Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To David Ortiz: STFU already

lucky13

This is funny considering that the overwhelming majority of MVPs(the last 30 years or so) have been picked from playoff teams. I didn't realize the MVP award equated to the "Best Slugger award" It turns out there are more than 2 stats that matter in baseball. And Jeter has better other numbers than Ortiz.

How about clutch hits and game ending/game winning RBIs? does that count?

or maybe fan favorite counts more

for the life of me i couldnt tell you who he was up against or his #'s that year...

ps...lol...

all thats needed to know is that he put up good #s for a last place team. he wasnt even clutch

papi on the other hand.....monster in the clutch and better #s then gay-rod's mvp season. the point made prior is moot, bottom line

I guess...Ryan Howard sucks defensively as a 1st Baseman, but he's gonna run away with the NL MVP award...or at least he should.

true that ryan howard is an mvp candidate, he's had an amazing year as a hitter on a not so good team. however, taking into account that the mets will make the post season, do you think it's possible that carlos beltran may be even more deserving overall?

reason i ask, I saw beltran play this year and he's not just hitting well -- he was diving for balls, making great plays, running -- doesn't he have too much substance, on a great team, to be overlooked for mvp by flash?

true that ryan howard is an mvp candidate, he's had an amazing year as a hitter on a not so good team. however, taking into account that the mets will make the post season, do you think it's possible that carlos beltran may be even more deserving overall?

reason i ask, I saw beltran play this year and he's not just hitting well -- he was diving for balls, making great plays, running -- doesn't he have too much substance, on a great team, to be overlooked for mvp by flash?

I never thought Beltran would get the award because there are players that are having better years than him and having Reyes, Wright and Delagdo on the team will take some votes from him.

How about clutch hits and game ending/game winning RBIs? does that count?

or maybe fan favorite counts more

That's seriously lolllll. Who's a fan favorite? AROD? I hope you're joking.

Of course clutch hits count. In August and Septemeber, that is. This is the time when MVP awards are usually won. But Boston is not competitive right now and I don't see many clutch hits coming from Ortiz. In the meantime, Jeter is riding a twenty-something hitting streak and is playing good defense. We've rode him to an 11 and a half game lead in the division. And this all pretty much started in the Boston series where Ortiz only hit 1 HR and was quiet.

Look, I don't care about AROD's MVP in Texas, why would I? But if you want to bring it up no problem. AROD had an unprecedented 3 years in Texas. Nobody in history has ever prodeuced those kind of numbers as a SS. In 2001 and 2002 he hit a combined 109 HRs and 277 RBIs with an .OPS of 1.021 and 1.015 respectively. He had an .OBP of around .400 and also won the Gold Glove in 2002 and 2003. All this being said, I still don't know whether I would've voted for AROD that year.

Ortiz' season is not special or unprecedented in anyway. He's a fucking DH who's going to hit 50 HRs and 130 RBIs. Big numbers obviously but not for someone that doesn't play defense. For Christs sake, Frank Thomas, also a DH, is going to hit 40+ HRs and 100+RBIs.

The Phillies are barely contending for the WC but nobody would complain if Howard won the MVP. That is because he's having a special year AND is playing the field. He contributes on both sides of the ball. He can save a run and create a run. Ortiz cannot.

Delgado came in second and JOrge Posada came in third that yr A-rod won in texas

I never believe a guy on last place team desreves a MVP , just as if the redsox are anywhere near 10 games out he shouldnt get it either.

On the flip side if Ryan howard and phils miss the wild card by 1-3 games he should get it cuz htey were in the hunt to the end

ORtiz has great #s no doubt but is a DH plays not even 1/4 of a game is a basecclogger and there are other guys on teams that are in it with great numbers SO suck on it Papi .

Look, I don't care about AROD's MVP in Texas, why would I? But if you want to bring it up no problem. AROD had an unprecedented 3 years in Texas. Nobody in history has ever prodeuced those kind of numbers as a SS. In 2001 and 2002 he hit a combined 109 HRs and 277 RBIs with an .OPS of 1.021 and 1.015 respectively. He had an .OBP of around .400 and also won the Gold Glove in 2002 and 2003. All this being said, I still don't know whether I would've voted for AROD that year.

Yeah and it's a shame he's not a SS anymore, could have destroyed tons of records as one.. what is he, 1 homerun away from all time from a SS? lol..

I never thought Beltran would get the award because there are players that are having better years than him and having Reyes, Wright and Delagdo on the team will take some votes from him.
i guess other than albert pujols or ryan howard, i haven't considered many others as a possible mvp. but yeah, i agree, wright and certainly reyes will take a few votes from beltran.