Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's the deal with Hip Hop???

I am probably opening myself up for a housing project of abuse on this one, but seriously…what’s the deal with Hip Hop?

I’ve never witness anyone “Dance†to hip hop. Mostly all I see is a lot of jumping, @$$ swinging, and hard looks coupled with bad vibes being passed around the room.

Personally, I only spin House and Progressive Trance.

I’ve been DJing since 1983, and I do remember a time when Hip Hop was fun (Rob Base, 45 Kings, etc).

But now hip hop seems to have taken on a new attitude, and it’s not a pleasant one.

I’d love to hear everyone else’s thoughts on this one.

cwm7.gif

I def agree w/ u on this one...hip-hop culture is not about fun anymore for the most part...just listen to the lyrics and u can figure out for yourself what its all about...i used to be big on hip-hop years ago and that was all i used to spin but it has changed so much since then...it used to be all about good vibes and just plain fun but now....hmmmm well u guys all know what its about...nothing fun about it anymore...owell im glad i moved on to bigger and better things...ill leave the hip-hop for the young little thugs that live on my block...they seem to enjoy it...lol....

just my $1.50...

peace....

Hip-hop has definitely seen better days. There is no substance to 99% if the songs out today - with Methodman and a few others being the exceptions. What's up with the Cash Money Millionaires????? That has to be the worst shit I've ever heard. We need the old days with Tribe, De La Soul, Brand Nubien, Black Sheep, House of Pain, Das EFX, EPMD, and every other great rap act of the late 80's early 90's.

Originally posted by djchris:

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO...Chris.

And to think I'd get blasted for such a post.

Okay, so if 'today's' hip hop sucks...why the hell is it still getting airplay? Who in God's name could prefer the hip hop mix of some vocal tracs over JP's, Hex's, Vicious', Thunderpuss', etc????

I really miss being able to drop a hip hop trac without a 'thug fight' breaking out!

cwm5.gifcwm42.gif

Seriously, mainstream hip hop is whack as hell. Master P? Cash Money? Come on that is not hip hop that is some asshole screaming over some terrible booty beats. HOWEVER, if you look deeper, at underground, hip hop is still kickin hard. Everyone should check ok the OKPlayer tour on Oct 7 - the Roots, Common, Talib Kweli, etc. - that is what true hip hop is all about.

Hip hop is NOT - bragging how much money you have, how many hos you screw, how much drugs you used to sling. Hip hop IS - music to inspire and excite. Seriously, ignore the shit on MTV and give me some Gang Starr, Dilated Peoples or Jeru. That is where the real hip hop is at.

Guest crystalmethodny

True hip hop, in my opinion was definitely the old day stuff

Black Sheep

Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

The OLD Biggie

Nowadays its just like... hardcore thug rap...

What a shame, those days where phenom, stuff I grew up with.

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000:

The problem is that JP doesn't remix enough of the Cash Money Millionares or Eminen. If he starts to remix them then maybe, just maybe, hip-hop will make a comeback. smile.gif

JP remix...boom boom boom boom CRASH! Will the real slimshady-y-y-y-y-y-y...crash...will the real slim shady-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y...crash...will the real sim shady-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y- (underneath) really long snaredrum roll getting faster and louder then CRASH, BOOMP Please stand up, da-da-da-da-dada-oh-dada-da-da-da-da crashcrashcrashcrashcrash

- Pete

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

you can't blame hip hop for the turn it has taken...pretty simple cycle of events.

first you have your struggling hip hop arteeeest who talks about how life is rough and tough in his afro puff in the ghetto...but then that album blows up and he gets all that $$$ so he can't talk about being broke no mo'...so what's to do? Talk about buying bentleys to drive in the north indies in his next album of course.

I personally enjoyed the old DR. DRE CHRONIC album the best...swing down sweet cherry top and let me ride...aw yes...

I blame Puffy for inserting that slave mentality into all the rappers...at first it was cool and funny to boast about your iced out dog and iced out bentley and iced out ice cubes...now it's just rediculous.

Originally posted by crystalmethodny:

True hip hop, in my opinion was definitely the old day stuff

Black Sheep

Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

The OLD Biggie

Nowadays its just like... hardcore thug rap...

What a shame, those days where phenom, stuff I grew up with.

------sheds a tear-------------------

L.L. is like the only remnant from the hip hop of the ol' days....

-------sniffle------------------------

------------------

gohanssj2.gif

<I'm a Fire-starter>

--- When the Artful speaks

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

asthanos.gif

"Takin' out the suckas, and they don't know how I did it!!!"

munch.GIF

I sooooooo agree with all the posts that hip-hop is wack as hell now a days!! Except

de la souls "oooh" <- the one wit redman!

BUT what I was surprized about is nobody mentioned MY MAN Slick Rick...La-de-da-de

we likes to party,monalisa, teenage love!

I think outcast is pretty hot too!

------------------

~Hatred is the cowards revenge for being intimidated!~

})i({ SmilePimpette })i({

I seriously can't believe all the stuff I'm hearing about hip hop...Not everyone that listens to hip hop is a thug, thats a stereotype (just like when they say all that shit about juiceheads)...Its ridiculous!!!

How can you people say that good hip hop is gone? How bout Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang, Busta, Q-Tip (everyone is talking about Tribe as a group, Q-Tip is not bad on his own). I admit there is a lot of horrible hip hop out there, but I could say the same about house, alternative, or any other music...

------------------

Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened. :)

Yeah - well I'm gonna move to Texas and start doing Country/Hip-Hop combo.

I'll do a funky acoustic guitar riff and rap about how my bitch left me, and took my kids, my pick-up truck, and my beer - All for the steer with a bigger penis than me.

------------------

It's all in the music

Originally posted by schwingep:

JP remix...boom boom boom boom CRASH! Will the real slimshady-y-y-y-y-y-y...crash...will the real slim shady-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y...crash...will the real sim shady-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y- (underneath) really long snaredrum roll getting faster and louder then CRASH, BOOMP Please stand up, da-da-da-da-dada-oh-dada-da-da-da-da crashcrashcrashcrashcrash

- Pete

Haha, that was great. I love JP and I could hear the actual music from your booms and crashes. Really funny smile.gif

definitly agree with the slick rick trip.

epmd, dre, snoop, but what about krs-1, redman, busta bust, and if you don't remember UTFO then go home...lol

I loved it when spinning was scratching these sonds together... that took some mad skill..lol

I was at a party on new years in SoHo and requested a childrens story from slick rick.. it took me like 8 requests, but when the dj played it he tore it up.... best cuttin of that song ever

Originally posted by sextcy4u:

I seriously can't believe...How can you people say that good hip hop is gone? How bout Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang, Busta, Q-Tip...

You're kidding right? The artists you've named are the most irritating of all! Busta & Jay Z? They are the PRIME examples of how badly hip-hop has deteriorated.

DJChris...Country hip hop? I'm comin' to Tx with ya. But i thought you WANTED your wife to run off with a Steer????

cwm32.gif

Originally posted by schwingep:

- Pete

ROFLMAO cwm29.gif I guess seeing is believing!

~*Jam*~

------------------

Non esco con Tizio, Caio e Sempronio. Forse Caio!