Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Biz & Roland Interview

Guest JustDade

It's not like clubs have bunches of ways to make money. Booze or cover charge. Making you pay to use the pisser is inhumane, 95% don't have food sales, so you gotta sell space.

I blame the DJ's and thier exhorbitant booking fees! ;)

most miami clubs do not book djs anymore. Only every now and then.. The problem is there is are far too many guestlists and comps in Miami.. No one values their night out since no one is actually paying to get in..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Seb
While I'm on the subject....whatever happened to clubs where you could go to and actually have a seat ? Without having to spend $300...! :mad:

WTF happened to this biz, when getting a seat in a club costs money...? Why can't people have a seat in a club and send a waitress over to take their orders...?

Lazy...people are just too lazy.:(

that's what I'm always amazed by when I go home to TO. There's actually a place to sit and you don't have to buy a table, imagine that

Guest coach

A $100 per person cover charge for VIP service would seem to be much more sane. Then you can have a waitress bring you professionally poured drinks from the bar, rather than the shit you slop together at your table from warm Cranberry juice and the 2 different alcohols you have to choose from.

This has always been my issue with VIP. I order at the bar, I can get whatever I want and mix it up. Maybe I want a Jaeger shot after my Cosmo followed by a Long Island Iced Tea and finished up with a shot of Patron. Sure, I'll be sick as fuck the next day, but I have that option.

But, if you go "VIP" you are stuck with only a couple different alcohols and a few quickly warming mixers. AND you have to pour the shit yourself?

As far as the 11-drinks-per-person issue, what if we are just talking about a couple or a threesome? In my best days, I could do 11 drinks, maybe a couple more, if spread over an 8 hour period or so. But 15 or 22? Hell no. And even if you do stay at the club for 8 hours (which is possible in Miami), do you really want to drink something that's been sitting there that long?

So, there you go, I'm gonna lobby for that change. $100 per person VIP service. Gets you into the club with priority, gets you a seat in the VIP section, and gets you a table-service waitress. Then you pay for your drinks individually in addition. I bet the clubs would actually make more money because they get the VIP fee plus drinks. You would have more people using VIP because being banged for $100 seems a lot more reasonable than being banged for $600 (remember most people can't do math and won't factor in the drink cost) and you can do it easier if you just have 1 or 2 in your party. And the clubs would be less liable for appearing to try to force people to drink too much.

Guest tekniQz
For a solid year, my roommate and I only drank Ever Clear. We would buy the half gallon and mix it with Sprite. I was hard core back then and still couldn't put away 11 drinks.

Ya i dont mess with anything more than 5-6 drinks these days but for me back then i think it was more about testing my limits.I can safely say i survived.

Guest swank
that's what I'm always amazed by when I go home to TO. There's actually a place to sit and you don't have to buy a table, imagine that

haha! I just got an invitation for a Halloween party in Toronto at a 'boutique' club. here's what hit me the hardest $4 drink specials all night long. :eek: and this is not a dive...

There really should be more options when it comes to getting a table. I've wanted to get one at a few different events but the 2 bottle minimum is a HUGE deterrent. TWO bottles for FOUR girls? Like mentioned before, its criminal. Even saving the bottle for the second visit (while known, it is majorly frowned upon) costs an additional $150+ (at Cielo) and i had to raise holy hell even after talking to the manager during the day.

Its a hassle and for someone that is an audiophile, sometimes i don't necessarily i don't want to deal with it. I'd like to have a nice evening at a club where i can dress up sometimes, not get my feet stepped on and sit to enjoy the music. Why should i have to be forced to spend MIN $600 for this privilege? What if i DON'T WANT to get plastered beyond belief?

What other options are there?

Guest myles hie
most miami clubs do not book djs anymore. Only every now and then.. The problem is there is are far too many guestlists and comps in Miami.. No one values their night out since no one is actually paying to get in..

Hence the winking smiley about the DJ's fee.

But you bring another good point trying to discredit what i was saying.

If there is no one paying a cover then they really need to push the bottles.

You can come in for free but you have to pay 300 to sit here and drink.

Guest swank
swank, why do you state it's already started in terms of bottle service being on the way out??? Is this fact or opinion? Are clubs having a hard time selling tables?

It would be hard to prove without breaking non-disclosure agreements but in my opinion it seems like the people I speak to in the industry are having to work harder to maintain the numbers previously achieved. Not everyone in Miami likes to work at recruiting new suckers and their old suckers are moving on. The club patron moves in cycles which are usually measures of 4 years... which represent 4 years of education....then first 4 years of new employment....then next 4 years of relationship/marriage etc.

The bottle generation are now growing up and realizing that they don't have to buy a bottle in order to have a good time and they're teaching the next generation.

Look what to get for under $600 - Google Search

Guest pod
What if i DON'T WANT to get plastered beyond belief?

What other options are there?

