Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Suggestions for THURSDAY?

The NYC Barn Dance

Born in October to bring your Manhattan and outer-borough hipsters into contact with the best traditional music artists of the City's old-time scene. Not just beer-swillin' here, but three straight hours of dancing: squares, longways sets, circles, mixers, waltzes, and the like -- led by an experienced old-time dance caller. Close to 90 dancers, three-quarters under 40 years of age joined us in November for New England Town Hall Squares, Appalachian clogging and the Virginia Reel. Many were first-timers and many were return guests. The crowd is growing, as is the scope of the dancing. This month features Scottish/Cape Breton dancing and next month - Irish! A beer and fine Hungarian pastry's from the famous Andre's Cafe around the corner fill out this evening that makes NYC hipster bar and raucous hoedown partying collide. The hall is perfect for the event; Isadora Duncan's original studio is a mix between New Hampshire Town Hall, Vermont Barn, and Eastern European Manor Dining Hall. No one goes away unchanged.

The Hungarian House Dance Hall

213 East 82nd Street,

between 2nd and 3rd avenues, Manhattan

$15, $10 seniors and students

18 and over

dave@nycbarndance.com

http://www.nycbarndance.com

NOTE: This is not a joke post. I'm seriously thinking of checking this out.

Who knows anything about AME? All I know is "Rej". Are they new/been around? mostly producers/mostly DJs?

geezus christ dude dont you shop online for your tunes how could you not know them. Aside from "rej" they have been putting out so many great tracks and remixes of a lot of songs which im sure you have heard out. Personally im hoping they dont suck cause not every great producer is a good dj and vice versa.

geezus christ dude dont you shop online for your tunes
I haven't sought out music in almost two years (since I started going to events regularly and posting on messageboards like a fiend to fill my downtime at work). So I pretty much don't know Track Ids for toffee. Maybe I hear them all the time and just don't know it. Hence the question.
vice versa.
{cough}Deep Dish{Cough}

What's everyone's thoughts on AER or Manor? I know some people thinking about heading there on Thursday, but I have no idea how good either would be (I think AER just started thursdays?)

typical bottles and models pretty people place with the usual top 40 radio hits. If thats your scene then go on and enjoy. If your looking for more of a house music scene then read above.

What's everyone's thoughts on AER or Manor?
Manor caters to celebrity and bigshots. You and your friends had better be either famous or wealthy and of a certain level of fashionability. Aer I'm not so sure about, my understanding is it's the same paradigm to a slightly lesser degree.

Keyword for both: glitz and glam.

(Note: Most people who who are vocal online about nightlife are quite anti-G&G, so it gets seemingly a lot of bad press. Just something to consider.)

(Note: Most people who who are vocal online about nightlife are quite anti-G&G, so it gets seemingly a lot of bad press. Just something to consider.)

agreed, most people on this sites forums are against upscale clubs who put their focus on other things beside the music so u wont get any help when looking for those type of clubs. But i love those type of clubs so:

Manor is a great place to be and i love that club but its better on a weekend so ur best bet is going to AER. I have been to AER countless times and have never been disappointed.

Whats up everyone.. thanks for all the help. Just wanted to post a follow up to last thurs night.

We ended up grabbing a table and some bottles at AER (hip-hop floor), and I have to say, the place was off the hook. It's misleading when everyone says the music is bad just because it's popular music. The DJ was mixing shit up nice, very talented and original style mixing classic rock and hip hop up at one point, even throwing on some harder rock/alternative and mixing it up. I don't care if you don't like the music being mixed, it was mixed well, and the entire crowd was into it.

Anyway, I'd recommend in a heartbeat if you want an upscale big club scene in a somewhat smaller venue... but that's just my opinion. I have no thoughts on the House floor, we checked it out but it was dead early on, and we never went back.