Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Exclusive MERRITT Interview for BoomBoxGlobal HERE

MerrittQ&A – BoomBoxGlobal.com Interview

By Artie Cabrera 'DJ MUTT'

1.What was your start off point and the progression that finally put you on the map?

A party I did years ago with a friend called Sugar Babies pretty much put me on the map. It started off as an excuse for friends to get together and hang out on Mondays and grew into an East Village underground phenomenon that ended up being featured in The Village Voice, Paper and I.D. Magazine.

2.Your sound is very distinctive, what makes that so and how is it tailored for you?

That's because I don't take the whole DJ thing or myself too seriously. It should be about having fun and about the music, not about stroking a DJ's inflated ego.

The club scene treads a fine line between fantasy and reality, some people get too caught up in the fantasy aspects of it and think they're rock stars when the sad fact is, they're not. Once delusion sets in, things get dull pretty quick.

I approach this with the attitude that it's a house party being held at my place and everyone's invited. I pay a great deal of attention to the crowd and make sure they're having a good time, same way that if I were throwing a party at home, I would want everyone to be having fun. I like having contact with my crowd, just as long as they don't get too crazy.

In answer to your other question, my sound comes from the music that influenced me before I became a "DJ": a lot of non-dance music and alternative dance material like Yello, Cabaret Voltaire, Art of Noise, Grace Jones and Siouxsie and the Banshees mixed in with old-school Chicago House and Techno.

3.How do you go about programming out a night?

I don't. I think things should be spontaneous. Once you "program" anything it becomes just as it sounds: mechanized and restricted. I don't have any DJ equipment at home and never practice either, the creative process should be organic.

4.Who are your influences as a DJ and/or Producer and how do you apply it to what you do?

As far as dance music, my sister who was a party monster and would go out dancing every night, originally influenced me. She used to bring home whatever was hot in the clubs at the time (music wise that is) and had a huge vinyl collection, so I grew up listening to all this crazy stuff before I even knew what a club was.

Eventually I began clubbing myself and would go to places like Red Zone to hear David Morales, Love Machine at The Underground and Mars, both for Larry T and Sound Factory (the original one), which at the time was a combination of Junior Vasquez and guest DJs. Then I would hit the record stores and buy two copies of anything that had a David Morales Red Zone Dub or a C&C Music Factory "Dub of Doom" on it.

5.What can you say to someone who doesn't really know or hasn't seen the industry side of being a DJ?

The business has seen better days. I stay clear of all the drama, but I hear from a lot of the younger DJs trying to make a name for themselves that there's a lot of back-stabbing going on. Unfortunately club politics have taken the fun out of it, so anyone trying to get into the business should beware.

6.What's a big misconception when it comes to DJs and the lifestyle?

I can only speak for myself, but I find people outside of the club business think I party all the time when in reality I probably go out less than the average person. That, plus they all think I get laid all the time. If only.

7.What are your DJ pet peeves?

I don't have many. Every once in a while I come across a DJ booth which is not well equipped, but from years of doing this I've learned to just make the most of it. Of course if it's an incredibly bad set up, I'm not likely to return. Having the sound system function properly is more important than pretty decorations, club owners need to learn that.

8.What are DJ's 'do's and don'ts'?…tips and pointers.

"Don't" ask too many DJ questions…just kidding. Going back to one of the first questions, I would say "don't" take yourself or the business too seriously. "Do" keep your day job.

9.What's your most embarrassing DJ moment or strangest occurrence at a club?

I used to spin at Disco 2000 at Limelight, nothing is embarrassing or strange to me. I've seen A LOT in all the years I've been in this business, so I couldn't narrow it down to just one thing. You'll just have to wait for the book…or the movie.

10.How do you think the scene today differs from the scene from a decade ago?… for better or worse?

What scene? I don't think you need to have been around a long time to agree that there's not much of a club scene left in New York City. Even friends from out of town who have haven't been here in a while are in shock of what it's become when they visit.

Needless to say, we have no clubs left and the scene is more drug-driven than ever before. Not surprisingly, there's more of a "scene" outside the city these days. I had a blast in Connecticut recently and some friends and I had a great time one night in the Coney Island area. All these kids out there were listening to all this old-school techno and hard, underground beats. It reminded me of what the East Village used to be like. A lot of life.

11.So this doesn't come off like a negative reflection on the scene what are the good things about it?

I guess that there are still some people left who like to go out for the music and to have fun. Plus I have come across a couple of up and coming DJs who have the right attitude and whose sound I enjoyed: Exacta, Young Cesare and Dave Rosario in particular, so there's hope. Maybe at some point the tide will turn.

12.This last spot is for your shout outs, anything random, famous last words or plugs for parties, music or whatever you want.

Famous last words? What is this, The Alamo? Without sounding like a cliché, I really would like to thank all the people who come out and support me when I spin, their energy and love are what inspires and motivates me above anything else.

www.Myspace.com/MerrittX

CHECK OUT BOOMBOXGLOBAL FOR THE HOTTEST DJ MIXES!!

Merrit is the man! He is a dying breed of DJ;s in NYC. Never about the money, always about the music and having fun. The guy spins all over NYC for decades. I have nothing but respect for Dj's like that and hope more to come of his style in the future...