Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ivano, Oscar G, & Acosta in the Herald Today...

Guest Adam Singer

Guest Scratch-D

Of course Miami has its own sound....

Miami is the home of the Mother FcKn BASS!

Alive and well... Thank you sir!

:D

and there you have it, straight from 1 of the true Ambassador's of Miami Bass... David Noller

Some of these kids weren't even born when you put out 'Just give the DJ a break' in 86 but there's a few of us old school fools still around to set the record straight.

I still remember the first time i heard you live, performing 'Atomic Age' with Scott, it's forever etched in my.

How are you Dave?

Major

check you pm.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marina22

Of course Miami has its own sound....

Miami is the home of the Mother FcKn BASS!

Also -

To post the moniker of electro over your music is a slap in the face to those who have poured thier heart and soul into it for over 20 years. Electro House with actual electro elements fused in ok... but seriously to just call it electro is a bit Lame.

yawn...

my 2c

;@)

Scratch-D

www.myspace.com/dynamixii

Great article!!!

I am curious to know why there is no 'Miami sound'. Take a genre like Reggae, for most part Reggae created in Jamaica has a different 'sound' or style than the reggae created in UK, New York or Brazil. One can expect that music created will be influenced/inspired by the local culture and other local music.

Welcome to the boards ;D

Guest Scratch-D

Electro (music)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electro

Stylistic origins: Synthpop, disco, funk and Old school hip hop

Cultural origins: early 1980s Detroit, Bronx, Los Angeles,

Typical instruments: Synthesizer, Drum machine, Vocoder, Sampler

Mainstream popularity: Mid- to late 1980s with a revival in the late 1990s.

Derivative forms: Electroclash

Subgenres

Detroit techno - Freestyle music - Miami bass

Fusion genres

Ghettotech

Electro, short for electro funk (also known as robot hip hop) is an electronic style of hip hop directly influenced by Kraftwerk and funk records (unlike earlier rap records which were closer to disco). Records in the genre typically have all-electronic sounds and vocals are delivered in a deadpan, mechanical manner often through a vocoder or other electronic distortion.

Contents

* 1 Characteristics

* 2 History

o 2.1 Subgenres

o 2.2 Contemporary electro

* 3 Artists

* 4 See also

* 5 External links

Characteristics

With few exceptions, the definition of the electro sound is the use of drum machines as the base of a track. A legendary drum machine with a recognizable sound still used today is the Roland TR-808. The instrumentation is generally all-electronic with a funk-style synthesizer bass line. Heavy use of effects such as reverb and echo together with electronic pads create a rich and simultaneously cold sound that emphasizes the common science fiction theme of the lyrics. Not all electro features rapping; vocals processed through a vocoder is a common element and instrumental tracks are more prominent than in related genres of electronic and hip hop music. In recent years it has become common for electro artists to perform using only laptop computers, this way emphasizing the technological theme of the music.

Concept albums are common in electro with Kraftwerk pioneering entire albums in technological or futuristic themes such as robots, computers or nuclear science. Many artists are entirely devoted to sci-fi subjects of this kind.

History

Bronx, NY based artist Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock (1982) is one of the first electro records, using elements of Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express and Numbers (from the Computer World album). Bambaataa and artists like Juan Atkins' group Cybotron, Planet Patrol, Jonzun Crew, and Newcleus went on to influence the genres of detroit techno, ghettotech, drum and bass and electroclash.

Subgenres

Los Angeles artists Egyptian Lover and Arabian Prince gave birth to electro hop, a less funky, more bass-heavy West Coast sound, similar to 2 Live Crew and the Miami Bass scene. Other artists in this style include Chris "The Glove" Taylor and World Class Wreckin' Cru.

Detroit also has a unique style sometimes called ghettotech which is a fusion of Detroit Techno and Ghetto house with the vocal element of Miami Bass. On the East Coast and especially in Miami, electro spawned freestyle, a soulful, Latin-centric variant.

