Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So Long Joe Torre

tristan22

My personal opinion, Joe deserved better. Its tough enough being a manager in New York, to have an owner blast you in the open media even before the team has been eliminated is downright despicable.The deal offered looked like bait to get him to leave on his own accord. When the dust has settled, this will all look like a knee jerk reaction on so many levels. To shortchange someone of $2 million of their base salary and claim its justified while Clemens earned more than the entire Tampa Bay Devil Rays roster and was DONE before the postseason is just way out there. Everyone has their own opinion, lets hear yours.

fkornre, I'm not sure why o how you think Showalter put those teams together when it was actually Stick Michael orchestrated that whole thing.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand Torre has taken the Yanks to 6 WS in 12 years and won 4 of them. that's impressive no matter how high your payroll is. Anybody who knows baseball knows it's a probablistic game and the best team won't always win 7 game series.

on the other hand...was he expecting a pay INCREASE or something? The contract he was offered was imo very fair. although, i dont really think it was about the money i think the fact that he would actually ACCEPT a pay cut would in some way represent weakness.

oh well, wb to NY Joe Girardi.

Caleb

bob watson /stick michael /buck showalter and steinbrenners suspension/banishment all equal parts to the success.

Joe was never comin back esp. if only a 1 yr deal , he wanted to open up the new stadium as mgr.

MOney was fair and it would have been a raise if he got to the series

oh well....... get girardi now!!!

Bottom line is that they (Yankee mgmt) clearly didn't want him back, so they made an offer that was deemed "fair", but at the same time knew he wouldn't accept. That way they could just say that Joe didn't accept their offer and there would be no "blood on their hands". Clearly that move backfired on them. From a PR standpoint they would have been much better off to just tell Joe straight up that they're going in a different direction. Now not only does the next manager have some gigantic shoes to fill, but the only way that Yankee mgmt looks good is if they at least make it to the ALCS, since that's where Joe couldn't get them to over the last few years. I agree that it was time for Joe to go, but the Yankees could not have handled that any worse imo... It will have an impact on their ability to sign their impending free agents as well...

Bottom line is that they (Yankee mgmt) clearly didn't want him back, so they made an offer that was deemed "fair", but at the same time knew he wouldn't accept. That way they could just say that Joe didn't accept their offer and there would be no "blood on their hands". Clearly that move backfired on them. From a PR standpoint they would have been much better off to just tell Joe straight up that they're going in a different direction. Now not only does the next manager have some gigantic shoes to fill, but the only way that Yankee mgmt looks good is if they at least make it to the ALCS, since that's where Joe couldn't get them to over the last few years. I agree that it was time for Joe to go, but the Yankees could not have handled that any worse imo... It will have an impact on their ability to sign their impending free agents as well...

Well said Kfitz73, it was all a ruse to get him off their payroll without looking bad. And, its also true that true yankee fans are in limbo: what if the yankees dont achieve near the success under Joe Torre..then what?? Randy Levine (the president) has just dug his own PR grave. If this team doesnt achieve the projected success, he has to answer to the part owners and fans. I thinbk he's getting a free pass. Since he took office, the team hasnt wont any World Series championships. I'm sure he will chalk it to "new manager" to buy himself time. I honestly think him and the Tampa regime should re-evaluate themselves and step down if not get a pay cut. Good for Joe to turn it down. This all reeks of posturing. Anyone doubt the yankees wanted Joe out ? if you do, you must believe in santa Claus too. just my opinion.