Then you really should just stay home. Going out sober is irritating at best. :eek:

i like barbarino's questions and how he tries to make biz and roland to actually speak their mind but the interview itself talks nothing about LC .. it only states the fact that they left because they felt the LC name was being left behind ..

aside from 1 or 2 questions the rest of the interview is pretty much biz and roland's point of view on our scene

i would've liked to see more info on how biz actually puts LC together and how they came up with the concept etc ... more inside info on how they actually work ... maybe asked them what was their favorite moment throughout the past year ..

best most sincere question was .. "downtown patios were all about deep groove music, now is all about techno s***" << it made me realize how all afterhours parties have changed and are NOTHING like before ...

god i miss the old space patio !

It would be hard to prove without breaking non-disclosure agreements but in my opinion it seems like the people I speak to in the industry are having to work harder to maintain the numbers previously achieved. Not everyone in Miami likes to work at recruiting new suckers and their old suckers are moving on. The club patron moves in cycles which are usually measures of 4 years... which represent 4 years of education....then first 4 years of new employment....then next 4 years of relationship/marriage etc.

The bottle generation are now growing up and realizing that they don't have to buy a bottle in order to have a good time and they're teaching the next generation.

Look what to get for under $600 - Google Search

LP puts his club crowd at 3 years, but I do see your 4 year point, however the avg college student does it in 5.5 years..

For 600 bucks, I rather buy this:

here

Guest JustDade

Swank is wrong about the bottle service/VIP thing going away anytime soon. It's like Costco......they are selling in volume, which is always better. The truth is that there will always be people wanting to show off. If there weren't, you would see a lot less $150,000 cars and more Prius on the road. VIP is about being seen and envied. As long as there is a velvet rope, people will want to pay to be on the inside of that barrier so they can feel better about themselves.

The example of the guy buying a Mercedes and not wanting the key is silly at best. A real example would be that the guy buys a mercedes and 6 months later he is bored of it and trades it on a Bentley but doesn't care when he loses half the value. The real baller is actually buying the image of being a VIP rather than the booze or the chair. He's buying the jealousy of those around him.......and that chick in the skimpy black dress.....all for a few hundred bucks. Such a deal!

And for those making the "personal responsibility" argument....isn't judgement the first thing to go when a person gets drunk? Are we really expecting the drunk to know when to cut himself off? That's like trying to convince him that the girl he wants to take home really is that ugly........he won't care until tomorrow.

Guest Mayor

Im with Biz and Dade on this hands down. It might sound crazy and look crazy and be crazy but Miami and NY created this whole idea.

Back whe bottle service first started back in the 90's at bash, chaos it blew up like crazy becuase of people wanting to be better than everyone else.

I have seen people go bottle for bottle across from each other to "one up" the other table for no other reason than looking like he has more more money than the other guy. It is insane and those people dont stick around in one place for so long.

They are transient and want to be at the cool spot at that time.

Now back to is it extortion?

No - Thats how the clubs have to make their money

South Florida is one of the few markets in the country that has the ability in selling full bottles at tables and the customer has full control of the bottle and what he does with it.

In Virginia or the Carolina's they still sell the little airplane bottles

In other cities the waitress or busser has to wait by the table to fill the drinks for the customer becuase it is illegal for the customer to touch the bottle.

You are paying for your realestate but you are also getting your admission comped.

It makes sense if 6 people go in on a table and figure they are going to pay $50 -$100 bucks per person (depending on 1 or 2 bottles) and the door ($20 bucks usually) is waived. So thats $120 bucks your party is saving and now you have a base of operations to go pick up chicks, go out to the dance floor or just walk around and know that you have a seat and a table for the rest of the night.

You dont have to finish the bottle - your not forced to do anything other than choose which club you want to go to

Some clubs have different policies on holding bottles and some dont

Pangaea and Gryphon hold your bottles for 2 weeks allowing the customer to come back and finish it at a different time

I personally think this makes sense and would be an incentive for myself

I do agree that some places are out of control and are all about taking advantage

My girl just left for Vegas to go to a bachelorette party

One of the girls spoke with someone about getting a table at LAX for the 10 girls for Saturday night

They were told 6 bottles!

6 bottles 10 girls - rediculous

Thats the problem - some places want to be so exclusive they kill the fun and the cool experience of going out

Guest RzO

As i said in the other thread, it was a good read and i like that babarino did it as well. There were some really good questions in there.

As far as th vip thing, I don't know where i stand, i buy bottles usually on my birthday and for an event that i know i will be at for many hours and have a few people who are willing to also do it. At the places i frequent i dont think that the prices are too bad, it usually works out to about $100/person and you get a bunch of liqour. The money is mainly (imo) going for the seat, that is why one would pay that much. Like Dade said vip is something that is made for exactly that, and it isn't supposed to be cheap. Again im sure at some of the higher end places they charge more but i don't have an issue with $250-$300 for a bottle and a seat.

Im with Biz and Dade on this hands down. It might sound crazy and look crazy and be crazy but Miami and NY created this whole idea.

Back whe bottle service first started back in the 90's at bash, chaos it blew up like crazy becuase of people wanting to be better than everyone else.

I have seen people go bottle for bottle across from each other to "one up" the other table for no other reason than looking like he has more more money than the other guy. It is insane and those people dont stick around in one place for so long.

They are transient and want to be at the cool spot at that time.