Contemporary electro

Although the early 1980s were electro's heyday in the mainstream it enjoyed a popularity increase in the late 1990s with artists such as DMX Krew, Mr Velcro Fastener and Japanese Telecom. Some current making artists making music in this style have embraced the pseudonyms of Detroit techno pioneers. The renewed interest in electro, though influenced to a great degree by Detroit and New York music, is primarily taking hold elsewhere with electro club nights becoming commonplace again. The newfound popularity has influenced other electronic dance music genres such as EBM, as well as mainstream hiphop.

Artists

* 4ORCE

* Absynthesis

* aDt

* ADULT.

* Afrika Bambaataa

* Anthony Rother

* Arpanet

* ATF

* Aux88

* Bass Junkie

* Bass Kittens

* Boris Divider

* Blitz and the Sheets

* BSOD

* Chromeo

* Computor Rockers

* Cyberian Knights

* Cybrid

* Cybotron

* Dark Vektor

* DMX Krew

* Deichkind

* Dopplereffekt

* Drexciya

* Dynamix II

* Ectomorph

* Ed Barnes

* Egyptian Lover

* Ejektro-Dizjektah

* Electron Industries

* Elektroids

* Exzakt

* Fannypack

* Fevertech

* Ghost in the Machine

* Hashim

* Imatran Voima

* Industrial Bass Machine

* i-f

* Jackal & Hyde

* Jad Spyder Soundwave

* Japanese Telecom

* John Robie

* Jon Baz

* Jonzun Crew

* Knightz of Bass

* Kompleksi

* Le Syndicate Electronique

* Little Computer People

* Limbertimbre

* Mandroid

* Man Parrish

* Maxx Klaxon

* Michael Jonzun

* Mr Velcro Fastener

* Morphogenetic

* MS Sam & The Good Little Christian Boys

* Music Instructor

* Novamen

* Nukubus

* Pal Secam Kidz

* Pametex

* Paul Blackford

* Phatso Brown

* Planet Patrol

* Polytron

* Resident Alien

* Sbles3plex

* Scape One

* Silicon Scally

* SovietElectro

* Spektral

* Steril

* Syncom Data

* Track 72

* Volsoc

* Xerodefx

* ZoinX

Guest HouseJunkie

Electro (music)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electro, short for electro funk (also known as robot hip hop) is an electronic style of hip hop directly influenced by Kraftwerk and funk records (unlike earlier rap records which were closer to disco).

Electro is a form of Hip hop :o

I guess I do like hip hop after all....

Guest Kitana_One

These house producers should be ashamed of themselves. Why can't they just call it house? Are they ashamed of what they do, or has their music gotten so stale and boring that they need to re-invent the same crap over again with a new title. Whatever way you look at it, crap is crap, regardless if you call it electro-crap.

Guest HouseJunkie

Wow, those folks over on the Electroallaince board are very passionate people, they seems passionate about their Electro music and they hate house with a passion.

The discusson was very informative for me as I didn't know what true Electro was nor its origin but c'mon, do you really think that Ivano should be castrated for calling House music Electro.

Guest Kitana_One

Wow, those folks over on the Electroallaince board are very passionate people, they seems passionate about their Electro music and they hate house with a passion.

The discusson was very informative for me as I didn't know what true Electro was nor its origin but c'mon, do you really think that Ivano should be castrated for calling House music Electro.

Now, i'm not starting hit or trying to argue,.. just thought i'd point out a few things for the purpose of clarity.

If people were parading around calling their music "house" music when in fact it was not, therefore mis-representing the music you love so much and theefore giving people an incorrect impression about it... then I'm sure you may take slight offense to it. Especially if you produced that type of music and struggled very hard to get it heard,.. like most "Elecro" producers do. We love the music we produce and feel very passionately for it. We'd have to,... otherwise it wouldn't be around anymore.

People have come along and stolen the name "Electro" in order to cash in on a marketing trend. To further insult, such types of actions completely go against what most elecrtonic music stands for. It just goes to show what really drives most of todays producers and gives further merit as to why things aren't as happening as they used to be. It's actions like this that have destroyed much of the scene (I hate that word, but i'm finding that there's a lack of better words to use at the moment).

