Clubplanet Nightlife Community

24-hour club district may face closing time

Guest endymion

Guest mr.miami

No need to worry all the people that paid for those not even done yet condos will be forclosed on by the time they are done being built and the city will be full of a bunch of deserted condos. Hell I wouldnt want a condo with all those homeless people still running around. ;D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason why Las Vegas is quickly catching up to Miami in terms of clubbing . . .

Any doubt LP is looking for a location there???

Any astute businessman hedges his bets. If I was a club owner, I'd be scoping out an LV location too. Anthony Bourdain hit Vegas up in last night's episode of No Reservations, and he characterized the place as a former shade of it's old self.

However, in Vegas, they simply don't party late even though the option exists. The people in our Vegas office are in bed by six.

The thing with Vegas is that it is essentially where white people go to get their (debatable) funk on. People from Illinois and Kansas go there and party down, get syphillis from a whore, and then go back to Peoria.

Two different markets if you will.

Guest Mattivi

i and a few others have posted this before. why not soundproof the patio at space. build one big glass skylight and/or glass dome. there has to be some pragmatic solution to the noise.

Guest musicalmissionary

There's the house parties and warehouse parties Ramon is so fond of pointing out, but that's not for everybody, much less a mass-media purveyor like myself. Who I am and what I represent simply aren't welcome there.

Total fucking bullshit... everyone is welcome at a warehouse party. If you don't feel welcome it's because you're a club elitist and you feel you're too good for a warehouse.

Guest coach

i and a few others have posted this before. why not soundproof the patio at space. build one big glass skylight and/or glass dome. there has to be some pragmatic solution to the noise.

Can you say "greenhouse"? It'd be 1000 degrees in there. No way you could pump in enough AC to keep the temperature survivable.

Guest Gladius

Can you say "greenhouse"? It'd be 1000 degrees in there. No way you could pump in enough AC to keep the temperature survivable.

true story

Even with my gear stowed, I get dirty looks in warehouse parties. I don't know why. I enjoy warehouse parties, but I simply don't feel welcome at them.

If noise is the issue, they should just soundproof all the clubs just like Twilo did. Twilo is completely soundproof, you can't hear a thing from the outside.

And Pod, sorry but the 4 am cutoff time does not kill the crowd in NYC. The crowd over there goes later than Space. Last time I went to Crobar, they closed at 8pm on sunday. Although they stop serving liquor at 4, they start again at 8am, in between they serve red bull and water, and the club stays packed. Obviously the drug comsumption over there is 10x worse. They've been doing afterhours in NYC since the early 80's, they literally invented afterhours.

Another reason why Las Vegas is quickly catching up to Miami in terms of clubbing . . .

no its not. i lived there for 2 years and vegas scene is NOTHING like Miami. Ice is the only decent thing going on over in Vegas

But the "tolerable" crowd departs soon after the booze runs out. To quote a local club marketing guy, "Miami is cooler than you think, and New York isn't as cool as you think..."

But let's not argue here. Part of the problem here in Miami is that everyone argues too much over the stupidest thing: music. Then when there's a real problem, it's like a squad of vultures. I worry when clubs get shut down. As much as a I didn't like Metropolis, it was harmful when they shut down due to the sensationalized media reporting and the circumstances of their closure. Didn't do much for a scene and area already under the microscope.

My idea for the area is that the city should be liberal in their regs, but brutal with those who run afoul of them...i.e. we're giving you a lot of leeway here, so don't be surprised if we shut you down for fucking up.

no its not. i lived there for 2 years and vegas scene is NOTHING like Miami. Ice is the only decent thing going on over in Vegas

Thank you! If you're into dance music, Vegas blows. There's one or two venues that cater to the dance demo, the rest are for the tourist to get down and funky with Bob Roberts from Peoria.

Stuff like that is on the books and being budgeted for. With the City government, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. You've got the CRA OKing new clubs, and then you've got other agencies approving condo projects.

I don't see a clean fuck-the-clubs-yay-white-people-and-condos fight like on Miami Beach. It's gonna get dirty. Who will win? Too early to tell.

Guest ramon

Space Ibiza does it.

Guest ramon

I hope the 24 hour continues. It's one of the things that makes clubbing in Miami unique. DJ's can play longer sets. You can have different kinds of crowds and industry folks can make a bit more money.

I know I harp on about music and what not, but this is an issue that affects everyone.

I hope we can continue to enjoy our sunrises and maybe one day we can enjoy our sunsets as well. ;)

Good point. A lot of you guys bitch and whine about the music, but half the reason we get the DJs that we do is because of the comparatively liberal nightlife atmosphere. You think it's hard now to book DJs? Imagine if these measure do pass.

Guest sobe2004

I never said that it was equal . . . just said it is catching up . . .

And more so that you are giving credit to . . . remember we have the CLEVELANDERCLUBDEEPFATTUESDAYS just like Vegas has their cheezy element . . .

Miami has probably half the tourists vegas does . . .

But for the smaller clubs/lounges we have, Vegas has Pure, Tao, Light and several more . . .

Guest endymion

You think it's hard now to book DJs? Imagine if these measure do pass.

After the 2 AM closing time, Gainesville went from world-class, world-famous DJ's at Simon's every weekend straight to.... nothing.

Exactly. Talk to people in Gainesville, Orlando, etc.

Half the reasons those passed is because the club communities in there were too small to fight back. Here we've got multi-million dollar venues as par for the course, run by actual businesspeople. In other words, we have no excuse to take this lying down. I tell people all the time how unique and exciting the Miami club scene is, and part of that is the potential and reality of the downtown area. Where else in the US can you see a top DJ perform until noon or so, in a legal, sanctioned venue?

In the past year, I've logged some travel miles and talked to DJs, and they all want to play Miami, so they can "really stretch their legs..." With the acceptance of CDs and Serato, a performer can play a "Miami set" with whatever their carry-on luggage is.

Exactly. Talk to people in Gainesville, Orlando, etc.

Half the reasons those passed is because the club communities in there were too small to fight back. Here we've got multi-million dollar venues as par for the course, run by actual businesspeople. In other words, we have no excuse to take this lying down. I tell people all the time how unique and exciting the Miami club scene is, and part of that is the potential and reality of the downtown area. Where else in the US can you see a top DJ perform until noon or so, in a legal, sanctioned venue?

In the past year, I've logged some travel miles and talked to DJs, and they all want to play Miami, so they can "really stretch their legs..." With the acceptance of CDs and Serato, a performer can play a "Miami set" with whatever their carry-on luggage is.

this is all soo true, i mean this isnt some fly by night operation where the city doesent make a shit ton of money...personally i can see them coming to some kind of agreement with space...truthfully as long a space gets to stay im happy, i just dont see what the big deal is, even with the condos, when i park at the lot by those condos its not like u can hear the music that far away anyway

And as Ramon and others pointed out, there are noise abatement solutions. Space would be the easiest of outdoor venues to implement it in. The noise from that venue generally goes north out the "hole" on the north side of the building, towards the highway.

Nocturnal (whatever their ultimate fate is...) will have a bitch of a time, since their "hole" faces the condos.

Guest ramon

well you weirdos need to be in church on sunday mornings anyway

It's a long drive to Denver. However, they have a better line-up than we do.

don't want to threadjack, but denver has a great scene atm. :)