Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did u see MUZIK's top 50 djs ranking???

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by lafera1:

That list is pretty off, PVD is further down the list than josh wink and nick warren. Not to say that they are not good but come on. Anyhow none of the funky techno tribe are on there or most of the european dj's. I think the list represents the U.S. more than anything. peace,Steph cwm5.gif

Most of them don't play in the US or make rare appearances...

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

it.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

I don't know why a lot of people are slaggin Coxey. Have any of you guys seen this dj work? Just look at what he's doing the next time he spins at Twilo. He's technically one of the best djs out there, not to mention a very nice guy.

I prefer Coxy when he spins at Space. That's when u see his tru colors at his best. He plays anything from twisted, funky house all the way to techno and anything in between.

Brilliant!

His next set at Twilo is supposed to reflect just that.

PVD ranked 39. That's about right...

"What have you done for me lately????"

yeah your right, but i can never figure out why? I don't know how much he travels and spins. Thats gotta be it. But he is one of the best in the states you cant deny that. And did Junior make that list??? I'm gonna look back now but if he didn't than I dont even consider that a list.

whats the difference between 35th and 36th?? i mean, is it really that big of a deal??? is # 35 really better than #36, c'mon. what muzik mag should have dones is do the top 40, in no specific order, then the top 10 in some order. i haven't seen the issue, what were the criteria for the ranking.

i agree with mostly everybody, pvd should have been much higher than 39. he is in my top 10, that's all that matters to me, not this bullshit ranking.

where is dave ralph and sandra collins on this list, and max graham, dj icey, dj dan, tiesto, kimbal collins as well?

just out of curiousity, where is this mag published? might that have some influence on the rankings? cwm24.gif

This list is dead on accurate in my opinion. DT, sasha, diggers, pvd, cox, all about where they should be. Maybe people here in the city will wake up and smell the global coffee, that JP is really unknown, and PVD is good, but trance is dead and only the top listed dj's are truly breaking ground into the newer darker techy/house/trancy sound which is where everything is going. Saeed and Palash I feel should be on there because producers like them are championing this new sound, and are amazing dj's as well.

-Adam

------------------

"Children, come together, in the spirit, OF HOUSE" -Aaron Carl

MUZIK is published in the UK, so obviously europe has a bigger influence on the chart. A lot of people are complaining that PVD is ranked so low, but in England, his popularity has dropped considerably since LAST year. Gatecrasher was the "club of the year" in 1999. "Candy" Trance was popular LAST year (in Europe at least).... PVD is definately a great DJ. Just not one of the most popluar right now..

House and Tech-house, deep trance is what rules the clubs today.

That is why the list is the way it is...

Also, Junior might have made the list in '90-'92... not anymore

Johnathan Peters will never make it on the list. No one outside NYC has heard of him.

[This message has been edited by republix (edited 09-20-2000).]

Originally posted by republix:

MUZIK is published in the UK, so obviously europe has a bigger influence on the chart. A lot of people are complaining that PVD is ranked so low, but in England, his popularity has dropped considerably since LAST year. Gatecrasher was the "club of the year" in 1999. "Candy" Trance was popular LAST year (in Europe at least).... PVD is definately a great DJ. Just not one of the most popluar right now..

House and Tech-house, deep trance is what rules the today.

That is why the list is the way it is...

Also, Junior might have made the list in '90-'92... not anymore

Johnathan Peters will never make it on the list. No one outside NYC has heard of him.

i just think that even after one year, he went from int'l dj of the year, and rave reviews to 'candy' trance, and 'yestedays' music, he still deserves to be recognized as one of the worlds best. i love todays style, but this is an evolution, and i think pvd deserves a little more credit in helping it get to where it is today. i know that the rankings may not take in account 'yesterday' but down at 39, c'mon, his skills are still pretty tough. Hey, he still moves me, so i guess thats all that matters anyway. its not like oakie has done anything amazing in the past year, and he went down 2 spots.

since you say his popularity has decreased in europe, and this is a eurpean mag, i definitely think that influenced pvd's low ranking. (yes, along with not doing anything special this past year, although his 2 most recent twilo performances were amazing)

giv'em time, he'll be BAAAAACK!

not trying to be argumentative, just a friendly discussion.lol

Yeh this looks like a popularity contest...

If it wasn't Judge Jules (who couldn't mix a sound factory/Twilo, Deeper/CNYC, JP/DT argument to save his life), wouldn't be in the top 100000000.

People dont get so upset about where you DJ is, like nolimit says. Some people actually want to read top 50's but they are pointless really because everybody has different criteria.

Anyway everbody knows it's DT & Richie battling it out for top spot icon7.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

flag-UK.gif

Originally posted by crystalmethodny:

Where is Jonthan Peters?

*cough* *cough*

Muhahahah

What, are you kidding me?

Long live DT...

And Cox in my opinion is better then Oakey.

I have to agree Cox is much more talented than Oakey who is just a spoiled brat and only spins good when he feels like it.

REMEMBER people, this Top 50 List is a popularity contest. All of the DJ's in the top 50 are amazing. This list does not really show "who's better than who", it's really "who's more popular than who".

Everyone has different tastes in music. some like trance, some like house, some like DnB. It just happens to be that dark tech-house is really popular right now, so the DJ's that are known to play that genre are closer to the top 10.

I am a little biased though. I'm at Vinyl every friday with Danny, and I must say he definately deserves the NUMBER ONE spot! smile.gif

Let's stop saying who's better than who! They are all good.

Originally posted by blueangel:

Back off, kaspr!!! icon11.gif

What Rob said WAS NOT that Sasha is copying PVD!! Stop and think!! He's saying that on THIS board people are always going on and on about how great Sasha is (and he is) because he's always coming back with new experimental shit.

BlueAngel

Easy there - I was mostly kidding around with my post. But if you go back to some posts in the past Sasha has also been catching shit from people here(including you)for experimenting (going away from trance to dark house). Just now people are starting to appreciate his darkside. Also people are not criticizing PVD for experimenting they are saying he doesn't experiment enough - just sticks to the trance format. But, I haven't seen him at Twilo so I'll have to see for myself in November.

Yes! Seeing is believing! I saw it for myself with S&D and now I give can understand why people love Sasha. Especially after seeing him in Ibiza at Space . . . gotta respect him for his talents. Give respect where it's due and PVD definately deserve some.

BlueAngel

------------------

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

angel.gif

definitely very euro-centric. e.g. ariel (a kind of UK equivalent of JP)

how many of the top 50 have you guys seen live? how many have you heard on CD?

I've seen 11 live (oh well there's still some time to go) and 27 on CD. hard to judge them relatively without hearing them live as their live performances differ so much from their CDs. e.g. PVD - 100x better live than on CD.

------------------

==================================================

he he he he ha ha - but this is no laughing matter