Clubplanet Nightlife Community

When did SPACE jump the shark?

Guest sobe2004

Guest tres-b

There was a Spacefest in 2001. I thought that is what you were referring to.

And Coach, you're probably right. Party-heads go to Space, music heads stay home and bitch all night.

Well said.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cosmigonon

Sobe, what exactly is it that you take issue with in regards to Space?

Not really an issue . . . just like a debate . . . I think an argument can be made that Mansion is the current #1 club in Miami currently . . .

You're not making any sense buddy... ???

Guest coach

And Coach, you're probably right. Party-heads go to Space, music heads stay home and bitch all night.

BWA-HA-HA-HAAA! Spot on, there POD!

Seriously, though, I'm not saying that Space does not attract a music crowd, I just don't think there is that big of a music oriented fan-base. The vast majority of America just follows whatever "everybody" else is doing. But there is definitely different different target markets between the 2 clubs, which is both sensible on their part and a good thing for the clubbing public.

Guest sobe2004

I was referring to the Spacefest this year that was going to go up against Ultra . . . .

Guest vegasguy25

vegas clubs charge more per bottle on average. bottle of belvedere $400.

I have never gotten bottle service in Miami, but I can vouch for the cost of bottle service at clubs here in Vegas. People pay it though, as the hottest clubs here regularly sell out their tables.

Guest LeVeL

I have never gotten bottle service in Miami, but I can vouch for the cost of bottle service at clubs here in Vegas. People pay it though, as the hottest clubs here regularly sell out their tables.

Because the Clubs in Vegas are Tourist Driven...here in Miami we wont pay that much unless its a special event. Most of the partiers in Miami are made up of the locals. Which is different of what you can say of the Clubs in the Strip which are majorly is driven by the tourist.

You can charge a Tourist whatever because they are there to spend and have a good time.

Seriously, though, I'm not saying that Space does not attract a music crowd, I just don't think there is that big of a music oriented fan-base. The vast majority of America just follows whatever "everybody" else is doing. But there is definitely different different target markets between the 2 clubs, which is both sensible on their part and a good thing for the clubbing public.

i would have to agree w/ coach...was at space for both major events and u can deff tell on the crowd if they r really music oriented or just following everyone else...sometimes its not good to judge, but deep down no one really gives a fuck when it all comes down to "just having a good time".

I went to the old space many times, yea it was a nice cool place...a quarter of the ppl that i know in miami started from going to fri/sat night at old space, ect...but most of them are not sitting infront of the computer and crying bout how the old patio is so much better.

Please do yourself a favor and MOVE ON...i don't wanna hear another PUSSY cry bout how old patio/space is better. I can think of all the good clubs around the country like sf in nyc, zei club in dc, buzz/nations in dc, ect ect and cry/complain bout how is just isnt the same.

Guest Cosmigonon

i would have to agree w/ coach...was at space for both major events and u can deff tell on the crowd if they r really music oriented or just following everyone else...sometimes its not good to judge, but deep down no one really gives a fuck when it all comes down to "just having a good time".

I went to the old space many times, yea it was a nice cool place...a quarter of the ppl that i know in miami started from going to fri/sat night at old space, ect...but most of them are not sitting infront of the computer and crying bout how the old patio is so much better.

Please do yourself a favor and MOVE ON...i don't wanna hear another PUSSY cry bout how old patio/space is better. I can think of all the good clubs around the country like sf in nyc, zei club in dc, buzz/nations in dc, ect ect and cry/complain bout how is just isnt the same.

Ditto. Since when did the reason to go out to a club switched from "having fun" to "trainspott all night and bitch cause the dj played the same track twice, bla, bla, bla..."?

Guest coach

And I'm gonna have to return the favor and agree w/ A4T here. I am SO sick of hearing people cry about how it was so much better back when. Do that shit when you're 80 (you'll still be wrong, but who will care by then). If it was so much better, how come it ain't like that now? Are all the smart partiers dead or what? In 10 years, people will be reminiscing about how good it was in 2005, and so on, and so on. Life was always better when you were younger and could party 48 hours straight without batting an eye. Maybe it's not the clubs that are to blame that you enjoy the nightlife less.

Guest pod

This is true.

You know what? I had a blast when I really got into this scene in 1998.

It's 2005 now and I still have a lot of fun. Is it different? Yeah totally. Do I care? Not that much. If anything I keep in a mental file all the parties, DJs and concepts I've seen, and have seen what works and what doesn't. I'll apply this knowledge somewhere down the line.

Guest ericac

Space jumped the shark?

Yeah yeah I know I'm Space's "attorney" and all, but jump the shark means:

"a term to describe a moment when somethin that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity."

Last time I checked, Space has thousands of people in the door every weekend. If that isn't popular I don't know what is.

They might not book "your" DJs, but that doesn't mean they aren't popular. Everything's subjective.

You know, you can say you don't like Space and be done with it.

Jumping the shark From Wikipedia:

"Jumping the shark is a metaphor used by US television critics since the 1990s. The phrase, popularized by Jon Hein on his web site www.jumptheshark.com, is used to describe the moment when a television show or similar episodic medium is in retrospect judged to have passed its "peak" and shows a noticeable decline in quality. Most "jump the shark" moments are a noticeable change in the show, such as a main cast member leaving or a change in setting, which are subsequently quoted as the marker point signifying when the show's decline started. Frequently "jump the shark" is used to describe a series that has undergone drastic changes as a result of a ratings decline that has already occured, especially when the changes do little to halt or reverse this decline. Hein also uses the "jumping the shark" concept to describe other areas of pop culture, such as music and celebrities, for whom a drastic change was the beginning of the end."