To the people that produce real "Electro" music and the people that love the music it's a bit of an insult. For over 20 years "Electro" music has just been "Electro". It is the origin of Electronic dance music and all of it's sub-genres (with the acception of disco, which was mainly acoustic music with the addition of occasional synthesizers courtesy of Georgio Moroder). We've never had to change the name of what we produce in order to market it to a new generation or a new market. Whereas House music has a million different sub-genres. Why is that? I'd have to say it's mainly because it's a genre of music that only survives because of peoples need for acceptance within a particular trend,.. which is a bit sad really.

Ivano and the rest of the people guilty of doing this should be ashamed of themselves. Why can't they just be proud of the music they produce and just call it house music?

anyways,.. that's just my two.

Guest Willie Morales

Now, i'm not starting hit or trying to argue,.. just thought i'd point out a few things for the purpose of clarity.

If people were parading around calling their music "house" music when in fact it was not, therefore mis-representing the music you love so much and theefore giving people an incorrect impression about it... then I'm sure you may take slight offense to it. Especially if you produced that type of music and struggled very hard to get it heard,.. like most "Elecro" producers do. We love the music we produce and feel very passionately for it. We'd have to,... otherwise it wouldn't be around anymore.

People have come along and stolen the name "Electro" in order to cash in on a marketing trend. To further insult, such types of actions completely go against what most elecrtonic music stands for. It just goes to show what really drives most of todays producers and gives further merit as to why things aren't as happening as they used to be. It's actions like this that have destroyed much of the scene (I hate that word, but i'm finding that there's a lack of better words to use at the moment).

To the people that produce real "Electro" music and the people that love the music it's a bit of an insult. For over 20 years "Electro" music has just been "Electro". It is the origin of Electronic dance music and all of it's sub-genres (with the acception of disco, which was mainly acoustic music with the addition of occasional synthesizers courtesy of Georgio Moroder). We've never had to change the name of what we produce in order to market it to a new generation or a new market. Whereas House music has a million different sub-genres. Why is that? I'd have to say it's mainly because it's a genre of music that only survives because of peoples need for acceptance within a particular trend,.. which is a bit sad really.

Ivano and the rest of the people guilty of doing this should be ashamed of themselves. Why can't they just be proud of the music they produce and just call it house music?

anyways,.. that's just my two.

So house music is not electronic dance music?

You said electro is electronic music and all of it's sub-genres so then technically house, trance and all the "sub-genres" would be electro... why don't you just call it bass isn't that electro also... there have to be sub-genres because humans have a need to classify that is why you call your precious music electro... because without it's sub genre of electro it would just be music... as for house there is hard house, soulful house, deep house, tribal house and so on I don't feel I need to explain why they are called what they are because they are self explanatory... different people like different types of house therefore the sub-classification... Electro house came about as a direct result of producers new trend to use heavy chunky funk influenced electronic “ELECTRO†synth bass lines in their music much like the funk influenced bass lines in funky bass or electro... it all came from the same place brother one is not better than the other… just different... should it use the same name probably not but it can't be helped now… it went from electro house to electro because people are lazy and don't want to say both words... sort of like FedEx, KFC, UPS, LOL and so on... music is forever evolving and changing no matter what it is called and who ultimately likes to listen to it, but it shares all the same influences… as for it's survival I don't know what trend you are referring to but house has and all it's spin-offs has been around for some time now and believe it will be around for just a bit longer (at least in some form)... I am proud of what I produce and that is HOUSE MUSIC but if you asked me what type I would have to say funky electro house... there is a little more than two cents here I apologize for going on and on... oh btw I also like "electro"

Guest Scratch-D

This is going way off course

The purpose of this thread is to call out the injustice of House producers labeling and marketing thier "electro house" fusion as "electro".

By doing so they have stepped on the toes of all who have poured thier heart and soul into making the genera of "electro".

If house producers had decided to add drum and bass elements to thier house music and give birth to a fusion called Drum and Bass House and later label it Drum and Bass you would be speaking to Goldie or one of the Metalheadz about now...

It is a slap in the face plain and simple and I am here to set the record straight.

:o

The purpose of this thread is to call out the injustice of House producers labeling and marketing thier "electro house" fusion as "electro".

By doing so they have stepped on the toes of all who have poured thier heart and soul into making the genera of "electro".

If house producers had decided to add drum and bass elements to thier house music and give birth to a fusion called Drum and Bass House and later label it Drum and Bass you would be speaking to Goldie or one of the Metalheadz about now...

