Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Dilemma Thread

sidoolongo

dilemma nr 2:

when your s.o. tells you he/she loves you, and you say "i love you"... you are basically talking about totally different things. cause if you would really shed light on what "love" means to one partner, and what to the other (not to mention that you could never really quantify it to any sort of completion), you would almost certainly get two very different ideas. yet both say "i love you", ie both essentially lying to each other without really noticing. for example, take haze and sugarnspice, i would assume for sugar, "love" would qualify as someone you would want to spend your life with and marry... however haze seems to define love as "i like you for now", else he would have committed to marrying sugar long ago.. yet, i assume here of course, they both say "i love you", and "i love you too"... which, in essence, is very hypocritical to me.

this dilemma seems rather unsolvable to me, yet seems to be part of every relationship... thoughts?

this dilemma seems rather unsolvable to me, yet seems to be part of every relationship... thoughts?

...two things...with regards to #1, laugh...sense of humor is so fucking huge you have no idea...or at least some of you do...

...and with regards to this #2...i'm pretty sure that haze and sugar have the same meaning of "love" but act it up on the board, well because it's the boards...but if this does occur outside it is a dilemna indeed...lack of reciprocity on any level with a mate flat out sucks...but if you're not sure or you're thinking on these terms, the best bet is to start the dialogue and not wonder any more...if you're in sync, great...if not, perhaps it's time to move on...

• 1 month later...
Dilemma 3:

Would you choose personal wealth and glory if it meant your descendants would languish in poverty and subservience, or hardship and persecution in your life if it meant glory and supremacy for your lineage?

so we are in feudal times?

do i get my pick of wenches ?, will Mel gibson rise up against me if i choose power?

• 4 months later...
Dilemma 4.

If you discovered that your mother and father had kidnapped you from your actual biological parents when you were a baby, and raised you as their own, would you turn them in?

omg that is horrible, i would never want to imagine that. but even if that really happened i wouldn't turn them in, they are still my parents as fucked up as that may sound. of course i would be devastated but that is all i know.

btw i think that insight tastey had about #2 is really good....its so true, love is so different for people and that is what causes so many conflicts. Your "i love you" could mean, i really like who you are and what you stand for, and you mean alot to me when the other person's "I love you" could be a jealous needy clinging or sometthing completely different. it really is true that people need to be in synch with each other in that aspect.

also i think "i love you" could evolve to mean different things throughout the relationship. in the beginning its all infatuation and feelings are so strong and everything but then it becomes all about the commitment, etc. but im sure everyone who has been in a long term relationship knows this.

your feelings can change over time so intstead of "i love you" being all romantic it can just become more of a friendly type of thing.

when u are old an dmarried "i love you" could just mean that you wil get out of bed at 4am to get your husband/wife water from the refrigerator when u are so fucking tired and u want to just lie there and not get up and are cursing them the whole way there, lol.

bella, you can spin that whole dilemma a lot further. bear with me this probably gonna get a little longer, the theme is taken from plato´s "symposium" and is more or less how i understood it, with some of my own thoughts put in. it absolutely hit home with me when i first read it. and there is a big dilemma at the end!

there is a "ladder" of love... a kind of growth of maturity. one´s first love is filled with excitement and it´s filled with enthusiasm, an obsession with this particular person. you can´t imagine yourself without that other person, you can´t imagine yourself with anyone else. it is that obsession that almost defines the "first real" love, it´s what we are like.

look at the famous play and epic love story romeo and juliet, it stops at that first stage. but what if two characters don´t die? what happens if the two characters find out that they, in the end, don´t get along. or "the one person" without whom you could not life your life decides he or she likes someone else, or gets transfered to another school or city?

we all know what happens, within a few months, you find somebody else, who is the most important person in the world to us... but after a while, that one too disappears, love disintegrates, and, you then might find a third person who is the most important person in your life, etc etc...

but, how long can one do this?

one could of course, do this forever. i am sure you too know a lot of people that are doing this. moving from one obsession to another, without ever learning anything about that obsession. you might learn a few techniques and tactics on the way, you learn how to come on better, get more adept at seducing the other sex. think "groundhog day" with bill murray. his approach changes every day, his techniques get better, but the desire still remains the same. only at the end he sees through that desire.

socrates argues that sometime you get to a point where you come to the philosophical insight that what you are in love with, what you are so obsessed with, is not this or that particular person, but, the beauty of that person, the goodness of that person.

and here is an interesting question: if it is the beauty and the goodness of that person you are in love with, then, you can love the beauty, the goodness in *another* person. there is not something particular and exclusive about love, but what you love in one person is something which in fact can be found in other people as well.

now, this leads to a paradox which is very troublesome. suppose you do love a person because he or she has a certain number of virtues or properties, say they are particularly charming, beautiful, witty, intelligent and kind... and then there is this other person, who is even a bit more charming, beautiful, witty, etc... doesn´t logic demand that you drop the first one, and go for the second one?

if you are in love with the beauty, the good, doesn´t the particular person become a matter of some indifference?

doesn´t logic demand that you drop the first one, and go for the second one?
This assumes there is no cost (in the game-theory sense) to switching. In reality switching carries the cost of separation anxiety (from the first love), the risk of the second love likewise switching, the physical and resource costs of wooing, the risk of retribution, etc.

Switching would only occur when the benefits outweigh the costs, which I believe does actually happen... more and more as the cost seems to be going down.

yo doom, let me know when you are here! if u are lucky there is a wild obsession party during the time you are staying, these are among the best parties in germany... its a fucking orgy, check out www.wildobsession.de

sid, agreed. valid argument, the costs seem to become less and less the more you switch. at least that has been my experience.