Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why did you start clubbing?

I am just very bored at work at the moment and wanted to start a conversation with all posters.

Back in italy, I went out with friend Arnie to a place called the Works. It was our friend birthday, and the music was great! i was 18 I think at the time! That's when i got biten by the "house bug" LOL!

How about you guys?

First time was when i went to a rave..95' to be exact.. and it was over after that..

Fell in love with EDM!! and back then i listened to all genres.. drum and bass,triphop,tech,trance, house,vocal house,even commercial house.. only recently have i grown to love tribal and darker beats..

i go back and dig out some of those mix tapes.. funny to see how far EDM has come over the past 10-15 years!! and how it changed.. but i still love many of the older hard tech/trance shit i have...

just know your gonna get alot of different answers and point of views, but the one thig that i think is for sure is. Some people get into this club culture and only see it as a fad somethign to do while your young in your 20s and then move on, while others live and breathe this culture until they die.

Lucky for me thanks to the household i was raised (my brother and cousins were djs) i discovered house music at the age of 9yrs old in 1990 first song i ever heard was TEARS by Robert Owens and since then i have been hooked on this thing. I did try other stuff as well like latin clubs/parties while fun nothing compared to the house scene.

Since i was 9yrs old i was hearing mix tapes from soundfactory, dj disciple 89.9 or 91.9 mix shows and so many other bootlegs at te time my brother was getting his hands on. As well as all the new vinyl coming out at the time. My first club experience was in 1995 at Club Expo and i dont see myself stopping anytime soon.

And im a big fan of this cultures history so i have lots of books/documentaries articles old magazines video clips dvds on this culture as well.

Unfortunately the answer is sex and drugs... I'd only had a passing interest in some house (oddly enough acid house) before moving to nyc, then going to gay bars/clubs you can't really escape house (1997... sigh)... the 4/4 boom boom boom boom just sunk in. These days I can take or leave drugs and don't need to go out to find sex, but now I'm hooked on the goddamn music.

I hung out with this girl who was older than me when I was 13 and I believe she was about 17. She had a ton of connections at The Tunnel and thought I would have a good time if she took me there. Low and behold, I entered a new world at 13 years old and loved every minute of it.

So pretty much it was just because a friend of mine at the time had connections with people and dragged me along, and I got started there and never stopped, well up until I turned 21 ... then it got "old" to me lol

My clubbin exp. started

relatively late in life and

was mainly influenced by my desire

to explore the unknown to see

what i've been missing out,

cuz when I was younger

I experienced a restrictive life

which didn't allow me to go out at night

or made it difficult to create a social life

that involved goin out at night!

Also for loving of good dance music,

and trying to find people

who love to celebrate life

with the love of good music,

and dancing to it!

and in a sense also to be

somewhat of a voyeur

(esp. with CAMERA:D in hand)to the scene,

the underground aspects

(whether shady or not) of it,

the creativity, and fashionable style

of fine looking clubbers

in how they dress, look and/or dance

and appreciate the music

and nightlife in general!

In college I went a couple times and didn't like it all that much. Maybe b/c it was hip hop? Not sure. Didn't touch alcohol until I was 25...

By that time I was in Miami. I went out, mostly to hang out with friends. It wasn't until I went a downtown club we all know as the old Space. Went from a house room which was good into the main trance room and they dropped Flight 643... That was it. Addicted to the music and love the scene, ever since.

I thought it would be a 20's phase, but it hit me late, and I'm 31 now and still lovin it.