Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ booth etiquette

V. Barbarino

ever see the booth for a big name club in NYC then compare it to miami?

Miami's booths are like disney land with every loser possible hanging out...

If you have the status to get in the booth, have the etiquette to leave the booth after saying hi...

I come up, I say hi, then i hit the road back to vip....

In NYC NO ONE GETS IN THE BOOTH!!!! NO ONE!!!!!

Guest web_norah

crobar NY lets people in

Arc and Vinyl were the biggest and loudest NO

at least on Fridays.

no idea on Jr's i presume it is a big no-no

Morillo's at Discoteque, YES you just need to have friends that work at Subliminal or be friends of Rob Fernandez

Spirit -- thats a pseudo booth but people hang out there.

Avalon - dont know, dont care

Guest demo909

I have to agree with you...

I play at lot of gigs out of town at major clubs and you do not see people hang'n in the booth at all unless they are the promoter or the light guy.

Miami peeps want to be too cool for school and get off on standing in the booth....I never get that

Unless it's your party or you are a promoter or photographer or something of the like......stand out on the floor and enjoy the music.....besides the music on a main floor sounds ten times better then in a booth

Guest web_norah

Demo is right though, hanging out all night posing is a big and loud no almost everywhere else....you go say hello (if you really know the DJ) or else you get tossed out, unless you're photographing or involved in the event in some capacity.

and almost every time the entrance is completely blocked out [the way DT has it 100% of the time he plays]

Guest lyrik

That's why I have a shirt that says fuck off I'm mixing.

8)

I'm too big and sexy for any more people other than me to be in the booth. Plus I'll probably end up hip checking people into the monitor or out of the booth once I start spinning.

Guest trancelator

Yeah, people with no affiliation to the event, the press or that don't know the dj have no business being in there. It's f'ing idiotic.

Guest pod

I drop in, do my thing, schmooze with the people in there, and drop out. I'm usually never in the booth for more than a half hour or so at a stretch.

Guest web_norah

for once this isnt a thread about someone banging "someone" and who's the lamest DJ or a showdown between Vanbureen and his issues with NV. ::)

Guest LeVeL

Yeah I agree, if you dont have any type of affiliation with the DJ or Club then get the fuck out of the booth. You got too many people in the DJ booth here in Miami. Its weird its just the same way people act when they try to get on T.V., they make themselves stand there all night for they can be seen. Its like if you were a Dj groupie or something....if I was a DJ I would tell everybody to get out of the booth and enjoy the sound from the floor.

Guest LeVeL

only dj booth i like to stay in myself is at space. or edgar at crobar mostly cuz its slammed on dance floor for space and or behind the booth at crobar.

Bling stop being a groupie and show yourself out of the Dj Booth..lol :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

I like it when people are in the booth with me if the space allows for it. You can stand behind me or sit on a bench or something next to me. But don't block the monitors or the path to my record bag or be in the range where my arms have to move to do anything like adjust the mixer or something. Also don't talk to me to much while in the booth or ask me to play this or that unless it's a song you know that I love to play then I'll play it for you...I like educated people in the booth with me that know what they're doing in the booth.....

If you come up to the booth while I'm playing don't do these things....

1) Ask me to play hip Hop

2) Ask me to play something by Paul Oakenfeld

3) Ask me to make the music go faster

4) Ask me if you can mix one of my records which is the worst request that someone can make!!!!!

Guest bcnjunkie

ever see the booth for a big name club in NYC then compare it to miami?

Miami's booths are like disney land with every loser possible hanging out...

If you have the status to get in the booth, have the etiquette to leave the booth after saying hi...

I come up, I say hi, then i hit the road back to vip....

In NYC NO ONE GETS IN THE BOOTH!!!! NO ONE!!!!!

you have obviously never seen Morillo spin at discotheque or pacha (where it's even more strict than NYC)

Guest klit

I don't know about this one. I like to actually follow what the dj is doing when its somebody like zabiela playing, but most times don't really care. I think it adds to the atmosphere when u can see guys like oscar g reworking a track or zabiela or morillo messing around with the pioneers. The thing I don't like is to be inside the booth to have to see that cause I think the booth should be just for the dj to be inside.

Solution dj booths at same level of crowd where people can actually see what the guy is doing but giving him his privacy inside the booth. Dj booths like crobar also work where you can stand behind the booth watching whats going on.

Guest Ariel

I agree with that, crobars booth is cool for the people who like to see what the DJ is doing and it has its privacy for the DJ.