Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who can remember going to SIX FLAGS ATLANTIS!???!??!

Guest LeVeL

I went there when I was 8 years old and had one of the funnest times going to that Water park, I still cant believe they closed.

Not even that Rapids place cant compare..

Guest Electric Eel

I think lula and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago, that place was the shit! Can't believe they closed it down. Going to check out Rapids soon, we definitely need a good water park in the area

Guest synergy

Now theres a place I miss... Who remebers Incredible Universe? one of the first shops to take the place of six flags atlantis.

Guest saintjohn

Atlantis? Try Pirates World:

pwstatue_1.gif

In 1966 Pirates World, an 87 acre buccaneer themed park, opened in Dania, Florida, on the north side of Sheridan Street, east of US 1. The park, developed by Recreation Corporation of America, had only skin deep theming but it offered some great rides.

pwsky1.jpg

Best of all was the steeplechase ride, said to be the original from Coney Island. Riders straddled molded horses and hung on to a metal "bit" as their horse traversed an undulating track designed to mimic a real jumping race.

pwcrows.JPG

The Crows Nest observation tower had been the Belgian Aerial Tower at the 1964/65 New York World's Fair (it, along with the log flume, was bought second hand after the fair). From a central post four metal cages, designed to carry several standing passengers, were hung by cables. To balance the structure two would be in the air while two were being loaded on the ground, then they'd be raised/lowered simultaneously.

pwmouse.jpg

Also on hand was a Wild Mouse roller coaster, a log flume, various carnival flat rides including a paratrooper, a sky ride, some carny games, a ski-ball arcade, spiral slides, and some pretty bad (as I recall) food.

pwflume.jpg

Pirates World also got into the rock concert business, bringing in name acts as well as rowdy patrons who caused more than one scuffle with the Police.

Pirates World had been successful enough in its early years -- but then, in 1971, Walt Disney World opened and Florida tourism changed forever. Compared to the Magic Kingdom, Pirates World began to look quaint and old fashioned -- and dangerous, with concert problems developing a not entirely accurate bad reputation. By 1973 it was in bankruptcy. In 1975 it was closed.

http://www.lostparks.com/piratesw.html

South Florida amusement park musical trivia: David Bowie played Pirates World in his Ziggy Stardust days.

Guest lulamishka

I remember Six Flags Atlantis!!!! I've been talking about this place just recently!! Everytime I drive by Oakwood Plaza of whatever the hell its called, I remember what once was there... :'(

Guest Davenavarro10

Six flags was awesome! Unfortunately I only went there once, years ago. How could it be that another Waterpark hasn't been built down here in South Florida? Some of you junkies probably already heard that Disney is going to build a waterpark somewhere down south (I think in Homestead). And I also heard that the Miami Seaquarium was planning on adding a few Waterslides, which I think would be a great idea.

Adding some slides would definitely attract more customers. I don't know anyone who goes to the Seaquarium, or has been to it in 10 years.

Guest Clarisa

Memories.....though i recently went to Adventure Island (part of the Busch Gardens parks) and it reminded me so much of Six Flags. It had the wave pool and and the slides similar to SFA. My son enjoyed the 6 hours we spent there. He had the same facial expression I had when I went to SFA. :)

Six flags was awesome! Unfortunately I only went there once, years ago. How could it be that another Waterpark hasn't been built down here in South Florida? Some of you junkies probably already heard that Disney is going to build a waterpark somewhere down south (I think in Homestead). And I also heard that the Miami Seaquarium was planning on adding a few Waterslides, which I think would be a great idea.

Adding some slides would definitely attract more customers. I don't know anyone who goes to the Seaquarium, or has been to it in 10 years.

I also heard things a while back about something in Homestead. Not sure if thats the best place for one, but i do think that South Florida does need some kind of Water/Amusement Park...........

Risks from hurricanes in the summer and the few cold days we do get in miami during the winter, our weather may discourage development.

>:(

Guest Cosmigonon

pwstatue_1.gif

In 1966 Pirates World, an 87 acre buccaneer themed park, opened in Dania, Florida, on the north side of Sheridan Street, east of US 1. The park, developed by Recreation Corporation of America, had only skin deep theming but it offered some great rides.

pwsky1.jpg

Best of all was the steeplechase ride, said to be the original from Coney Island. Riders straddled molded horses and hung on to a metal "bit" as their horse traversed an undulating track designed to mimic a real jumping race.

pwcrows.JPG

The Crows Nest observation tower had been the Belgian Aerial Tower at the 1964/65 New York World's Fair (it, along with the log flume, was bought second hand after the fair). From a central post four metal cages, designed to carry several standing passengers, were hung by cables. To balance the structure two would be in the air while two were being loaded on the ground, then they'd be raised/lowered simultaneously.

pwmouse.jpg

Also on hand was a Wild Mouse roller coaster, a log flume, various carnival flat rides including a paratrooper, a sky ride, some carny games, a ski-ball arcade, spiral slides, and some pretty bad (as I recall) food.

pwflume.jpg

Pirates World also got into the rock concert business, bringing in name acts as well as rowdy patrons who caused more than one scuffle with the Police.

Pirates World had been successful enough in its early years -- but then, in 1971, Walt Disney World opened and Florida tourism changed forever. Compared to the Magic Kingdom, Pirates World began to look quaint and old fashioned -- and dangerous, with concert problems developing a not entirely accurate bad reputation. By 1973 it was in bankruptcy. In 1975 it was closed.

South Florida amusement park musical trivia: David Bowie played Pirates World in his Ziggy Stardust days.

Muy interesante.

Guest speedway

six flag atlantis. not kididng - it was where i puffed for the first time back in middle school...parents dropped us off up there and we got drunk of bottles of rum in the lockerroom them smoked at the fablolous thunderbirds (song: "Tuff Enuff) concert. Folks picked me and my friends up and we could barely keep it together the ride back home so hammered. wow what a memory and man youre making me feel old with these references.

Guest synergy

pwstatue_1.gif

pwsky1.jpg

pwcrows.JPG

pwmouse.jpg

pwflume.jpg

Pirate's world is the reason Dania beach has White Monkeys chillin by Motel 6 on Dania beach blvd.