Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cooljunkie Spin off this 2004?

Guest ravnroly

Guest AlanS

2 years ago I made it to the final 9 with a very sexy deep cd

I said win not make it to the Finals. Also was it at space two years ago?

I agree with your line a thinking here Marcus. To have a shot at winning, you need to look at the venues that will be played during the heats and finals and bring out your best sounds to fit the venues/crowds and throw together a mix that will work well in both places, that somehow stands out to those selecting the finalists. Then, live up to your mix in the heats, get the crowd moving and get the judges votes.

BUT...it seems to me that a deeper funkier housey type of sound is appealing to a wider audience these days, so that type of sound may do well in the contest this year, rather then the proggy tribally sound of the past couple years.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AlanS

undergroundhouse.net

get your deep house fix.

Yes Oscar's normal style is tech house....but since he oepned the nights for many other headliners in the past couple years he had to curve his style to deep-tech and deep house.

Deep house to me would be Demarkis, JT Donaldson, Jay-J, Migs, Ben Watt, Glenn Underground etc. But there are so many variations of deep house lately and house in general that I always ask what someone's perception may be of the genre. A lot of people classify people like DJ Heather, Brett Johnson, Lawchair Generals and Swirlpeople as deep house just because they play a more underground and less mainstream style of house. People have told me that I play deep house too...but to me I play funky jacking house just as I would say about Heather, Johnson, LCG and Swrilpeople. I feel the music we play allows us to be more flexible to dip into the deeper realms and also allows us to be able to come up even more harder than our usual style if the vibe is right.

what chance do you think Deep house or even Soulful dj will have to win the contest? I ask because that type of house might be hard to win if the final is at Space.

Marcus, I think primarily it will be first judged on technical ability in the first couple of rounds and then it is up to the finalists to curve their style to fit the venue, vibe and crowd just he/she would have to do any night they would play. I am still on the fence about entering, but I will say IMO I have improved 110% since last year and hopefully this time I can give myself enough time to get a demo in....you know my situation and recording...still haven't go it set-up at my house and I hate to burden friends, but I think I am getting what I need to get it straight at my house and this time won't have to record it a day before the deadline.

Personally, I think charisma behind the decks and track selection plays a much more important role here then technical ability. Sure, you have to know how to mix and not wreck all over the place, but its not a battle contest, so basic beatmatching and eqing skills should do.

Also, you know you are more that welcome to at my place ANYTIME to record your demos. Just let me know!

Guest AlanS

deep & sexy has my vote !

yo XL, what going down clown ?

just clowning around town :P

it would be great if you were a judge this year!

Guest lyrik

so whats up .. wheres the regulations, venues prizes etc ...

;D

I heard that Colombians aren't going to be allowed to enter this year.

Guest lyrik

The hairpiece can't show any sign of shifting. If it does, your disqualafied.

I also heard we had to spin in front of a hip-hop crowd.

Super glue! Hip-Hop crowds are great...bring em on I have enough boots for em.... I'll just have to wear my T-shirt...

On the front it sez:

"Do I Play Hip-Hop?"

On the back it sez :

"NO!"

That way when I am facing the crowd they can read it as I play and when I turn around to dig in my records...they know the answer to the most retarded question house music DJs can be asked when playing.

Guest JMT

I plan on entering this years contest. I am a huge fan on fast beats so I mix lots of psytrance and techno. I don't plan on winning as much as I plan on participating.

thats the spirit, man!

I plan on entering this years contest. I am a huge fan on fast beats so I mix lots of psytrance and techno. I don't plan on winning as much as I plan on participating.

best post in this whole thread !! rock on dude !! 8)

Guest Adam Singer

my jockey has been practicing all year...i believe he is now ready to conquer all :)

yes, he shall be a force to reckon with!

Guest lyrik

So is there any updates as to when the contest will begin? Thanks!

Ease back prob in a couple weeks. I am already betting that you wil make it to the finals. Eric even though trance isn't my thing...you do it very well and technically proficient to boot!

So is there any updates as to when the contest will begin? Thanks!

Ease back prob in a couple weeks. I am already betting that you wil make it to the finals. Eric even though trance isn't my thing...you do it very well and technically proficient to boot!

you are the one that i respect most on this board ... admitting that another genre thats not your things dj is great !! you rock lyric

Guest DJTeKWReK

Why can't we just come out a spin what we want? I spin a mix of Dirty House, Techno and Breaks, and Freestyle Rmx when the crowd will accept it. Dude, I don't see Timo Maas gettin ripped for his sets that are the same way! We should be able to show what OUR style is all about, not what a contest wants our style to be. thats's what makes a DJ hot, his individuality in the music!