Clubplanet Nightlife Community

my plan to save club and rave culture

Guest HangTheDJ

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest slamminshaun

my plan is nation-wide. in cities where there is a booming scene there is no work to be done. forget the words "club" and "rave." i'm talking about the "electronic music scene," and all of this falls under the same umbrella. most big-name dj's spin at raves, and at clubs.

in san fran, there is an organization "san francisco late night coalition (www.sflnc.com)" because their club scene is threatened. in new york, giuliani has been raining hell on clubs, so "clubbers" are affected as well.

Dude, Giuliani hasn't been the mayor of NYC in almost three years. He's been a speaker nationwide since then, making appearances on talk shows and shit like that. I think you need to quit fartin' around with people who will never go to a rave, and visit teenage message boards instead. I don't mean that rudely, but constructively. Take a poll on any teenage message board....What music is not good to party to? See how many respondents put "electronic music". That reason alone, will show you why your plan won't work. It's all about the "yo yo yo, jigga what, holla at yo boy, playa...sheeeeeet, what, you lookin at my girl, I bust a cap in dat ass...whoodi whoooo" Face it, this is teenage culture, and electronica has no place in it.

Guest slamminshaun

The CoolJunkies, by general consensus, hereby declare the rave thing "Over".

TechJunkie, how is it that we agree so much in the Miami Junkies forum? 8) I say we vote this subject away to its grave!!

[glow=red,2,300]Rave to the Grave 2004[/glow]

Guest coach

Oh my aching head. Okay, Hang, after reading this all, I think the main issue is that you really do not understand human nature. You think all people are like you. Don't bother disagreeing with me, because the fact that you don't realize it is part of the problem.

Please understand that I am on your side. I really am. I would love to see a revival in the electronic music scene. And I am pretty darn anti-drug. Never done it, never will, think it is a totally silly thing to do. However, that does not change any of the hard facts.

Here is the main one. To get a bunch of people out to a non-club show, especially if you are zealously anti-drug, you need a lot (A LOT) of money. We're talking tens, or more likely hundreds, of thousands of dollars. Where are you getting this money? A bank? HAH! VCs? Oh please! A bunch of broke-ass, tripped out ravers? Yeah, right. That's your first problem.

The other one is this, and this is one reason why I say you don't understand human nature, nobody, but nobody in the law enforcement, parental, or governmental groups will do anything to help you revive the "rave" or even the "electronic music" culture. WHY WOULD THEY???? You tell me what is in it for them? You go to them and tell them you are doing a drug-free event and are promoting anti-drugs, what the fuck do they care? They KNOW how to reduce drug use, just close down all raves (and clubs, and electronic music of any type).

Think about it, what is easier for them? Working with you to develop a plan to present drug-free electronic music events, or just close you down? Which is easier? Think about it. Your idea has NO merit to them.

You say you want to raise money for anti-drug funds? BFG! If they want to, they can raise all the money they want, without your nasty bleeping music (from their point of view). Instead of working with you promoting a music type that they HATE, they could be spending their time doing a bake sale at their church, or an auction at the local country club, or a dinner at the mayoral mansion. Why should they help you promote electronic music when there are so many other ways they could raise the same money?

I do wish you all the luck and hope that you emerge from this relatively unscathed, but I really caution you to proceed carefully. Be sure that you have all of the proper safeguards in place legally and financially so that IF this does go badly, you do not ruin your reputation, your financial situation, or end up in jail. I say this from very direct experience. I was once an exuberant entrepreneur. I could not see how my plans would fail, despite many more experienced people telling me I was mistaken. I ended up very much in debt and disappointing a lot of people. And from that experience, I realize that the likelihood of any of us discouraging you is very slim, but I hope that you will at least be wise enough to take the precautions available to you to safeguard yourself. Incorporate. Get everything in writing. Make sure your financing is solid. Use real contracts. Hire a CPA. Hire a lawyer. And don't make wild claims that you cannot back up.

Welp, if you're looking for info on Florida's ravescene, CoolJunkie definitely ain't the place for it. This site is pretty well-renowned as being a diehard clubber's paradise. If it's underground in the slightest, CoolJunkie generally has little interest in it - or even knowledge of it, in most cases. (No offense to everyone here on CoolJunkie, but it's a fact... CoolJunkie's a HELL of a kickass resource, but going here for info on the underground events is like going to a gourmet French restaurant hoping to get a nice fat cheeseburger with a side of fries. Just ain't the right place to go.)

If you or anyone else out there is looking for info on the Florida ravescene, there are literally **TONS** of sites out there that specialize in raves and other underground parties in & around the Florida state area.

