Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My New Career--Is anyone else a health or life insurance agent too?

I'm starting in a new career. Last year I was doing a job selling medical discount plans that was good for people who couldn't afford regular health insurance, but it was a limited plan with limited benefits, that fell far short of actual health insurance (they had discounted products packaged along with certain insured products, but it wasn't a full insurance policy amd we didn't advertise or sell it as such. But I always disliked that it was less than what I wished I could do for people, even those who couldn't afford more, but I never considered actually doing more and selling actual insurance with actual insurance companies.

But yet I had wanted to feel good doing more, selling more, offering more, helping more, etc, I just never wanted to be an actual health insurance agent. My mother was a health insurance agent for many years before she died and I'd never expected I'd ever follow in her footsteps. But with my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder listing my various sales experience and mentioning the medical discount plan operation, it led to my being contacted by several insurance companies. One thing led to another things just sort of fell into place, and after being interviewed and offered jobs by 2 health and life insurance companies, I decided that this was where my path was taking me after all, and I finally comitted myself.

So I accepted a job with the 2nd company, studied for a few weeks waiting for the state to give me the exam, and got my insurance license last Friday and started my new job yesterday with the south Florida office of a national PPO.

Are there any more insurance agents in CP land? Do you like what you're doing?

I'm starting in a new career. Last year I was doing a job selling medical discount plans that was good for people who couldn't afford regular health insurance, but it was a limited plan with limited benefits, that fell far short of actual health insurance (they had discounted products packaged along with certain insured products, but it wasn't a full insurance policy amd we didn't advertise or sell it as such. But I always disliked that it was less than what I wished I could do for people, even those who couldn't afford more, but I never considered actually doing more and selling actual insurance with actual insurance companies.

But yet I had wanted to feel good doing more, selling more, offering more, helping more, etc, I just never wanted to be an actual health insurance agent. My mother was a health insurance agent for many years before she died and I'd never expected I'd ever follow in her footsteps. But with my resume on Monster and Careerbuilder listing my various sales experience and mentioning the medical discount plan operation, it led to my being contacted by several insurance companies. One thing led to another things just sort of fell into place, and after being interviewed and offered jobs by 2 health and life insurance companies, I decided that this was where my path was taking me after all, and I finally comitted myself.

So I accepted a job with the 2nd company, studied for a few weeks waiting for the state to give me the exam, and got my insurance license last Friday and started my new job yesterday with the south Florida office of a national PPO.

You spelled committed incorrectly, nitwit sir. :D

Congrats.

i sold pension insurances for little while

how are you getting paid? pyramide-scheme?

a guy in a really expensive suit approached me on the street in frankfurt and asked me if i was interested in selling them. they paid for a weekend seminar in a nice hotel, food and drinks included

we had a 7 level system, after a certain amount of sold contracts you would move up, and as soon as you were on level 2 you could hire new level 1 people from whose sales you would collect percentages.

it paid well too, i got 300-500 euro per sold insurance, which was rather spectacular as a student job. there was (and still is) really good money to be made there, the guy who found me got like 200 euro for every contract i sold, and some more for the people below me. he told me he would pay for one weekend las vegas all costs covered if i brought 4 new people to the next seminar. i did and he delivered. there is a lot of money in the business obviously.

the drawback however (for me), was that i wanted nothing to do with insurances. eventually i found a good offer for a 6 months practica in a marketing firm and left the insurance, because eventually i will be going into PR and that insurance thing does nothing to get me into that direction. also your personal reputation suffers. insurance salesmen have a really bad reputation. friends told me they have actually lost friends to that firm cause the insurance were all they were talking and thinking about, how to get new contacts, you couldnt bring them to any parties because they would try to "make contacts" there. etc... the point is that even if you are not like that you will be associated with these people and their behaviour.

do not ask friends etc to buy your insurance except if they come to you on their own. on the seminar they had really weird tactics. for example we should call friends and aquaintances, and set up a meeting, telling them only "i have something very interesting for you, you will really like it" without really telling them what it is over the phone. creepy stuff... if a friend of mine did that, then showed me some insurance on the meeting i would hit him on the back of the head and ask him what he is thinking.

there is good money to be made there however.

I'm starting in a new career.

What a coinki-dink!

I just passed my health, accident, and sickness and life insurance exams this week. I am waiting for my licenses to come in the mail :clap2:

What a coinki-dink!

