Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lance makes history

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

this is one of the greatest athletic acheivements you will see in your lifetime.

CYCLING_TOUR_DE_FRANCE.sff_TDF102_20040725092534.jpg

PARIS (AP) - Lance Armstrong rode into history Sunday by winning the Tour de France for a record sixth time, an achievement that confirmed him as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. His sixth crown in six dominant years elevated Armstrong above four champions who won five times....

Guest JMT

yep he has been spit on and his hotel room almost ransacked. he had to have 3 bodyguards.

ive said it before and ill say it again. the french suck.

but we know who got the last laugh....

Guest durrtylexx

Those French Fegs were booing him..Spinless a-holes..Lance is an inspiration to all.A living legend.

Guest obby

Live Strong !!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Armstrong and other positive role models like him.

and to the haters:

Don't hate the player. Hate the game!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bcnjunkie

Shows the moral character of the "refined" French ! It's all show, if it came down to it, if it came time to scrap, that little baguette would be begging "please don't hurt me Mr. Armstrong" waving a white flag

Guest saintjohn

i remember being in paris the year before lance won his first tour de france. deb and i had been following the news while we were staying there (the continuous live television coverage was pretty cool), and we actually went to see the riders make their final trek into the city itself. the european mood was completely different then. the french, in particular, were disgusted with (and embarrassed by) the doping scandal that had plagued the event that particular year, and parisians seemed flattered that american tourists would still take an interest in the tour.

anyway, we were jammed up against the barricades, watching the riders go by, elbow to elbow with cycling fans of various nationalities and ethnicities. people were loudly cheering all of the contestants, regardless of their individual favorites, because simply finishing the event is an impressive accomplishment. being in that crowd, united in celebration, was an experience that i'll never forget, and an experience that i doubt will ever be repeated.

there are, i know, many french people who feel that lance has restored both drama and dignity to the tour de france. unfortunately, their quiet admiration is overshadowed by the boorish antics of petty, jealous, anti-american "cycling hooligans." at least lance maintained his composure and showed them how a true champion acts.

Guest obby

Well said!!!!!!

But then again I could understand why the French dislike us even more now.

Three words:

Oil For Food

;D

Guest bcnjunkie

The French have never liked us ! no matter how much civilized they may act in front of you, inside they truly hate us. The skii comitte fot the winter olympics had only attrocious things to say about americans, they thought I didn't speak french and understood them perfectly !, how awful. The endless, we have no culture, USA is baby, americans need to be educated, France is much better country, American don't know how to eat, USA is so behind on every thing... blah blah blah (anyone that heard him would think in USA people are living in the dark ages) and absolutely NO MANNERS. I couldn't believe this was an OLYMPIC COMITTEE. If these are ambassadors of France are supposedly educated, can you imagine non highly educated people !, 12 years it took me to realize that French people are awful, no class people with no manners

Guest endymion

12 years it took me to realize that French people are awful, no class people with no manners

It took me about 30 years to realize that people are pretty much the same everywhere no matter what gender, color or nationality. Sorting them into bins based on any of those criteria is like phrenology, doesn't work. If the Tour de France happened in the mountains in West Virginia then there would be rednecks out there rolling beer kegs in the way of the French cyclists.

Guest shannon_coolj.

12 years it took me to realize that French people are awful, no class people with no manners

It took me about 30 years to realize that people are pretty much the same everywhere no matter what gender, color or nationality. Sorting them into bins based on any of those criteria is like phrenology, doesn't work. If the Tour de France happened in the mountains in West Virginia then there would be rednecks out there rolling beer kegs in the way of the French cyclists.

lol...phrenology...

i can't believe you know about that

although, you do know that parts of phrenology were proven true by scientists...even though i think it's probably just a coincidence.

Guest bcnjunkie

for the most part I would agree, however this wasn't in the mountains, it was in Paris (a city that supposedly evokes refinement and etiquette).

People are people no matter where you go, this is true. I love to travel and loved everywhere I have been. But It's only the french that I have heard speak so degrading and with such hate for others. Again the best example I can give you (and I can give you many) is that olympic comittee that we catered for, not mountain farmers, not southern gypsies, AN OLYMPIC COMITTEEE. These people should exude civility, and quite the opposite they had bad etiquette, no manners, rude, and to a point insulting, top that with an insatiable desire to talk garbage about the USA. I couldn't believe the stuff they were saying in french. It wasn't just one of them, it was all of them.

Guest endymion

Some of you are forgetting how openly hostile Americans were to France and French people recently. Remember "freedom fries"? (and "freedom dressing", and "freedom bread", and for desert, Peru!) The US ran an organized, sustained campaign to call them pussies. Then right after that a bunch of Americans showed up and demanded a big thank-you for WWII, since of course we're not pussies but they were for getting overrun by the Nazis. Then this guy who is clearly no pussy shows up to crush them yet again on their home turf with his bicycle. We alienated a whole country, we can't be too surprised if they show some resentment at this point. They really would be pussies if they just acted like none of that happened.

