Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: Silverbull

who was it ?

Danny ?

cause he was the only one I know of that fits that description that did not agree to spin right away

but DT is picky about his gigs from what I know, likes to know alot about the parties and it be established before he spins

he wont be there just to make some promoters party,.....

Now this is what i dont get

DT charges 50 for his parties.

Plays big room music to big room crowds.

Yet everyone thinks he's "all about the music" and "underground"

why is that?

Now this is what i dont get

DT charges 50 for his parties.

Plays big room music to big room crowds.

Yet everyone thinks he's "all about the music" and "underground"

why is that?

DT is not underground by any means, and anyone who says so is CLUELESS

I agree about what your saying, and of coruse I cant speak for DT ...lol

and of course it is not DT out there at the register setting the prices,

but when you charge 40 to 50 k a gig, the club has no choice but to charge high prices, that usually leads to people blaming the club, but on top of that fee, the club has to pay operating expense, and promotional costs which alone can add another ????? amount,

and remember at the end of the day, a club is a business, just like your local candy store, or restaurant, they are there to make MONEY, so the same rules business apply, and simple business economics apply

I hear DT will answer things on his board about tickets prices or some shit, when fans complain that it costs to much

well if he does boast that he is "all about the music" and all that jazz, then he should consider taking a pay cut so that the fans don't pay out the ass,

+1

I mean how underground can you be if you were on the line-up for Ultra in Central Park

I would love to know what peoples definition of UNDERGROUND is

cause spinning all over the worls and getting 20 to 40 k a gig does not seem like a underground world

being a Dj that has better productions then DT, and better stlye then DT but spins at club soso in BK maybe considered underground to some, but to me is just considered "Unknown"........not a big difference in descriptioon but HUGE difference in interpretation

Me too. Please also include at least one reason why being Underground is noble, desirable, or qualitatively better than being mainstream. Surely there has to be something about mainstream music that makes it so popular.

Me too. Please also include at least one reason why being Underground is noble, desirable, or qualitatively better than being mainstream. Surely there has to be something about mainstream music that makes it so popular.

seriously

anyone who strives to be underground in this industry

might as well be compared to someone who strives to be homeless

I think a lot of peoples definition of underground (at least in this scene) is the music you hear in clubs (even from big global DJ's like a DT or Carl Cox) vs the music you hear on "dance" stations like KTU... Most of the stuff you hear in a club you won't hear on the radio. So in a sense if you haven't been in a club you would have a very hard time getting exposure to this music which people misconstrue as "underground"... So while DT may put 3,000 + asses in Pacha, it's still a tiny number when you compare it to the amount of people in this city who are of clubbing age and have never even heard of DT...

This is not a definition that I necessarily agree with, but that is what I think people are refering to when speaking about underground and commercial....

I think a lot of peoples definition of underground (at least in this scene) is the music you hear in clubs (even from big global DJ's like a DT or Carl Cox) vs the music you hear on "dance" stations like KTU... Most of the stuff you hear in a club you won't hear on the radio. So in a sense if you haven't been in a club you would have a very hard time getting exposure to this music which people misconstrue as "underground"... So while DT may put 3,000 + asses in Pacha, it's still a tiny number when you compare it to the amount of people in this city who are of clubbing age and have never even heard of DT...

This is not a definition that I necessarily agree with, but that is what I think people are refering to when speaking about underground and commercial....

and thats the way i define it as well.

disagree....cuz when Louie DeVito gets a hold of DT record and puts it on his latest compilation, its now commercialized. Or if MTV releases a compilation wit a DT track on it

disagree....cuz when Louie DeVito gets a hold of DT record and puts it on his latest compilation, its now commercialized. Or if MTV releases a compilation wit a DT track on it

True... but usually at that point "the underground" (IE clubbers who have heard that track played every week for a year) will have tired of it...

everyone just needs to shut up about underground this underground that because at the end of the day 99.9% of these dj's are in it to get paid plain and fawking simple people need to look at the bigger picture here. you like what you like everyone's diffrent with their musical tastes and dj's they listen to. wouldnt it be boring if everyone just liked to listen to Tiesto and not armin van buuren? lol My POint is SHUT THE FUCK UP AND enjoy your music if you dont like what your hearing why go and listen to it. geez!!

ps: jonPaul you made some good points in your earlier posts on this *retarded thread started by cp's #1 hater* i'd like to see what this internet tough guy looks like.

was it carl cox that was sooo underground?

interview from clubplanet taken before carl played at crobar

yet carl cox played shortly after on NYE no less.

It’s an exciting time for New York clubs. You’re playing at Crobar again on Saturday, but I’m wondering if Erick Morillo has asked you to play at the new Pacha (in the former Sound Factory space) when it opens in New York?

Erick Morillo has asked me, but it’s really difficult for me to get involved in someone else’s club. IF I played Pacha [in New York], I wouldn’t just want to do it to get people through the door. Maybe Pacha would be opened for two or three years and they’d bring me in to compliment that. Crobar for me, since Twilo, has the ability to be the best of both worlds. I’ll be on the floor, onstage, this time at Cobar.

I don’t think Pacha will change things that much, because it took Crobar two or three years to earn its reputation and for people to enjoy the club. It had taken Crobar a few years to get the cred that I has now. You have to go to Crobar before you can say you want to change anything about it. Pacha, the music is going to be commercial, but I understand that you have to keep the people happy. In Crobar, you can go off-the-hook if you want to. This is what a lot of DJs like about Crobar. This time, I’ll be playing with Victor Calderone; he’s closing for me.

was it carl cox that was sooo underground?

interview from clubplanet taken before carl played at crobar

yet carl cox played shortly after on NYE no less.

It’s an exciting time for New York clubs. You’re playing at Crobar again on Saturday, but I’m wondering if Erick Morillo has asked you to play at the new Pacha (in the former Sound Factory space) when it opens in New York?

Erick Morillo has asked me, but it’s really difficult for me to get involved in someone else’s club. IF I played Pacha [in New York], I wouldn’t just want to do it to get people through the door. Maybe Pacha would be opened for two or three years and they’d bring me in to compliment that. Crobar for me, since Twilo, has the ability to be the best of both worlds. I’ll be on the floor, onstage, this time at Cobar.

I don’t think Pacha will change things that much, because it took Crobar two or three years to earn its reputation and for people to enjoy the club. It had taken Crobar a few years to get the cred that I has now. You have to go to Crobar before you can say you want to change anything about it. Pacha, the music is going to be commercial, but I understand that you have to keep the people happy. In Crobar, you can go off-the-hook if you want to. This is what a lot of DJs like about Crobar. This time, I’ll be playing with Victor Calderone; he’s closing for me.

in regards to COXY's NYE gig at Pacha. He was supposed to play The City in Cancuun but due to the destruction from Hurricane Wilma, the gig was cancelled. So at the time Pacha was w/o a headlining DJ for NYE and COXY was able to step in.