To name a few: FloridaRaves.org - FloridaBreaks.org - SFL.8up.com (for South Florida) & Rave.8up.com (for Central Florida - mostly Tampa & Orlando) - FloridaDnB.com - RaveFree.net - OneSceneUnited.com - EuphoriaProject.org - RingmasterProductions.com ... these are just a few of the HUNDREDS of websites and forums out there that are devoted to seeing the Florida ravescene not just survive, but thrive.

Personally, I run the production company known as the Euphoria Project, and our mission is a rather unique one - rather than pretend the other segments of our scene don't exist, we're trying to unite all of them in a balanced common central ground. Our vision is a scene where ANYONE is welcome, whether it's a raver, clubber, b-boy, performance artist, dancer, glowstringer, oldschooler, nuskooler, goth, industrialist, trancer, technohead, junglist, what-have-you.

It's a tough job but we've been around for three and a half years now and have made very solid headway within our local scene (Miami and Fort Lauderdale) and have united DOZENS of local promoters and production companies along with our cause to help improve our scene.

So no... it's not dead, not by a long shot. It's just mostly underground, where the scene's ALWAYS been. Unless you know the proper places to look, you could stumble around for months never knowing there are constant parties going on. (This weekend alone - the 22nd thru 24th - there are LITERALLY 20 different parties going on in Dade & Broward county... that's like 6-8 a night. Not bad for a so-called DEAD SCENE!)

For two FANTASTIC resources for the Florida ravescene, check these two sites:

1) Florida Raves linklist - pretty much the ultimate resource for anyone looking for Florida Rave info: http://www.EuphoriaProject.org/links.html

2) SFL-8up Upcoming Events calendar - this site lists pretty much EVERY SINGLE upcoming underground event in the area. A few promoters choose not to even list on this forum, but most of them do just because pretty much EVERYONE in the local scene checks it: http://8up.com/phpbb/index.php?sid=e5eac7347f8e0415e4cbdd84c4ee610e

Hope this was helpful & illuminating...

lateron

Mitch =O )

Guest pod

If I hear the word rave one more time I'm gonna shoot someone.

That's probably why rave culture and I don't get along.

I applaud EuphoriaProject's efforts to bring forth a valid response to the 'raves are dead' statement.

However, I still have to point out that some of the events he mentions do take place in clubs and lounges, even if they are not 'mainstream club-oriented'.

That, and again, how many of these twenty or so events this weekend outside of clubs have the proper permits, facilities, and so forth, and even if they do, will it be up to snuff anyway? Will I leave with a splitting headache from the bargain-basement JBL-on-a-stick soundsystem, will I trip over some passed out kid and break my arm?

:o

Guest endymion

CoolJunkie's a HELL of a kickass resource, but going here for info on the underground events is like going to a gourmet French restaurant hoping to get a nice fat cheeseburger with a side of fries.

Hi Mitch! Thanks so much for being so helpful and diplomatic about that, we have been saying some rude things about raves lately. Really appreciate you posting all of that information for anybody who might be interested, everybody has their thing.

If I hear the word rave one more time I'm gonna shoot someone.

That's probably why rave culture and I don't get along.

I applaud EuphoriaProject's efforts to bring forth a valid response to the 'raves are dead' statement.

However, I still have to point out that some of the events he mentions do take place in clubs and lounges, even if they are not 'mainstream club-oriented'.

That, and again, how many of these twenty or so events this weekend outside of clubs have the proper permits, facilities, and so forth, and even if they do, will it be up to snuff anyway? Will I leave with a splitting headache from the bargain-basement JBL-on-a-stick soundsystem, will I trip over some passed out kid and break my arm?

(rave rave rave rave rave! heheheh I love tempting fate)

Those are all pretty valid points, so I'll address each of em:

1) Yes, many of them do take place in clubs and lounges. Many of them also take place in unusual or atypical venues such as dance halls, parks, warehouses, skate parks, old supermarkets, restaurants, and even (in our case) a cybercafe. If you're looking STRICTLY for club events, then yeah, mainstream's the way to go. But if you like variety, and you like going to places never REALLY knowing what to expect... then raves are a unique choice.

2) These days, MOST of the raves (down here at least) are legal - to some degree. The days where we were able to throw completely un-permited warehouse parties and get away with it are LONG gone. Last "true" warehouse party I saw was about two years ago... nowadays, most production companies throw their parties at legal clubs & lounges, where they're already properly permited to throw such events. In other cases, the promoter skirts the issue by throwing large daytime park parties (which are hugely successful & popular in the rave scene). Local promoter Resinated Plates has made a big name for their ongoing series of "Sundance" park parties... as far as I know they don't get any permits, just throw their party and hope for the best. Haven't had a single problem at these events yet, either.

