Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Xbox360 repairs cost Microsoft $1 billion

Bling

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/05/technology/microsoft_charge.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

i was on on that list as well....... :P

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp. said Thursday said it would take a more than $1 billion charge to fix "an unacceptable number of repairs" to its Xbox 360 video game consoles and had missed shipment targets for the end of June.

Microsoft (Charts, Fortune 500) is under pressure with mounting complaints about Xbox 360 failures on the Internet and growing expectations that Sony Corp. could slash the price of its rival PlayStation 3 console at a video game exposition next week.

Xbox marks the sore spot

Video More video

Microsoft figures out a way to download TV. CNN's Andy Serwer is 'Minding Your Business.' (November 7)

Play video

So far Microsoft has the lead on Sony in the battle for high-end video game machines, but it shipped only 11.6 million 360s by the end of June, compared with a target of about 12 million, Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said during a conference call with analysts Thursday.

Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, said the timing of the announcement about the charge for the quarter ending in June and a new extended warranty were unrelated to any potential move by Sony.

"This is just one of those things that happens when it happens," Bach said in an interview. "We reached our conclusion early this week and because it's a financially meaningful issue we had to announce it immediately."

The hardware issue has marred a string of successes for Xbox 360, which has built an early lead over the PlayStation 3 with Microsoft's strong lineup of games and popular online service.

But it is also finding increasing competition for some parts of its business, such as Apple Inc.'s incursion into television shows delivered over the Web, which is also a feature of the Xbox online service.

Red flashing lights

Microsoft said it had investigated the sources of hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console and had identified "a number of factors" that can cause such failures.

Bach said many of those factors took time to show up in the consoles, explaining why the number of repairs had grown in the second year of the Xbox 360's release. He would not say exactly how many Xbox 360s had been returned due to hardware issues except that "the number is too large."

The company said it would extend warranty coverage to three years to cover the problem and would reimburse customers who had previously paid for repairs related to the three-flashing-lights error message. It also said it has made improvements to the Xbox 360 console.

The charge will be in a range of $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion, before taxes, for the quarter ended June 30, Microsoft said.

Microsoft had already cut its forecast for Xbox 360 shipments in January. It had previously forecast shipments of 13 million to 15 million by the end of June.

"What you have to ask yourself as an investor is, should Microsoft be in the hardware business?" said Kim Caughey, senior analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group, which oversees about $1.2 billion, including Microsoft shares, for clients.

She added, however, that the charge should not be a concern for long-term investors.

"It's a lot of money, let's not say it isn't," Caughey said. "But if you're a long-term holder, I don't think it's going to have that great an impact."

Bach said the new warranty would not impact the Xbox division's plan to turn a profit in fiscal 2008, which started this month.

He was also mum on the issue of whether Microsoft would announce a price cut for the Xbox 360 console if Sony made a similar move.

"We will assess what we do with pricing and other aspects of our business based on our own business," he said.

Microsoft shares dropped slightly to $29.91 after closing at $29.99 on Nasdaq.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ILLMATIC

Damn that sucks Bling. My old Xbox never crapped out on me while I had and is still running. My current Xbox360 gave me the ring of death "ONCE" and has never done it again. Knock on wood.

What the hell are you doing to your machines?

Guest ILLMATIC

Xbox 360 failure rate as high as 30 percent?

A survey of retailers has found that as many as 30 percent of all Xbox 360s are being returned for repair. This goes against Microsoft's assertion that Xbox 360 is well within standard industry failure rates of 3 - 5 percent.

red-ring-of-death.jpg

Microsoft regularly denies there's any sort of problem with Xbox 360 whenever the issue is raised, but the mass of anecdotal evidence from buyers and shop owners would suggest there's definitely something a bit wrong with its insides.

It's been left down to console owners to figure out what the problem is, with most tech-minded gamers believing the heat Xbox 360 generates is melting and loosening chip connectors within the console.

It's not so much the breaking that's the problem - it's Microsoft charging owners a massive £80 to fix the things once they're out of warranty, creating a double-whammy of customer rage.

http://techdigest.tv/2007/06/xbox_360_failur.html

My brother had 3 systems in 1 year, mine has not broken in about 6 months.

so yours broke or has not broken? im on my 2nd refurbished system right now (1st replacement one... my friend has gone thru 4.. and he just paid to have his last one repaird a month ago.. he was on hold an hr yesterday fighthing for his refund now with the factory warranty extension)

My original unit busted after having it for a year but it was kind of my vault. I used to have my unit standing straight up instead of flat on its side. One day I was charging one of my controllers and had it hook up to the 360 while I was playing GOW. I had gotten a call so I paused the game I was playing. Then while still talking I got up and I ended up tripping over the wire that charges the controller and it tips the 360 on its side. It ended up that my 360 could no longer read any games and it also scratched GOW on me. Luckily I had bought the extended warranty from Best Buy and I was able to get a new unit no questions ask.

Guest ILLMATIC

Elite to be priced cheaper in Japan

Posted Jul 5th 2007 12:00PM by Dustin Burg

Filed under: News

elite360boxnconsole.jpg

This morning, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 Elite bundle will make its way to the Japanese market October 11th and will be priced cheaper than in the US. The black 360 will cost 47,800 yen which translates to roughly $390 US, making it $90 cheaper in Japan. Man, do we want ourselves some cheap Elite love too. Microsoft's reasoning pretty much revolves around the fact that the Xbox 360's performance in Japan lacks stating that "the decision on the pricing was based on the situation in the Japanese market" and that "we are not satisfied with our position in Japan and working to improve it". So, if Americans quit buying Xbox 360 Elites then we too would get cheaper hardware ... we'll have to make a note of that one.

i put a fan behind it so far so good.. just DONT PUT IT INTO AN ENTERTAINMENT CENTER=INSTANT DEATH

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=71

got that but took it off i heard it was messing up the power of the system. though i hear the new model rectified that.. either way i am stayin clear of 3rd party stuff. plus the nyko voids the warranty fuck that.. im good so far with a mini fan. yeah its not as cool as the nyko but it does its job no lockups.. plus i dont do marathon sessions anymore

that might change though with two worlds next month

Guest ILLMATIC

Buy a PC with the following.

Intel® Core™2 Extreme

NVIDIA® SLI™ + DirectX10

800MHz DDR2 Memory

Up to 4TB of Storage

Blu-ray Optical Drive (Maybe)

Ageia PhysXâ„¢ processor

whats the Bigs i saw it in the store what type of game is it

It's a baseball game. It is made by 2k sports and it is not the typical baseball game. You get power boosts from doing things like getting strikeouts which you can use to hit super homeruns with. The best part is they have this game called homerun pinball in which you are in Timesquare NY and you get points for hitting different signs. Not sure if you are into sports games but if you are this is a good purchase.