PvD in Central Park (2 nights, big crowd.... the full house lineup of Ultra Festival was one night at the same price, and turnout was horrible)

AvB at Tobacco Warehouse BK (same as above)

AvB & Tiesto every time theyre at Crobar (2 nights, always packed to the brim)

Ferry Corsten's LEF parties (they were monthly at Crobar for a year, and probably had the best, most up-for-it crowd, and you guessed it, always packed)

Sean Tyas is going to be at Sullivan Room (hey, isnt that supposed to be a house, tech, and breaks venue... maybe not, but have they ever had trance there? hmmmm... why now then, it must be the RIGHT time, in their eyes ;-))

G&D at Pacha (didnt pack it out but came pretty dammmm close)

ATB at Pacha next month (whoa whoa whoa... find me one other Pacha venue in the world that has trance acts... isnt Pacha a houseeee venue? guess they find profits in having trance as well :-))

and sure enough, there will be a trance event for New Years Eve, there always is, and it WILL be packed, unlike whatever 24 hour marathon so-and-so NYC DJ will be doing... no hard feelings but i just LOVE responding to "trance is dead" because i get it all the time from people who have never been to any trance events, and i just have to correct their ignorance (not saying youre ignorance, im talking bout MY people)

i also forgot to mention the pretty big trance (mostly psytrance) underground... i say "underground" because it is very underground, in the truest sense of the word.... its a "email us for directions" basis and ive been hearing some of these biweekly parties have been making waves.... i dont see any house underground, THAT seems pretty dead, with the exception of one or two clubs here and there

i seem to have similar tastes in house DJs as you, judging from the posts... however, show me any house DJ that Crobar can feature TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW and sell out both nights... everytime Tiesto and Armin are here, thats the case, so you better believe its not dead...

PvD in Central Park (2 nights, big crowd.... the full house lineup of Ultra Festival was one night at the same price, and turnout was horrible)

AvB at Tobacco Warehouse BK (same as above)

AvB & Tiesto every time theyre at Crobar (2 nights, always packed to the brim)

Ferry Corsten's LEF parties (they were monthly at Crobar for a year, and probably had the best, most up-for-it crowd, and you guessed it, always packed)

Sean Tyas is going to be at Sullivan Room (hey, isnt that supposed to be a house, tech, and breaks venue... maybe not, but have they ever had trance there? hmmmm... why now then, it must be the RIGHT time, in their eyes ;-))

G&D at Pacha (didnt pack it out but came pretty dammmm close)

ATB at Pacha next month (whoa whoa whoa... find me one other Pacha venue in the world that has trance acts... isnt Pacha a houseeee venue? guess they find profits in having trance as well :-))

and sure enough, there will be a trance event for New Years Eve, there always is, and it WILL be packed, unlike whatever 24 hour marathon so-and-so NYC DJ will be doing... no hard feelings but i just LOVE responding to "trance is dead" because i get it all the time from people who have never been to any trance events, and i just have to correct their ignorance (not saying youre ignorance, im talking bout MY people)

THATS WHAT I AM FUCKING TALKIN ABOUT!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS EXCELLENT POST :getdown:

"I think trance fans are a lot more open minded than house music purists" - Markus Schulz

I will be at Crobar on Saturday night for sure!

Markus is so right.... my whole crew, we're all trance fans, die-hard... but ask us how excited we are for DJ Vibe this Friday and we'll tell you, we'll ALL BE THERE... i can find a similar state of trance listening to the drums and atmospheres that a GOOD house DJ can bring, however, mention "trance" to a predominantly house fan and theyll say "thats cheesy emotional crap".... most of these have never been to a really good trance show (which there are many)... most of these people dont know the variety of music that is played at these trance shows (whereas at a Boris or so-and-so NYC DJ night, people express their "omg!'s" at the DIFFERENT types of house that particular DJ might have played, check out every trance event in New York and you very same people may be dumbfounded)....

most poeple may remember PVD playing "dark beat" over a heavy schranz techno beat at Roxy last year.... most people may remember Armin Van Buuren playing "till there was you" at Spirit a year and a half before every house DJ started playing it at your local club.... people dont understand that the music at "trance" events is so diverse, and such an up-and-down adventure, that most of the haters out there WOULD REALLLLLY ENJOY THEMSELVES IF THEY WENT TO MORE THAN ONE (more than one, so you dont base your full generalized opinion based on one party, every event is so different)....

i think enough people agree with what im saying, in this city, because every trance event i go to seems to be packed.... im glad for that because its packed with people that understand the music... there doesnt need to be a "theme" or a dance performance or show by dancers, or a fun flyer, or even too many battles and circles and this and that... people know the musical adventure theyre embarking on when they go to a PVD night or Armin or Ferry night, so make fun of us for raising our hands during the breakdown of an emotional trance tune, but, at the end of the day, were really feeling that spiritual thing called music... very few people at a Boris or JP or NYC house DJ event can say the same... many of them are there to be there, or because theyre whole area of their whole borough is there, and sure, it may be packed, but think again, because i think theres such a low vibe at every house event im at, and the complete opposite at every trance event im at.... first time i saw PVD, he opened with tracks by D Ramirez and a remix by Timo Maas of a song called "new york" and the Randy KAtana remix of "rising angel"... and the average NYC house head missed it though because "PVD is too much of that emotional trance garbage" according to them, but had their favorite NYC house DJ been playing it, they would be saying "he ripped it sickkkkkkkkkk" the next morning.... think about it

not to mention, look at Markus Schulz himself.... his productions are the biggest range from funky housed out vocals to tech-electro BOMBS to straight up trance hymns.... theres so many Markus Schulz's in the trance scene too, thats the thing, crossing genre after genre with their productions.... now look at whos big in the tribal/house scene now.... lets take Austin Leeds... espsecially lately, he just uses a formula and sticks to it, and sure, theyre good songs but what level of originality do they have other than reusing whatever was this year's proven successful house/tribal style.... take an Armin or Tiesto production CD for example... everything from chillout to industrial to techno to trance to prog to everything... the ability to cross genres is something i myself strive for, and THAT shows true musical talent