Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Deep Space Appreciation Thread

This is a tribute to my favorite (club) party: Deep Space, François K's weekly residency at Cielo.

Somehow its mix of scenester location and house-head acceptance, its Monday-night time slot (ensuring mostly the hardest of core patrons... and capricious vacationing out-of-towners), and its fearless rollercoster ride through the nether regions and vanguard of electronica, come together to produce this outstanding party.

1jqa30a2a800pr4.th.jpg

In less than half the time it has beaten Le Souk as my most frequented party (not counting the Central Park thing).

look whose on this board now lol, i have about 3 different deep space shirts myself cause howfrequent i use to go to this party. It is an amazing night of music and people def one of the best parties in nyc. Keep on dancing over there man and i will see you there soon enough.

I signed up here waay before, but never posted. I figured I'd see what this place was like.

not as clicky as ism, alot of jokers who realyl dont go out but like to talk shit, alot of lurkers who come on to read stuff, you'll see. Theres like a whole crew though of like 6-9 people some of them have fake screen names and they always respond to each other and egg each other on and try to stir drama and stuff like that.

Boozoo Bajou played the early set so the place was relatively empty. Perfect for their brand of easygoing downtempo electro-reggae and dub. I only ever saw Florian on the decks (who in the low light is sometimes mistakable for François K.), don't know if Peter was even there. OK, so there were one or two transition foibles, but to me selection and flow are far more important. And what can I say about the selection except: chocolatey delicious!

Too bad it was a bit of a sausage party. Fortunately most of the guys on the floor were there for the music, over smearing their crotches on some drunk exhibitionist girl's ass.

1jqb701i0900wb2.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tales From Deep Space: The Chase

NOTE: This happened a while ago, I just hadn't gotten my fat ass in gear to post it until now.

My usual M.O. at Deep Space is to find an empty spot where the Chi is good and try to have a few moments of aurally-induced joy, and maybe get a mini CV-workout.

So I'm there one night and late in the evening there was this group of 3 or 4 hot girls. They would be in one spot and quickly be surrounded by a large circulating pack of guys, taking turns grabbing at them, probably uttering generic compliments and suggestive quips in their ears, and generally trying to get all up on that.

1jqa30886640hd9.th.jpg

Soon it would get very crowded in that spot and one of them--the one who appeared to want to dance and perhaps enjoy the music without doing the pantomime freak-on--would move to an empty area, followed soon after by her friends. The problem is that empty area would frequently be where I was doing the thing, so if she came and stood 3 feet in front of me, seconds later 2 striped buttondown shirts would insert themselves into that space. Then I would have to move and find another empty spot. This happened several times and by the end I would move as soon as I saw the girl coming. Sort of felt like being chased by a pack of hot girls.

Tales from Deep Space: Queens, Professors, & Swedes

So last night there was this guy...

Before 12 AM none of the scensters are sufficiently liquored up and the music is too ambient and mellow for the 'heads to wig out, so the dance floor is empty until someone works up the balls (liquid or otherwise) to break the seal. With it's sunken cocentric design people stand around the periphery like a stadium audience leaving the center completely open. Perfect for a super-queeny one-man fashion show.

1jqcj009l640dy1.th.jpg

In addition to his bold flaming movements he also paraded several outfits improvised from various combinations and configurations of his clothes and accessories!

1jqcj004b640ym7.th.jpg 1jqcj014i640gy5.th.jpg

Then there were the professors

1jqcj03ot640oi2.th.jpg

A group of people who looked to be in their 50s and 60s, who came in and got on down smack dab in the middle of the Gangsta Hip-Hip phase. Let me tell you, a guy who looks like a History professor raising the roof to "Unh unh yeah nigga, bling bling fuck shit, suck my dick bitch." is a sight to behold!

And look who showed up for a night on the town:

1jqcj09lz640gs7.th.jpg

Aril Brikha mackin' on the lizzadies!

Good times, good times!

Check this one out:

Considering how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down into the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake up thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature.

:laugh:

That is Virginia Woolf's first sentence from her essay "On Being Ill". It is 181 words long!

I'm reading this book (this excerpt was taken from it - the chapter on sentences) that you would probably enjoy too, check it out!

11476728.jpg

But back to Deep Space...I guess it won't be open on Christmas...so I'll catch ya next time! LOL :)

LOL You are sick.

And what am I thinking? I remember being at Discotheque on Christmas a few years ago and it was CRAZY! I'll be in Philly but will be quite tempted to come right back since my fam will kill me if I don't come have dinner (which is gonna be hard enough with Danny on the 23rd)...hmm...

• 2 months later...

Tales From Deep Space: The Greco-Roman Hussle

Alcohol can cause people to behave erratically. People from Europe have foreign customs and manners that can seem strange. And at a party characterized by openmindedness, experimentation, and uninhibition there can be the occasional quaint antics. Put them together and... WRESTLING on the dancefloor!

1jr2r04e1640fi4.th.jpg 1jr2r04fu640af5.th.jpg 1jr2r04il640es3.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FK--with the help of guest selector Ras Kush and (DJ) MC Daddy Lion Chandell--really went back to the roots of on this one. Deep Space is after all a *dub* party.

1jr3c1rpt800hq1.th.jpg

Of course it probably confused the scenesters and imports who had heard their friends rave about this great house-music party on Monday, and came in droves on the first climactically pleasant night in *months* expecting balls-to-the-wall. I saw more than a few "What's this reggae crap?" expressions in the periphery.

Me, I dig that irie sound and it sure felt good to hear some solid Dubstep and Roots. And y'know nothing says roots like taking off your shoes

1jr3c1tmk800sw2.th.jpg

and barefoot boogiing.

1jr3c1tna800gu1.th.jpg

This week's DS featured a performance by master "urban" tapper Tamango.

1jr3j1udl800uz8.th.jpg

(no relation of The Mango)

mango-chris_kattan.JPG

Dancing on a 3'×3' platform wired with mics, fed into the mixing board, he would tap a live ad-hoc accompaniment to the music.

One of FK's signature techniques is the frequent, sudden, and complete change of tempo and style, such as dropping a lethargic dubbed-out reggae track right after 10 minutes of jittery frenzied DnB. And he did it with a vengence last night. This seems to disconcert people not used to these sorts of musical Brownian motion, with one guy in particular expressing it with a Darth Vaderesque "NooooOOOOoooo!".

The eggheads didn't seem to mind--appreciated it even--but it made for a very rare occurence: the dancefloor empty at 2:30 AM!

1jr3k03va640bz7.th.jpg

It felt a little as though he was reclaiming the party from the reputation that had creeped in of a House and Techno party, and doing it by slapping the fist-pumpers in the face and saying "This is *my* party, and you *will* be edified!"