Now back to is it extortion?

No - Thats how the clubs have to make their money

South Florida is one of the few markets in the country that has the ability in selling full bottles at tables and the customer has full control of the bottle and what he does with it.

In Virginia or the Carolina's they still sell the little airplane bottles

In other cities the waitress or busser has to wait by the table to fill the drinks for the customer becuase it is illegal for the customer to touch the bottle.

You are paying for your realestate but you are also getting your admission comped.

It makes sense if 6 people go in on a table and figure they are going to pay $50 -$100 bucks per person (depending on 1 or 2 bottles) and the door ($20 bucks usually) is waived. So thats $120 bucks your party is saving and now you have a base of operations to go pick up chicks, go out to the dance floor or just walk around and know that you have a seat and a table for the rest of the night.

You dont have to finish the bottle - your not forced to do anything other than choose which club you want to go to

Some clubs have different policies on holding bottles and some dont

Pangaea and Gryphon hold your bottles for 2 weeks allowing the customer to come back and finish it at a different time

I personally think this makes sense and would be an incentive for myself

I do agree that some places are out of control and are all about taking advantage

My girl just left for Vegas to go to a bachelorette party

One of the girls spoke with someone about getting a table at LAX for the 10 girls for Saturday night

They were told 6 bottles!

6 bottles 10 girls - rediculous

Thats the problem - some places want to be so exclusive they kill the fun and the cool experience of going out

You completely side stepped the main issue of forcing excess alcohol on someone. In NJ you can buy the bottle at the bar, which they put in a bucket right in front of you. No mins, no nothing.. Forcing people to buy ridiculous amounts of alcohol imho is illegal or should be.

Guest pod

Barbarino.

It's not forcing someone to buy a minimum. No one is forcing you to go to the club, no one is forcing you to go VIP. If you need VIP to go out, you've got ego issues.

I'm not a lawyer, but I could see the defense saying "No one forced them to go out that evening..."

Again, I don't think we need laws to compensate for mental defectives.

Barbarino.

It's not forcing someone to buy a minimum. No one is forcing you to go to the club, no one is forcing you to go VIP. If you need VIP to go out, you've got ego issues.

I'm not a lawyer, but I could see the defense saying "No one forced them to go out that evening..."

Again, I don't think we need laws to compensate for mental defectives.

Pod, that could be the dumbest logic ever. You could apply that to anything. Why did you get shot in the head in the hood? Who told you to go there? It's your fault..

Wrong wrong wrong..

If you want a table, you should pay for the table, not be forced to buy excess amount of a drug that kills millions a year...

Also bartenders found guilty of serving drunk people are common.. Under your logic, a bartender has zero responsibility..

Guest Mayor
You completely side stepped the main issue of forcing excess alcohol on someone. In NJ you can buy the bottle at the bar, which they put in a bucket right in front of you. No mins, no nothing.. Forcing people to buy ridiculous amounts of alcohol imho is illegal or should be.

Forcing and offering a service is 2 completely different things

People dont have to buy the table to come to your club

They can still pay the $20 and come in and spend money at the bar

When you get a table you are getting "Bottle Service"

which entail brings a VIP experience with it

your own waitress, table, host blah blah blah

The amount of bottles is determined on the night, location of the table, how many people etc....

Florida is one of the only states that does not have an "over serve" statute

Which basically says you can be hammmered out of your mind leaning up against the bar and ask for another beer and they can still serve you

The bartender can be at risk and make the call him or herself but it is not enforceable unless that person leaves and causes personal injury to himself or other people

Other states, if a person is visablly intoxicated by and deemed so by managment their is a mandatory no serve policy

your right - it might be fucked up but thats the way it is and until something drastic happens and the state has to rethink this statute then it will continue going on

Blame the state man - not the industry

Guest swank
Swank is wrong about the bottle service/VIP thing going away anytime soon. It's like Costco......they are selling in volume, which is always better. The truth is that there will always be people wanting to show off. If there weren't, you would see a lot less $150,000 cars and more Prius on the road. VIP is about being seen and envied. As long as there is a velvet rope, people will want to pay to be on the inside of that barrier so they can feel better about themselves.

The example of the guy buying a Mercedes and not wanting the key is silly at best. A real example would be that the guy buys a mercedes and 6 months later he is bored of it and trades it on a Bentley but doesn't care when he loses half the value. The real baller is actually buying the image of being a VIP rather than the booze or the chair. He's buying the jealousy of those around him.......and that chick in the skimpy black dress.....all for a few hundred bucks. Such a deal!

And for those making the "personal responsibility" argument....isn't judgement the first thing to go when a person gets drunk? Are we really expecting the drunk to know when to cut himself off? That's like trying to convince him that the girl he wants to take home really is that ugly........he won't care until tomorrow.

I meant to imply that the way VIP/Bottle Service is presented will change....the cycle is here.

The only thing silly at best are people trying to analyze and decipher why ballers do the things they do...the real reason....is because they can. ;)

Is this a baller? http://www.cooljunkie.com/forum/miami-junkies/121418-promotor-hiv-ladies-get-tested.html