Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJs ????? Vinyl / CD / MP3

B-SIDE1414779017

What do you currently use the most ???  

1. 1. What do you currently use the most ???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

I'm not a DJ, you insensitive clod!

;D

(obscure reference to another non-club related site...)

But I would have to say, if I was to be a DJ, I would make room for all three in my arsenal...I would not want to miss out on a track because I could not play it back.

Oh, and B-side, you left out DVD hehe 8)

Guest demo909

that dvd non sense that sander used was nothing more than a gimick...i don't see it taking off for the practical dj's

Guest pod

I'm a visually oriented person, so visual things rock in my book.

I see DVD taking off as both a visual and audio medium. Eventually, DVD±R/RW will replace CDs I'm guessing.

Guest Adam Singer

vinyl 95% of the time

the other 5% cd-r to mix my own tracks...

the way i see it, as a dj you should support vinyl, pay the cash for the records, supporting your music and your artists you love so much...

cd's just aren't as fun

mp3's are even worse and the sound quality is crap...

the only way i drop a Cd-R is to mix something I made or a friend made...or something that isnt released but was given to me *BY THAT ARTIST* with expressed consent I could mix it....

but thats just how i was brought up :)

Guest Adam Singer

0's and 1's of digital sound can't compare to the full reproduction of the sound of a nice and thick, clean, and quality vinyl press...the analog sound is so fat, real, and full...mmmmmm

I agree ..its good to know how to work the turntables n cd players..both at the same time...soo much music out there..everyweek new stuff comming out...CRAZY!!

But the truth is I'm totally a CD freak..yes...CD..I've gotten crap for this since I started to DJ back in 95...I started out djing with some Dennon's that had speed control buttons on them...they were your standard looking cd players..I learned how to dj on them....and then I discovered the Pioneers CDj100s..that toally changed my view on djing..n gave me the sign that all this time ..spinning on cds was worth it...

The idea of spinning on CDs always was intresting to me...For me I saw it as a new style of mixing...and I was right...I got my Pioneers in 98..n since then my skills as a Dj have advanced soo much...I am able to do things with a track on a cd player...for example: taking parts of a track n sampling wiith the cue buttons...throwing in sound effects like..the zip..wax..or jet...and you can switch of tracks quicker..plus the sound quality is DIGITAL!! and thats always good..

I give props to the vinyl junkies out there..no doubt...From perfection my skills on cd players..I was able to learn how to spin or records better...My tru test came when I was in the Cooljunkie Dj competion Heats..n that night when I played ..I only went on records...I didn't win my heat ..but personally I felt I did good..specially when I hadn't touch a record in months n that was the 1st time in a while...

So yeah I do both ...but I'm hear to say.. all you out there that don't give CD playing djs props..BRing it on!! The future is here..n its not just about the vinyl anymore...CD playing djs need there do respect ...Its all in the music u play ..n how u can work it.....n the magic u came bring into to it...

Guest pod

Sound quality is debatable. Depends on mastering, and a whole host of factors...

Frankly, as far as raw quality, DVD-audio is going to put everything else to shame...

And unless you're on a top system, 90 percent of the time, it is very difficult to tell.

I haven't been DJing long but I was a vinyl junkie for maybe 6 months, then I bought Final Scrath. It's great when you're playing the whole party/night or get to the club beforehand to set it up, otherwise it can turn nightmarish. When I play Psy/Goa (my fav. genre) I use CDs exclusively provided that the club has CD players. If not, I bring out my laptop with Traktor and I have to admit I love it. I got all functions mapped on the keyboard, nice loops and cue points preset and you don't have to dig for "that record" in the dark. My last set at Lumonics I went loop crazy, probably played over 30 different ones over the course of the hour. Even though only a couple of people in the crowd asked "which remix was that" I entertained the hell out of myself...

POD: :P

I didn't include DVD's because I asked DJ's and NOT VJ's :D

But seriously it's interesting you that brought it up...

I feel as long as the Vid's are truly in context to what the audio is relaying... why not have DVDs... ALthough I would prefer to use the MIDI Turntbale if I was doing lights along with DJ-ing.

When I started out (ages ago) I was the Light Jockey & DJ in the only House club in New Orleans... so I value the ability of using visuals...

FYI: I'm a vinyl whore... even though I endorse FS! 8)

at the end of the day... I'll use what I gotta, to get the job done! DID someone say 8-Track :D

Sound quality and "soulfullness" debate aside I can hardly find a reason to use vinyl unless you intend to scratch and spin it on a fingertip when you're switching disks to wow the crowd and what not. On the other hand I can totally see why the majority of DJs chose to use it. Again, I love it all but I chose convinience, plus my genre on music simply doesn't get pressed on vinyl. When people ask me why I don't spin vinyl I usually say "cause it warps under the hot Indian sun" ;D

Guest Adam Singer

pioneer had a cool idea with the dvd player...................................................

but for 3200 bones, it simply isnt worth it!

Guest pod

Because it works.

The AK-47 hasn't changed much since 1947. Why? Cause it's easy to use, and gets the job done with minimal hassle. One of the few things the USSR did right.

sometimes i just dont understand if technology advances so fast why do u guys still use the same turntable since 1979 ..

Because that is what djing is about. You shouldn't forget the past. I will always play vinyl no matter how good technology gets. I not saying dont use technology just dont forget about how it all began.

PEACE

MIRZA

8)

Guest booke

once you go black you never go back VINYL baby! 8)

Just the feeling of a nice 12". Also I have found it easier to mix with vinyl. I used to mix CD's at Brunswick Lanes(bowling alley) in margate I had no pitch controls and just seperate volumes for the CD/DVD players..i dont thinkn they were called dvd s yet though, we used to get promo vids and those promo only cds. Had to match beats with a limited choice recorded at the same bpm at least the cds had the bpm labeled. * Back to VINYL baby! The sound is just richer and deeper and I just like the feeling under my hands, though I really haven't given Cds or pc mixing a real go..dont think i will either, VINYL will always be #1. ;D

As a Home DJ, I really don't have the spare income nor the need for all of the equipment. I am 100% vinyl but could definitely see the benefits of CD's. MP3's are a little questionable, quality has to be really good. A caselogic of 100 cd's sure beats lugging 100 LP's.