Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dj's quitting it all (hanging up the headphones)

hehateme

So far i have 4 friends (djs) who have quit the use of the decks this year. Some of it has to do with the age group i am part of. Couple of them give mention that its time to start or grow their family life and so on but the others are just quiting for an entirely different reason:

(Everybody is a dj)

This seems to be the most popular of reasons..... but my question is,

Is there a wave starting that we don't yet notice?

Are we about to beging loosing one of the greatest hobbies to our lifestyles or even just watch it dwindle down to a skeleton crew of wanna-bies and quitters.

I have to say, the terms im using for it might be a little harsh but the bottom line is that im pretty concerned.

Anyone else noticing this as a small trend too?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far i have 4 friends (djs) who have quit the use of the decks this year. Some of it has to do with the age group i am part of. Couple of them give mention that its time to start or grow their family life and so on but the others are just quiting for an entirely different reason:

(Everybody is a dj)

This seems to be the most popular of reasons..... but my question is,

Is there a wave starting that we don't yet notice?

Are we about to beging loosing one of the greatest hobbies to our lifestyles or even just watch it dwindle down to a skeleton crew of wanna-bies and quitters.

I have to say, the terms im using for it might be a little harsh but the bottom line is that im pretty concerned.

Anyone else noticing this as a small trend too?

I think it's a natural trend. Let's face it, EDM is not the most accessible genre out there. Tastes mature. From my experience, I've noticed a steady decline in the kind of house music I listen to. My taste is becomming more and more fine tuned to a point where other genres of EDM sound much more shallow. I remember a time when all I listened to was trance music. If I listen to trance today, it sounds laughable.

In addition to that, there comes a point in one's life when it is time to give up on certain unfullfilled dreams and just move on. Maybe some of these DJs have come to that point.

I must say that the arrival of MP3s have not helped the situation either. Nowadays people that clearly have little passion (meaning they don't buy vinyl and really don't spend money on music ) still have the ability to attempt to spin.

I still believe that skills and passion will overcome all the posers and wannabe's out there. It's just harder now to make a name for yourself.

yeah this whole mma thing is out of control. every kid that wrestled in high school or college thinks they can mma fight now and all these morons go out and get a white belt in jui jitsu, take 147th place in a tourney and they think they can fight in pro mma.

yeah this whole mma thing is out of control. every kid that wrestled in high school or college thinks they can mma fight now and all these morons go out and get a white belt in jui jitsu, take 147th place in a tourney and they think they can fight in pro mma.

:rofl: At the five years I've been at Renzo Gracie's, it has been fucking hilarious to see what Spike TV has recently done to BJJ. It's always the same script:

A new guy comes in every week, with his freshly shaved head, blasting Hatebreed through his I-Pod, and tells everyone that he was an all-conference wrestler at some local diploma mill/community college when he went to a -take your pick (Ralph Gracie/B.J. Penn/Matt Serra) - seminar and got to spar with the said fighter. Of course the guy does so well and impresses everyone so much, the said fighter recommends him to go professional. The guy starts to train, and flips out every time he goes for a double-leg takedown, only to always land into a guillotine choke and gets tapped out. His anger rages, and he claims that the only people who apply submissions on their backs are “pussiesâ€, and that if striking was allowed, he would ground and pound everyone to death. And so on, and so on . . .

it comes in waves...dj's 5 yrs ago...mortgage brokers 2 yrs ago...MMA fighters now...

soon all the tools involved in this will realize theyre not good enough to make it..and its just a fad..and will hang it up soon enough

gee....i wonder who you're trying to take a weak dig at

good one serge

I think it's a natural trend. Let's face it, EDM is not the most accessible genre out there. Tastes mature. From my experience, I've noticed a steady decline in the kind of house music I listen to. My taste is becomming more and more fine tuned to a point where other genres of EDM sound much more shallow. I remember a time when all I listened to was trance music. If I listen to trance today, it sounds laughable.

In addition to that, there comes a point in one's life when it is time to give up on certain unfullfilled dreams and just move on. Maybe some of these DJs have come to that point.

I must say that the arrival of MP3s have not helped the situation either. Nowadays people that clearly have little passion (meaning they don't buy vinyl and really don't spend money on music ) still have the ability to attempt to spin.

I still believe that skills and passion will overcome all the posers and wannabe's out there. It's just harder now to make a name for yourself.

Agreed. That and most people grow up and mature and just lose interest in favor of things that matter more like career and family. Think about how many kids played the guitar in high school and wanted to join a band. They practiced and learned day in and day out. They got a couple of people together with the same drive and tested the waters. After the play ran its course they moved on and never forgot how to play the guitar, but just dropped the crazy dreams of making it in a rock band.

I dont think anybody regrets what they attempted because its fun while it lasts, but like anything else it has to end sometime.

:rofl: At the five years I've been at Renzo Gracie's, it has been fucking hilarious to see what Spike TV has recently done to BJJ. It's always the same script:

A new guy comes in every week, with his freshly shaved head, blasting Hatebreed through his I-Pod, and tells everyone that he was an all-conference wrestler at some local diploma mill/community college when he went to a -take your pick (Ralph Gracie/B.J. Penn/Matt Serra) - seminar and got to spar with the said fighter. Of course the guy does so well and impresses everyone so much, the said fighter recommends him to go professional. The guy starts to train, and flips out every time he goes for a double-leg takedown, only to always land into a guillotine choke and gets tapped out. His anger rages, and he claims that the only people who apply submissions on their backs are “pussiesâ€, and that if striking was allowed, he would ground and pound everyone to death. And so on, and so on . . .

There's a guy in our gym is almost a carbon copy of the person you're describing. He's paying for all these private lessons to go pro and walking around telling everyone how he was a wrestler and how to not fuck with grapplers, etc. I gave in one day and asked where he wrestled and he said "Carmel Mountain High. Varsity". Needless to say he gets his ass handed to him all the fucking time and he's actually competing soon against decent competition.

So sad the ego of man

There's a guy in our gym is almost a carbon copy of the person you're describing. He's paying for all these private lessons to go pro and walking around telling everyone how he was a wrestler and how to not fuck with grapplers, etc. I gave in one day and asked where he wrestled and he said "Carmel Mountain High. Varsity". Needless to say he gets his ass handed to him all the fucking time and he's actually competing soon against decent competition.

So sad the ego of man

:rofl: The locker room talk is priceless as well. "Yeah yo, my clinch is so strong after doing six months of Muay Thai. I'm probably more techincal than Fedor in that aspect".

:rofl: The locker room talk is priceless as well. "Yeah yo, my clinch is so strong after doing six months of Muay Thai. I'm probably more techincal than Fedor in that aspect".

:laugh:

Or when you hear people talking about getting in the octagon. There's only so many times you can roll your eyes

My clinch is soo strong after doing 6 weeks of Muay Thai...dont hate