I just passed my health, accident, and sickness and life insurance exams this week. I am waiting for my licenses to come in the mail :clap2:

Sweet! Congrats to you too! Were you tested by Promisary? I know they're based in Mass. I was tested by them down here, but they were able to produce and give me my license on the spot. I'm surprised you have to wait for yours in the mail.

So the company you're working for in Florida is insurance?

i sold pension insurances for little while

how are you getting paid? pyramide-scheme?

a guy in a really expensive suit approached me on the street in frankfurt and asked me if i was interested in selling them. they paid for a weekend seminar in a nice hotel, food and drinks included

we had a 7 level system, after a certain amount of sold contracts you would move up, and as soon as you were on level 2 you could hire new level 1 people from whose sales you would collect percentages.

it paid well too, i got 300-500 euro per sold insurance, which was rather spectacular as a student job. there was (and still is) really good money to be made there, the guy who found me got like 200 euro for every contract i sold, and some more for the people below me. he told me he would pay for one weekend las vegas all costs covered if i brought 4 new people to the next seminar. i did and he delivered. there is a lot of money in the business obviously.

the drawback however (for me), was that i wanted nothing to do with insurances. eventually i found a good offer for a 6 months practica in a marketing firm and left the insurance, because eventually i will be going into PR and that insurance thing does nothing to get me into that direction. also your personal reputation suffers. insurance salesmen have a really bad reputation. friends told me they have actually lost friends to that firm cause the insurance were all they were talking and thinking about, how to get new contacts, you couldnt bring them to any parties because they would try to "make contacts" there. etc... the point is that even if you are not like that you will be associated with these people and their behaviour.

do not ask friends etc to buy your insurance except if they come to you on their own. on the seminar they had really weird tactics. for example we should call friends and aquaintances, and set up a meeting, telling them only "i have something very interesting for you, you will really like it" without really telling them what it is over the phone. creepy stuff... if a friend of mine did that, then showed me some insurance on the meeting i would hit him on the back of the head and ask him what he is thinking.

there is good money to be made there however.

No dude, nothing remotely like a pyramid. It's a legit company selling real insurance to customers.

• 4 weeks later...
Sweet! Congrats to you too! Were you tested by Promisary? I know they're based in Mass. I was tested by them down here, but they were able to produce and give me my license on the spot. I'm surprised you have to wait for yours in the mail.

Nope, I tested at Thompson Prometric Testing site. They use Promisary in RI though.

I should have my Florida license by Monday. :clap2:

So they gave you your license right there on the spot? Hmm, thats weird. I had to get my finger printing done for Fla., background check, blah blah before they will issue it to me. I got 2 certificates on the spot when I passed my tests, but had to wait for the licenses to come in the mail.

Oh and I thought they would be fancy schmancy little things that I could hang on the wall but they were quite boring. :(

• 3 months later...
I am contracted as an independant agent, but I work for one company. How are you doing in your new job?

I am doing FABULOUSS!! :clap2: :clap2:

Thank you for asking! I am an independent agent also. Things are really taking off and I am on pace to be the sugahhh momma of the house fer sure 5.gif

How about you?

I am doing FABULOUSS!! :clap2: :clap2:

Thank you for asking! I am an independent agent also. Things are really taking off and I am on pace to be the sugahhh momma of the house fer sure 5.gif

How about you?

I'm doing great too, although we're going through a time of slowness right now between a transition of change from one company's product to selling 4...and that people don't want to be bothered nearing Christmas because they have too much on their plates right now, until after the holidays. So December is a slow month for us, and me. After the holidays, things will get better. :aright:

I'm glad it's working out for you. It's a fantastic business to be in.

I'm doing great too, although we're going through a time of slowness right now between a transition of change from one company's product to selling 4...and that people don't want to be bothered nearing Christmas because they have too much on their plates right now, until after the holidays. So December is a slow month for us, and me. After the holidays, things will get better. :aright:

I'm glad it's working out for you. It's a fantastic business to be in.

It was just the opposite for me...I had a SUPER busy month and I could only wish that every month can be this productive! :)

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Sooooooooo, I just got back from taking my Florida resident license exam!!

Passssssssssssssed with flying colors!!2.gif Yay! Promissor is a breeze next to that crap in Mass.

Oh how I love south Florida :clap2: I'm going to lay out in the sun 4.gif