Clubplanet Nightlife Community

VA Tech shootings

stymie

Sorry if this is long:

First off, not having any plan or SOP in place for any emergency or crisis situation is foolish. Whatever guidelines Vtech had in place have not been fully released to the public, so we shall see. But no matter what you have in place, there is a way around almost anything.

Second, a fresh crime scene was in place at the time of the first shootings, as well as confusion. Evacuating the scene of the first shooting would have had to have been well organized to both protect the crime scene, and round up possible suspects and witnesses. An annoucement to evacuate that building should have been made once the police arrived on the scene to investigate, and all persons in that building kept in one area.

Third, the 2 hours between the shootings was a time of school officials and law enforcement trying to figure out what the hell had happened. But it was obviously clear that law enforcement had no known suspects or witnesses in the immediate area of the first crime scene, so law enforcement should have been dispersed to every building on campus, and each entrance secured, no one allowed inside. Every building should have been fully searched by police tactical units. The fact that police suspected the 1st female victim's boyfriend of the murders was only natural, and valuable time was lost focusing on a plausable suspect. But I think evacuating buildings in mass would have given the shooter cause to panic, and shoot more people, also causing the people to get caught in the crossfire of police and the shooter.

Add to all of this the reality that this is not a normal occurance on any college campus, makes preparation for any such incidents unlikely. We always try to adapt from our mistakes or other people's actions by trying to be better prepared. But everyday, someone proves that there is a way around everything.

One solution should be for all schools on any level to have panic alarms located in each classroom, office, gathering area, dorm, etc. Like 9/11, mistakes are made by normally competant people placed in extraordinary situations.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add to all of this the reality that this is not a normal occurance on any college campus, makes preparation for any such incidents unlikely. We always try to adapt from our mistakes or other people's actions by trying to be better prepared. But everyday, someone proves that there is a way around everything.

Exactly... how do you prepare for something this extreme? Its not every day some guy goes crazy and just shoots people on a college campus.

Sure looking back and analyzing the event - i'm sure some things could have been handled differently - but really, how do you prepare for some freak to charge in with a semi-automatic pistol? Unless your in the military, then I just have a hard time believing most normal training for college campus security would include this. perhaps now it will?

Its just shame things like this happen in our world. I feel so bad for those kids at VaTech.. and their family.. i mean here they are trying to get an education and this happens...

so sad :(

if i was in high school now, i would have attended the same school as the shooter and 2 of the victims...

i think when i was in high school, the biggest majority of the graduating class went to tech too, so if you live in this area, you know someone who's at tech, or went to tech, my sister graduated from tech, same with some of my cousins, and I have a cousin there right now, and some friends... another cousin is going there next year...

a friend of mine was friends with the shooters sister in high school, don't think they kept in contact after that..

my cousin was friends with 2 of the girls that died, another friend knew one of the girls that died, and his friend had just gotten one of the girls #'s that died the day before... and then one of my co-workers, one of the girls that died, their daughter was their roommate..

by placing more alarms in schools..or restrictions on owning weapons..or banning silverware from planes..and liquid from carry ons..etc etc..we get closer and closer to becoming the police state which we accuse Cuba and other countries of being ...

if i was in high school now, i would have attended the same school as the shooter and 2 of the victims...

i think when i was in high school, the biggest majority of the graduating class went to tech too, so if you live in this area, you know someone who's at tech, or went to tech, my sister graduated from tech, same with some of my cousins, and I have a cousin there right now, and some friends... another cousin is going there next year...

a friend of mine was friends with the shooters sister in high school, don't think they kept in contact after that..

my cousin was friends with 2 of the girls that died, another friend knew one of the girls that died, and his friend had just gotten one of the girls #'s that died the day before... and then one of my co-workers, one of the girls that died, their daughter was their roommate..

:jawdrop: thats crazy!! Thats hits waaaaaaaaay too close to home :(

my point exactly..the more policing and rules we try to implement..the more we restrict peoples civil liberties....the more a chance of people lashing out in unfortunate incidents like this ...

every society has someone that blows a gasket, sometimes they kill themselves, sometimes they take out others.

so sorry to hear that. wow.