Shannon, the big bulges in the back of my skull might be useful after all?

Guest bcnjunkie

Some of you are forgetting how openly hostile Americans were to France and French people recently. Remember "freedom fries"? (and "freedom dressing", and "freedom bread", and for desert, Peru!) The US ran an organized, sustained campaign to call them pussies. Then right after that a bunch of Americans showed up and demanded a big thank-you for WWII, since of course we're not pussies but they were for getting overrun by the Nazis. Then this guy who is clearly no pussy shows up to crush them yet again on their home turf with his bicycle. We alienated a whole country, we can't be too surprised if they show some resentment at this point. They really would be pussies if they just acted like none of that happened.

Did you see the guy that came up with freedom fries ?, he was an idiot. Freedom fries is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I understand what you're saying, however, most well educated American people I speak with give merit to France for it's good things (I still tell my friends you have to see Paris once, It truly is a grand city). It doesn't work the same with the french, the more educated they are the more arrogant they are and the more they hate the US. I never lived in the countryside, I lived in Paris. In fact I lived in the heart of Paris and dealt with city people. I spent a lot of time in the countryside though, and they are the samw. They truly are horrible, unrefined, rude, and all around un-pleasant !. I haven't had one group that has been civilized (and we've done tons of parties for french people and organizations and I'm talking consular parties and respected organizations. ALL RUDE... rephrase THE EPITOME OF RUDE AND CLASSLESS). The difference when we work for dutch or Italian or British or Spaniards (except Julio Iglesias daughter who was horrible) is worlds appart. The dutch consular parties are so much more refined and people act so civilized. Again, of all the languages I could have learned, hell for what I paid in school in France I could have probaly learned Japanese or some interesting language but no. Trust me the French really suck and americans are more well rounded people (I mean educated Americans).

Guest guyman1966

I guess you don't remember the Anti-American chants the french yelled during the important Regan years. The Freedom Fries response was somthing they've had brewing for many years. I've been avoiding french products most of my life. Even before it became popular here. I'm a student of history. The French can kiss my ass (and I'll shave the spot).

Guest endymion

Okay so as I was saying: if there is all of this open hostility then why is anybody surprised at what happened to Lance?

Guest guyman1966

Not for nothing... but are you American? I thought you were from Spain? I only ask because if you are not from the USA, maybe that is why they were nice to you over there.

I've met quite a few frenchmen in my life. None have ever impressed me.

Not for nothing... but are you American? I thought you were from Spain? I only ask because if you are not from the USA, maybe that is why they were nice to you over there.

I tried to modify my post but deleted it by accident... :-[

anyway, im not from Spain, however I've spent a lot of time in Europe -- and just dont find the French to be as nasty as everyone here presumes they are. The vast majority of people in the US base their opinions on what they read or see in the media.

Yes, French people are often arrogant, snotty and pretentious. Umm last time I checked we were kinda arrogant and snotty as well. If anything, y'all are ironically being critical of traits that are predominant in our society too! Even more so, actually.

Guest guyman1966

Yes, French people are often arrogant, snotty and pretentious. Umm last time I checked we were kinda arrogant and snotty as well. If anything, y'all are ironically being critical of traits that are predominant in our society too! Even more so, actually.

But we can be arrogant and snotty. We've saved the world countless times.

But we can be arrogant and snotty. We've saved the world countless times.

that's exactly the mindset that infuriates the entire world...we need to be more humble with that and not throw it in people's faces...it's like when the mafia does someone a favor and then holds it over someone's head forerver--- what we did for the world was our inherent duty as an uber-powerful people...both militarily and spiritually. We cant just expect everyone to do what we say because we saved their grandparent's lives.

Come on, you cant really stand behind this statement you made.

Guest endymion

All we have here is a couple of American chauvanists demonstrating why these French people hate us. Then we act all surprised and call them names. Classic.

Fundamental inability to empathize with another person. See also: "character flaw".

Guest bcnjunkie

I tried to modify my post but deleted it by accident... :-[

anyway, im not from Spain, however I've spent a lot of time in Europe -- and just dont find the French to be as nasty as everyone here presumes they are. The vast majority of people in the US base their opinions on what they read or see in the media.

I base my opinion not on what i read or see in the media, I base it on personal contact for the last 12 years with the french. Business, friendship, relationships and general close contact. Apples to apples, well educated Americans are by far more sensible and civilized than well educted french. They hvae a chip on their shoulder about everything. They aren't nice people. I've met a myriad of french, very few (I can count with one hand) are worth anything. I work with them closely here, the worse by far ! I hate to categorize people and truly belive in equality. For years I always stood up for the french until finally I took the blindfold off and realized what they were about. The french are the most selfish culture in the world and probably the most racist !