In my company's case, we're completely legal and every event we throw is either at a legal venue, or we'll get the permits necessary to make it legal. The cities down here have come a long way and as long as you don't come out and say "I'm throwing a rave" then you'll generally get your permit. You just have to be creative with the descriptive process; due to the government's persecution of the underground scene, the word "RAVE" has a very negative connotation to most public officials.

3) And no, not every ravescene event has a totally kickass sound system. Since the scene's still not totally back up to what it was in '96-2000 (but is steadily improving) there are still plenty of events that don't generate a profit. But this has never been a scene (at least here in Florida) where promoters get rich throwing raves. You've got to have a passion for it, and DEFINITELY need dedication... Not every promoter has a heavy investor behind them willing to sacrifice a ton of cash in order to help the scene out. Thus, not every promoter can afford to rent out heavy-duty sound systems in order to rock the crowd.

Then again, that's one of the other things I love about the underground scene... it's patchwork quality, where (as I said before) you never REALLY know what you're going to get from event to event. I love that whole rigged feeling to a place, as long as you feel safe, not like the whole electrical system's going to overload at any minute and kill everyone in the venue. Parties like that are rare... but I think it's fun having the whole underground thing going on. It's lot more "REAL" to me than the glitzy glamorous flashy club scene. Reminds me of the roots of the club scene, just when raves started coming out, back in the mid to late 80s and early 90s, when South Beach clubs like the Kitchen and the Institute got their start... you never knew what to expect, everything was patchwork and rushed together and very tenuous, uncertain. It was fun. :)

lateron

Mitch

PS: Sorry for the rambling, semi-incoherent mess of this message... my thoughts are nowhere near as orderly now as they were when I posted that first msg. Then again, I was wide awake then - now I'm working on 2 1/2 hrs sleep, and need some more still. G'nite :) (snore)

Guest DiscJockeyJoey

the rave scene is alive and well in alot of other cities, its just miami dont know how to party without their trendy $200.00 shirts fashionable sunglasses at night. (to keep track of the visions in your eyes?) 8)

Guest aj2234

dec 26th candyland 9 at nocturnal

icey

babyanne

rabbit in the moon dj set

knowledge magazine 10 years of drum + bass tour :

craze

juju

mc sharpness

stryke

jimmy t

sean bauzay

merlyn

ashrock

dbj

influx datum

storm

trevor rockwell

wendel

dublex

danny bled

engineer

circle k

mc duchess

plus a bunch more!

Guest jbit

Bump the candyland raves, I went to the first one way back in the day. Although im entirely too old now to be hanging out with a bunch of beaned out kids, im all for the scene continuing in what ever form it decides to take; in a club or in someones bathroom if thats what it takes.

I had some of the best times of my life at those parties and far be it from me to tell someone that they shouldn't do the same, altough its an uphill battle.

Guest HangTheDJ

so apparently there is hope, and there are people who think like i do. i SINCERELY apologize to all the haters out there, but i'm just gonna have to start listening to those who don't.

so apparently there is hope, and there are people who think like i do. i SINCERELY apologize to all the haters out there, but i'm just gonna have to start listening to those who don't.

Anywhere in life, no matter where you go, what you do, or who you see, there'll ALWAYS BE HATERS... ya gotta do your best to ignore them, and do what in your heart you know is right.

As someone else mentioned, it may be an uphill battle - most of them are - but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. :)

I think the only way this community, the entire society around it, and even our entire planet will truly thrive is to put aside all the bullshit differences, and unite because of the similarities. A bit naive perhaps, but this is my life's work.

lateron

Mitch

Guest endymion

If you can't address the basic fundamental safety concerns of your audience then you are acting irresponsibly. If you don't even spring for standby EMS at an event miles from a hospital where you know that young unsupervised kids will be doing hard drugs then maybe government is correct in trying as hard as possible to shut you down.

Jeese I have gotten old. Somebody kill me before I become a cog in The Man's machine.

Oh. Wait. Never mind...

Guest pod

What Techjunkie said.

Oh, and stop saying rave. Your plan to save rave and club culture should include a name change. Rave connotates this:

37.jpg

Call it a festival or something.

Either that or just start a fucking club night already...You can enjoy such sights as this:

012.jpg

image002.jpg

043.jpg

023.jpg

Get my drift? Motley Crüe was right.

Guest coach

If you can't address the basic fundamental safety concerns of your audience then you are acting irresponsibly. If you don't even spring for standby EMS at an event miles from a hospital where you know that young unsupervised kids will be doing hard drugs then maybe government is correct in trying as hard as possible to shut you down.

Jeese I have gotten old. Somebody kill me before I become a cog in The Man's machine.

Oh. Wait. Never mind...

I think you'd be surprised. All of the electronic music festivals that I have attended or heard about have had EMS service on-hand, or, in the case of city-based events, as near as the local hospital. Things are a LOT more responsible these days, unlike the so-called good-old-days.