Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cuban Baby Shower Question

Guest guyman1966

Guest guyman1966

So I get back to town from my trip and Mrs. Guyman has a Baby Shower to attend. So The Saleen and I plan on taking my kids to the beach and hanging out... no problem. Sunday morning my wife says: "Is it strange that the invite says that there is a $20 charge per person to attend the shower"? So, not only did my wife have to pay her way, but also spend money on a gift!

She was told its a "Cuban Custom"

Is this bullshit? Did they just take advantage of her good nature?

Guest bingo_the_clown

Now, I can't speak for Cubans (I hear a whole gaggle of cheering Cubans) but to the best of my knowledge, that's not a Cuban custom. It might be an American-Cuban custom, I don't know.

Wait! I know! It's a eurotrash custom! Those damned europeans are trying to subvert our society again by making us pay them to attend their parties! Dammit, they should be paying us. Pass the beer!

But seriously, I've never heard of that, and I've been to several hundred baby showers (none of them mine, I swear!) The gift is usually 'the deal.' Everybody has their own customs, though, because I'd never heard of an engagement party until my one friend had one, and even then I thought it was just an excuse to have a party until recently, when I was invited to another one.

;D

Guest LeVeL

I have heard of parties that have charged $40 for a baby shower. I gues its like a good courtesy to help out the couple when the baby finally get to the world. I really dont agree with the charge but if you think about it could be reasonable.

whats worse is, go to a wedding in the south, the guests don't give gifts or money. I went to one, and only the people from the north gave any money.... I felt bad for them.

as for the baby shower, if they charge 20 bucks, I'd not go. how fucking trailer park are these people?

Guest shannon_coolj.

i think they totally took advantage of mrs. guyman :-\

if i were her, i wouldn't have gone...

what kind of friends are those??

Guest shannon_coolj.

I'd tell her it is her own fault for getting knocked up in the first place, and not to expect a handout.

haha...

damn

Guest pod

If she didn't get drunk and let José bang her in the back of his lowered Honda Civic, Mrs. Guyman wouldn't be having this conversation. :o

Guest ddg

whats worse is, go to a wedding in the south, the guests don't give gifts or money. I went to one, and only the people from the north gave any money.... I felt bad for them.

not true...been to a couple of weddings in carolina and georgia...plenty of both (money and gifts)

Guest durrtylexx

I dunno about baby showers, but recently I had to go to a engagement party and I had to give the couple money.And then in October I have to buy them another gift for the wedding, whats up with that bullsh*t.Btw the groom is Cuban and the bride is Puerto Rican.I think thats some BS!!!

Guest Clarisa

What a bunch of crock!!!! Where the hell has the etiquette gone to? I WOULDN'T GO! What next... pay for the childs education?

Not a "Cuban" thing.

I know of a couple who charged 30 bucks for the shower. This couple is pretty well off and really didn't need the money. But I do think that they are doing it to replace the costs of the shower as well as make a little extra cash. That's what Miami is all about. How much can I scam my way! >:(

Guest bingo_the_clown

Whatever... it doesn't matter how much they charge, or how great the party is, because "Back in Cuba, oyeme mijito! We had the *biggest* baby chowers in the world!"

;D

Guest guyman1966

I dunno about baby showers, but recently I had to go to a engagement party and I had to give the couple money.And then in October I have to buy them another gift for the wedding, whats up with that bullsh*t.Btw the groom is Cuban and the bride is Puerto Rican.I think thats some BS!!!

If your name reflects where you live - Buck up rich boy and pay your way! LOL

I expect to bring a gift to any party we are invited to. But - Don't charge me a cover!!!!

Last August I threw a huge bash for Mrs. Guyman. And, instead of gifts we encouraged our guests to make a contribution to charity. We did not tell people they had to - it was just a polite request. - btw - the party was HUGE - open bar, food, dancers, body painted bartender and more!!!

RBS - said its a "miami thing" not a Cuban thing. I can't say where it comes from - but if you can't afford to throw a party - DON'T!

Guest bcnjunkie

some people do it to help the cost of the shower !, most guest, I found, don't mind paying it... still who cares !

Guest bcnjunkie

not my sisters baby shower !... It was passed hors d'eouvres and passed petit fours for four hours waiters to pass, to clean and to serve drinks. The drinks were champagne, Passion fruit Iced tead, plain iced tea, sparkling and still mineral water, white and red wine, sodas and Fresh squeezed orange juice. And it certainly didn't cost $ 100.00 and nobody had to pay to attend.

Guest Clarisa

Whatever... it doesn't matter how much they charge, or how great the party is, because "Back in Cuba, oyeme mijito! We had the *biggest* baby chowers in the world!"

;D

Oye en los tiempos de atras me acuerdo ir a las fiestas y la familia contenta que habian gentes disfrutando no en cuanto fue que se gasto.

Guest guyman1966

not my sisters baby shower

Based 100% on your posts - I hate to think about anyone that shares your Gene pool reproducing.

You need to be snipped and your sister needs her tubes tied.

Guest bcnjunkie

Based 100% on your posts - I hate to think about anyone that shares your Gene pool reproducing.

zzzzzz........ zzzzzzzz......... zzzzzzzzz.......

Guest guyman1966

zzzzzz........ zzzzzzzz......... zzzzzzzzz.......

How many times are you going to use the same bad joke?