Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Should there be a CJ Miami Rock board?

V. Barbarino

Guest coach

Vaughan, just because you use computers competently and are into rock doesn't mean anyone else does.

I like prog' rock and I can use a computer competently...

On top of that I'm Asian. We yellow bastards aren't supposed to like rock...So Coach, what does that say about your statement to Vaughan saying that he's the only person who likes rock and uses a computer competently?

Shit I know of several rockers that can use a computer better than anyone here on these boards...

2 people is not a good sampling. Again, I suggest a quick websearch to back up my assertion. Way more EDM forums than rock or hip hop. I've forgotten what my point was, though.

2 people is not a good sample? Between me and Vaughan, it's a great sample. I don't know Vaughan personally but we both represent different ethnic heritage and probably are of different ages and other demographics.

How can you say that there are more EDM forums than rock forums if you don't search for rock forums on a regular basis?

So, you are saying that two is a good representation of several million? Usually, for any statistical validity, you have to have at least a measurable percantage of the total demographic population to have any meaningful results. Is this some new statistical model you are advocating?

Who says I don't search for rock forums?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swirlundergrounder

I have another statistic for you guys that should end this conversation as to which is more main stream' date=' rock or EDM.

In the year 2000 the turntable out sold the guitar for the first time as the #1 selling instrument in the world!

So for some of you people who say that EDM is not in the mainstream, then explain that statistic to me and still say that EDM is not in the mainstream!

[/quote']

Dude the turntable is not just used by the EDM Genre, its used by people who also play hip hip,rock,salsa,reggaeton,merengue,country music, event open format.

Thats statistic doesn't mean crap it you saying that the Turntable outsold the Guitar.

It means everything! The growth in sales is proportional to the EDM genre as it is to the above genres that you mentioned. So you're saying is that the growth of EDM and the number of EDM DJ's using turntables b4 CD players became popular just stood still while the number of Hip Hop (and the othe genres you mentioned) DJ's increased?

Guest pod

Dude the turntable is not just used by the EDM Genre' date=' its used by people who also play hip hip,rock,salsa,reggaeton,merengue,country music, event open format.

[/quote']

Turntable sales largely go to hip-hop/party music and dance DJs. Your top-40 mobile DJs are pretty much running CD players (not even CDJs) or just a laptop with some basic DJing software. The last wedding I went to the wedding DJ had a dual deck CD player and a laptop running iTunes. If they have turntables it is because they're serious DJs on the side. Aside from dance, hip-hop and it's derivatives, there's really no need to mix tracks.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Here's some more info for you people that still think EDM is underground and is not for the masses. You guys are still living in the early 90's wishing everything was still like the 'Storm Raves' in NYC that Frankie Bones used to throw by breaking into abandoned wherehouses.

If EDM is not for the masses and is still underground then...

...Why does the largest night club in Miami (Space) mainly cater to EDM?

..Why did DJ Rap have a Kit Kat candy bar commercial in 2000?

..Why did Dimitri From Paris, DJ at the Playboy Mansion in 2001?

...Why did McDonalds have a commercial with DJs playing house music at 5AM?

...Why do some of the worlds top DJ's make over a million US dollars a year?

....Why did Deep Dish (we all know as EDM DJs/Producers) win a grammy for their remix work last year?

And if EDM is not for the masses and is still underground..

....Then why did DJ Tiesto dj the opening ceramonies of last years Summer Olympic games in front of billions of viewers world wide??

Guest pod

If EDM is not for the masses and is still underground then...

...Why does the largest night club in Miami (Space) mainly cater to EDM?

they've got a lock on the market, realistically the only club in town that profits off of it.

..Why did DJ Rap have a Kit Kat candy bar commercial in 2000?

Cause she's hot.

..Why did Dimitri From Paris, DJ at the Playboy Mansion in 2001?

Cause he's French, and fashionable

...Why did McDonalds have a commercial with DJs playing house music at 5AM?

Huh? Man I should watch more TV

...Why do some of the worlds top DJ's make over a million US dollars a year?

Marketing

....Why did Deep Dish (we all know as EDM DJs/Producers) win a grammy for their remix work last year?

Cause they rock

And if EDM is not for the masses and is still underground..

....Then why did DJ Tiesto dj the opening ceramonies of last years Summer Olympic games in front of billions of viewers world wide??

Because he's Tiësto

Obviously a little sarcasm :)

The thing is, the examples you've mentioned are from DJs who produce and play commercially accessible dance music. I'm not an expert on musical arranging and composing, but the music by the guys and girls you've mentioned is fairly accessible. Not that it's bad, but it is definitely easy-to-digest by the masses. I remember an interview with the boys from Deep Dish a couple of years ago where they said something to the effect they like to produce tracks with a memorable hook or riff. They're successful because in my mind they've kept it to heart and produce dance music that's a saleable item. Hell, I'm a fan. They're one of the few DJ/producers I'll make time for.

