Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Got a blackberry....

Dammit way too many gadgets now. The firm just gave me the new blackberry. Its pretty cool but now i have two huge phones to deal with. Its a blessing and a curse though cause now i'm available 24/7 but if they send me simple emails with questions, i can get them out of the way no matter where i am.

I'm being bombarded by technology!!!

Dammit way too many gadgets now. The firm just gave me the new blackberry. Its pretty cool but now i have two huge phones to deal with. Its a blessing and a curse though cause now i'm available 24/7 but if they send me simple emails with questions, i can get them out of the way no matter where i am.

Technology is a paradox. We have all these time saving techy gadgets so we can do more on the go, yet it seems like we have less and less time to ourselves. Sign of the times? I don't get it... What gives ???

Guest pod

The BBs are hit or miss for me. What I don't like is the way it handles emails, in that everything goes through RIM's servers in Canada, no matter who your cell provider is. No biggie until you realize that it is a major chokepoint. This almost bought down the entire BB userbase last year, when RIM lost their patent infringment case, and the courts came real close to telling them to shutdown, which would have left millions of BB users in the lurch.

Guest pod

Both devices are for the birds. Get a Dash when it comes out next week, load it up with Blackberry Connect, which interfaces with the Blackberry Enterprise Server your company undoubtedly uses, and go to town.

That way:

1) You're not saddled with a device you do not own.

2) You're not saddled with the substandard BB interface.

3) You're running a Windows Smartphone device so you can still sync all your stuff just fine.

I would suggest a Symbian device, but ones that would fit your needs are horrendously expensive. You can walk away with a Dash for $200 w/contract.

The only downside to the Dash is that it isn't UMTS capable in either Europe or the US. UMTS bands just got finalized in the States.

Guest endymion

It looks more and more likely every day that I'll be playing with an iPhone in January.

Getting a Dash for the wife this week anyway. I'll let you know if it's cool.

BlackBerries don't work with Salling Clicker. That was what made my decision on the Dash in the end.

Both devices are for the birds. Get a Dash when it comes out next week, load it up with Blackberry Connect, which interfaces with the Blackberry Enterprise Server your company undoubtedly uses, and go to town.

That way:

1) You're not saddled with a device you do not own.

2) You're not saddled with the substandard BB interface.

3) You're running a Windows Smartphone device so you can still sync all your stuff just fine.

I would suggest a Symbian device, but ones that would fit your needs are horrendously expensive. You can walk away with a Dash for $200 w/contract.

The only downside to the Dash is that it isn't UMTS capable in either Europe or the US. UMTS bands just got finalized in the States.

Well i dont really want to have both my personal stuff and work on the same device. Gotta keep SOME separation. The BB is paid for by the firm, and i just got the sidekick. I prefer the SK cause its got everything i want/need. The BB is just whatever. Can't really get the Dash cause i just signed a contract with T-Mobile. Maybe i'll see about upgrading or something.

Ok so now i already have a gripe with the stupid thing. Why does it not let you read emails when its in the holster? I can scroll but i can't select. Also, when i take it out of the holster instead of staying on the email highlighted or at the most recent one its going all the way back to monday when i take it ou. How do i get it to stop doing that? Soooooo annoying.

I got the Moto Q, it basically only does 3 things for me.

1. map program

2. All my outlook contacts are in the phone.

3. Emails, however I do read them on my Q, but 99% of the time I reply when I get back to my laptop in my office.

However, for 15 bucks a month, Verizon will allow you to tether your Q to your Laptop and your laptop is now on the internet.

Though playing Oregon trail anywhere I go does kick ass.. God dam river gets my oxen every time!

Ps. I'm not sure about the new crackberrys, but people love the fact I keep my Q in my front shirt pocket, it's so slim..

Ok so now i already have a gripe with the stupid thing. Why does it not let you read emails when its in the holster? I can scroll but i can't select. Also, when i take it out of the holster instead of staying on the email highlighted or at the most recent one its going all the way back to monday when i take it ou. How do i get it to stop doing that? Soooooo annoying.

I highly suggest you find a BB forum, I read Q users and it's really helped. I know there is a huge treo site out there, so their must be a BB site.

Guest swirlundergrounder

You are screwed now. My wife is a Blackberry addict. She calls it 'The Crackberry'. She's always on it. When she cooks she checks it, when she is swimming in the pool it's on the side of the pool. She even has it in the shower with her sometimes...

But then again she's super busy at her job... :P

Guest pod

Hey, its what the firm wants everyone to use. I really dont have a choice.

Yeah you do. A lot of devices support what they call "Blackberry Connect" these days. Treos, the Nokia E61, etc.

You are screwed now. My wife is a Blackberry addict. She calls it 'The Crackberry'. She's always on it. When she cooks she checks it, when she is swimming in the pool it's on the side of the pool. She even has it in the shower with her sometimes...

But then again she's super busy at her job... :P

;D Thats how i am with my sidekick. *lol*

Dan, i say i dont have a choice because i'm not paying anything for a phone for work. If thats what the firm wants to give me, then so be it. Nothings coming out of my pocket for it and i know that i can't go to them and request a different phone.