It is a slap in the face plain and simple and I am here to set the record straight.

I thought the purpose of this thread was to point out an article in the paper about "The Miami Sound"...

as for "electro house"....sub-genres are just confusing...I dont think its worth getting upset about...and I certainly dont think it is a "slap in the face"...The fact is, most art is inspired and influenced by something else...Kraftwerk inspired Arthur Baker and Bambatta and so on and so on....

My earliest influence as a DJ or producer was Electro...(including DynamixII ;) ) so I hold a very special place in my heart for electro.. The way I see it is, this electro-house thing is just a sub-genre...just like the many others before it (tribal, deep, proggressive, acid, gospel, garage, hip-house, mimimal, tech, etc.) It is just a sound...not a movement...and if I had to guess, I dont think it will be around for very long...

I would be more upset about the DJ Laz's of the world carrying on the Electro tradition...

and...about this "Miami Sound"

Although I was mentioned in this article...I wasn't interviewed for it...I have no idea what the Miami Sound is...Ralph and I have been trying to figure that out for over 15 years already..lol....They were asking us about the Miami Sound back when there werent ANY clubs playing house in Miami...I am very proud of my Miami roots and always try to make it part of everything I do..but I am not sure what the Miami sound is...back when Ralph and I started making house records there was certainly ZERO house music coming from Miami...Most of our influences were from NYC, Chicago, Detroit, etc...We interpreted that into our own sound (which we called MURK) Somewhere along the line people started asking us how we felt about being responsible for the "Miami Sound"...to this day we have no idea what that means...

Just the fact that Acosta and Ivano are both being asked about it probably means nobody knows what the hell it is..lol...Those two guys couldnt play more different from eachother...

The way I look at it is...the more attention EDM gets...The better it is for everyone...

FUCK THE LABELS!!!

GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC!!!!

Guest Willie Morales

I thought the purpose of this thread was to point out an article in the paper about "The Miami Sound"...

as for "electro house"....sub-genres are just confusing...I dont think its worth getting upset about...and I certainly dont think it is a "slap in the face"...The fact is, most art is inspired and influenced by something else...Kraftwerk inspired Arthur Baker and Bambatta and so on and so on....

My earliest influence as a DJ or producer was Electro...(including DynamixII ;) ) so I hold a very special place in my heart for electro.. The way I see it is, this electro-house thing is just a sub-genre...just like the many others before it (tribal, deep, proggressive, acid, gospel, garage, hip-house, mimimal, tech, etc.) It is just a sound...not a movement...and if I had to guess, I dont think it will be around for very long...

I would be more upset about the DJ Laz's of the world carrying on the Electro tradition...

and...about this "Miami Sound"

Although I was mentioned in this article...I wasn't interviewed for it...I have no idea what the Miami Sound is...Ralph and I have been trying to figure that out for over 15 years already..lol....They were asking us about the Miami Sound back when there werent ANY clubs playing house in Miami...I am very proud of my Miami roots and always try to make it part of everything I do..but I am not sure what the Miami sound is...back when Ralph and I started making house records there was certainly ZERO house music coming from Miami...Most of our influences were from NYC, Chicago, Detroit, etc...We interpreted that into our own sound (which we called MURK) Somewhere along the line people started asking us how we felt about being responsible for the "Miami Sound"...to this day we have no idea what that means...

Just the fact that Acosta and Ivano are both being asked about it probably means nobody knows what the hell it is..lol...Those two guys couldnt play more different from eachother...

The way I look at it is...the more attention EDM gets...The better it is for everyone...

FUCK THE LABELS!!!

GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC!!!!

well said brother... exactly

Guest Scratch-D

Just for the record OG i have a few of your classic Murk releases in my library. ;) backatcha..

However-

It's definately a slap in the face to paste the title of "electro" over house music and market it as electro.

If its an electro house fusion then for the love of God call it what it is...

Hijacking the electro moniker for the purpose of marketing yet another house genera is bullshit.

When I saw the cover to the post below I almost choked.

As I said before If you did the same thing to Jungle or Drum and Bass the Metalheadz would be here in my place defending thier form of audio art.

>:(