Replace those names with people like LTJ Bukem, Dieselboy, etc, and then you're into the realms of stuff that's still underground.

Guest swirlundergrounder

The thing is, the examples you've mentioned are from DJs who produce and play commercially accessible dance music. I'm not an expert on musical arranging and composing, but the music by the guys and girls you've mentioned is fairly accessible. Not that it's bad, but it is definitely easy-to-digest by the masses. I remember an interview with the boys from Deep Dish a couple of years ago where they said something to the effect they like to produce tracks with a memorable hook or riff. They're successful because in my mind they've kept it to heart and produce dance music that's a saleable item. Hell, I'm a fan. They're one of the few DJ/producers I'll make time for.

Replace those names with people like LTJ Bukem, Dieselboy, etc, and then you're into the realms of stuff that's still underground.

I'm not in the mood for your sarcasm Mr Bond.. ;)LOL

Of course if you throw in the likes of Diesel Boy, LTJ Bukem etc then you are still within the realm of music that is still underground in the EDM genre. But you can also say the same thing of for the next garage band coming up that will be the next big thing in a couple of years.

There will always be aspects of every genre of music that's underground.

But what I'm saying is as a whole the genre of EDM is no longer underground like it once was.

And one more thing Mr Bond. If EDM wasn't for the masses then.....

.......why did 'Goldie' play a villian in 'Golden Eye'?? LOL

Guest pod

Cause he's a good actor? ;D

You're right though, each big genre of music out there has it's underground element, replete with kids who will turn on the artist once they make a buck or two.

Guest AlanS

Rock & Roll fans, like Hip Hop fans, mostly don't have computers.

Coach, I have been laughing about this statement for days.. LOL ;D Well I guess only two days.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Coach, I have been laughing about this statement for days.. LOL ;D Well I guess only two days.

I know Alan. Isn't your true music back grouund playing the bass guitar? LOL

Guest AlanS

Six string actually, acoustic and electric, but I've played the bass some as well.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Six string actually, acoustic and electric, but I've played the bass some as well.

I'm going to get my first bass guitar next week. Like one of them Fender starter packs at Guitar Center. I've been wanting to learn for a while now. ;D

Guest ramon

as ive said to people numerous times .. if you don't find a place to discuss something start it ... 3 years ago i couldnt find any play to talk about techno .. so i started a place 549 users and 11000 plus articles later i have a place i can call home. :)

I myself played the guitar and saxophone. I was a die hard rock fan until 1999. Ever since then, maybe one band a year catches my ear. Rock of today just isn't the same. Not saying it sucks, just not the same to me. So, why not. A rock message board here might add a little spice to things.

I say we also have a "Dirty South Forum...."

"when I smile it's like a disco ball" :P

Guest pod

I would dare to say we have a music forum for the discussion of the ins and outs of music. It isn't limited to dance music unless you guys make it as such.

If I make a rock board, then I have to make a hip-hop board, a dance board, nevermind every tom, dick, and harry is gonna ask for their sub-genre to have a seperate forum.

Guest Philip

3 years ago i couldnt find any play to talk about techno .. so i started a place 549 users and 11000 plus articles later i have a place i can call home. :)

You have a forum ramon?

Guest ramon

3 years ago i couldnt find any play to talk about techno .. so i started a place 549 users and 11000 plus articles later i have a place i can call home. :)

You have a forum ramon?

si .. its a small yet pretty tight community where we talk about the latest click pop or beep that caught our attention.

Guest Philip

You have a forum ramon?

si .. its a small yet pretty tight community where we talk about the latest click pop or beep that caught our attention.

open forum? anyone can join? if so im interested

Guest ramon

You have a forum ramon?

open forum? anyone can join? if so im interested

check your pm's i dont want to spam :P

Guest Cosmigonon

dude, we should get together and play some covers... :D

Guest swirlundergrounder

dude, we should get together and play some covers... :D

I can see you guys now. The rebirth of 'Menudo'...LOL

Guest sross

I've always said that if you get comped, you should at least get a drink or two from the bar. Even if it's water. Water is actually a huge profit for a club. They spend a nickel a bottle and then charge seven for it.

That's precisely why people don't buy drinks at club! If the clubs charged reasonable prices people would be happy to arrive early and have some drinks, rather than going to a bar or drinking at home and then going out clubbing.

Guest pod

Getting sauced beforehand has always sucked in my book. You get to the club tanked, and your energy level is already kind of sapped.

Guest Adam Singer

this board isn't really about any kind of music

most of you seem to like drama way more... ::)

to answer the question: no, because it simply wouldn't be popular