POD - compare your pictures from old and new and I think that you would notice the difference. Also, while SPACE still does HUGE numbers, clubs in Vegas like RAIN bring in more $$$.

I just think that Space has peaked and is in its decline.

BTW - my vote is for moving into the new location. The old patio ruled.

granted the old patio ruled BUT, if u r still not over it then dont go!!

how often do u go to the "new" patio? just like any club some nights (or days) are better then others. if u r referring to last holiday weekend well, what do u expect...morillo friday followed by noc., sat james zabiela, some saved themselves for deep dish om snday, nikki beach was anticipated for tenaglia, lawler and friends.

give us all a chance to recovery probably by next weekend and then make a comment.

space is NOT declining there are too many LOYAL fans 8)

• 1 month later...
Guest sobe2004

Some options:

1. Closing party fiasco

2. Moving the DJ booth to its current location on the patio

3. Moving into its new/current location

4. OG no longer weekly

5. Canning Edgar

6. Roland leaving

7. DT no longer a quarterly resident

8. Lawler gone

9. SPACEFEST

Discuss . . .

Well I guess we can add #10 - Hip Hop on Friday nights . . . :-X

upcomingevents.jpg

Guest rollyp66

I have never gotten bottle service in Miami' date=' but I can vouch for the cost of bottle service at clubs here in Vegas. People pay it though, as the hottest clubs here regularly sell out their tables.

[/quote']

Because the Clubs in Vegas are Tourist Driven...here in Miami we wont pay that much unless its a special event. Most of the partiers in Miami are made up of the locals. Which is different of what you can say of the Clubs in the Strip which are majorly is driven by the tourist.

You can charge a Tourist whatever because they are there to spend and have a good time.

I have plenty of regulars that are locals that drop serious $$$ for bottles. You can't say most people there are lots of locals who pay

Guest pod

They've done hip-hop on Fridays before various times throughout the past.

Do I care? Not really. The Friday residents are friends of mine and I might just stop in once in awhile to support....plus I'm hearing rumblings of house being included on this night as well. You have hip-hop in the main room, reggaeton on the terrace, and there's this brand new third room that's nearly the size of the old main room. They're not just gonna close it off.

In the end, it doesn't affect their Saturday nights one bit. If jumping the shark means making millions and dominating the competition, well, fire up the motorcycle.

Miami isn't a music town and most likely never will be. Like I said in previous posts, here it is all about the party. Stop worrying so much about the damn music, saddle up to the bar, buy a shot or ten, dance around, take that girl home, rinse and repeat.

Guest web_norah

my favorite fiasco was the closing party

DT gets booked

then one week later Morillo gets the same party ???

they never closed.

Guest sobe2004

They've done hip-hop on Fridays before various times throughout the past.

Do I care? Not really. The Friday residents are friends of mine and I might just stop in once in awhile to support....plus I'm hearing rumblings of house being included on this night as well. You have hip-hop in the main room, reggaeton on the terrace, and there's this brand new third room that's nearly the size of the old main room. They're not just gonna close it off.

In the end, it doesn't affect their Saturday nights one bit. If jumping the shark means making millions and dominating the competition, well, fire up the motorcycle.

Miami isn't a music town and most likely never will be. Like I said in previous posts, here it is all about the party. Stop worrying so much about the damn music, saddle up to the bar, buy a shot or ten, dance around, take that girl home, rinse and repeat.

I will believe in your Friday night attendance once you post pictures of yourself and your new gangsta friends . . . I only wish I had time to search your old CP posts about hip hop . . .

I would disagree with this. I would never ever ever put house on fridays at that club... Not even in one small room... I think space is going down a slipperly slope by now having other genres.. Just how Caddy distances it's self from Chevy, Space needs to do the same with the sat house market and their friday party... Lets not turn Space into Spinickers or Club La Vela..

Guest web_norah

they'd be better off doing those one-off gay nights on Fri, i cant remember the name of the promoter but Oscar played a couple of times.

Guest LeVeL

I dont have a problem with Space playing Hip Hop on Fridays...it obviously gives the Space crowd that loves Hip Hop a home to party instead of Saturday where they crunched up in that little lounge.

STOP COMPLAINING and LETS JUST ENJOY LIFE! 8)

I dont have a problem with Space playing Hip Hop on Fridays...it obviously gives the Space crowd that loves Hip Hop a home to party instead of Saturday where they crunched up in that little lounge.

STOP COMPLAINING and LETS JUST ENJOY LIFE! 8)

fyi that lounge is not the second floor which is the same size as the down stairs main room....

Guest swirlundergrounder

^I think also that this time of the year the crowd at the clubs all get a little funky (in a bad way) as compared to the rest of the year wouldn't you all say?

Guest LeVeL

fyi that lounge is not the second floor which is the same size as the down stairs main room....

No I am talking about the side lounge downstairs.

Guest rollyp66

No I am talking about the side lounge downstairs.

It is the new VIP area for the main room