Clubplanet Nightlife Community

HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU TIP A BARTENDER?

petp

If you come to my club I would never serve you & you would get your butt kicked out so fast you wouldn't even know what happened!! Why don't you stop by on Friday for Open Turntable night at TWIRL...Ask for me, my name is Melanie...Then you can ask for the manager...I bet you don't have the balls to show up! Let's tango buddy!!!!

SOMEONE BROUGHT UP THE TOPIC OF TIPPING, AND I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW WHAT OTHER PEOPLE TIP.

I'M ALWAYS OVERTIPPING, SOMETIMES I TIP HALF OF WHAT THE DRINK COST.

SOMETIMES I TASTE THE DRINK FIRST AND THEN DECIDE HOW GOOD OF A TIP TO LEAVE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PROPER TIP OR BAR ETTIQUITTE?

Guest crystalmethodny

Vejita is basically right on target with that.

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Originally posted by vejita:

I generally tip $1 per drink, more for multiple drinks. And if they comp me, I tip them about 50% of what I would have paid in full.

agreed. and if you get a bottle of beer for say 3.75, a quater is an acceptable tip, but a dollar is always well appreciated. its also ok to round off the tip to a 5-spot if you get a handful of drinks and 5 bucks is approx. 20% of the total. same goes for $10, $20, $50, and $100 tips.

when cashing out a tab, use the 20% rule, or apply the buck or two per drink-- mixed drinks should get more if mixed properly. and never forget to give extra if you asked and received something special.

*do* overtip when the bartender is obviously hustling and do *not* overtip when they are obviously slacking, especially if u r overtipping only bcause u think the slacker is cute. and *only* stiff someone if you are truely unappreciative of the service theyve given you. after all, even a half-assed job earns some appreciation if you walk away with what you came for.

------------------

i love music!

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 09-26-2000).]

I'm a big tipper,want the bartenders to remember who I am.and you know what ,it works.I don't have to tell them what I want, they know,and some time the drink is on them.when u tip good,words gets around in the club and the bartender will treat you like a King,well in my case a QUEEN.

Ciao

------------------

Anthony

anthony!! LOL, you go Miss THANG!! I agree with anthony. Usually, I'll give $2 per drink if I'm alone and not planning on staying for a while. But if I know I'm there for a while then I'll over tip the first couple of rounds . . . and be nice to them. In return they always end up taking care of me a lil' bit better.

BlueAngel

------------------

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."

- Henry David Thoreau

angel.gif

I happen to be a bartender and I must say that vejita is spot on. A buck a drink is fine although in this day of the ten dollar cosmo at many places this is only ten percent. That is okay although I believe it was sirdante that pointed out you should tip twenty percent when settling a tab. One thing sirdante, it is NOT acceptable to tip a quarter if your beer cost $3.75. You just look cheap.

Peace

I usually tip about 25% of the total in the begining of the night as the night goes on and mycash flow is dwindling it lowers alittle bit.But I always give at least a dollar or two for a drink.

By the way i asked this yesterday, but I don't think anyone really saw, does anyone know a bar,club, lounge in NYC that is looking for a bartender? Thanks.

I'm a bartender too, vejita is right on, sirdante--a quarter--NEVER LEAVE CHANGE ON THE BAR!! I'd rather get stiffed than get a 50 cent tip! I over-tip only cause I know how it feels to be behind the bar--anyway you always get treated better if you're not cheap! And yes you should tip when you buy water!! cwm12.gif

Melmer, you better be up there in your Twirl on Friday because you bet your fat ass I'll be there. You better be shaking for you job because if you refuse to serve me because i'm tipping you 25Cents, (which is what you deserve) I can Guarranteee you that you will be fired. And believe me, your manager will listen to me, if she/he knows what's good for them.

It is not a matter of being cheap. It has nothing to do with cheap. It's a matter of principal. People in other industries ( fast food) work for minimum wage and get no tips and their job is far less glamarous than the one of a bartender. Yet you don't see them complaining that people don't tip them. ALso, even if I tip you a freaking quarter, you probably serve 100 drinks and hour, 100 x .25 = $25 that's damn better than minimum wage.

Originally posted by sirdante:

well NYers,

sorry. i forgot who i was talking to. up here where a quarter still means something, its fair to leave a quater tip at a cheap beer place. here you can still get a 12 oz bottle of beer for $1.75 and a draft for $.75.

that's true, about the .25 i went to this dingy lil' hole in the wall in LI last saturday! people were leaving .25-.50 tips; get this: Bacardi & Coke only $3.50 i was like WTF can i live here? haha biggrin.gif but seriously.

Dialogue to follow:

i left my usual $1 per drink plus i left the 50cents;

the bartender was like "hey miss you forget your dollar!"

"naaa man, that's for you"

"when you want another drink, come back to me"

WHAT?!? for a friggin' dollar.

the last drink i bought i left him a $10 tip, i think i made his whole friggin' YEAR! haha smile.gif

that's all

------------------

things to see, people to do... hehe

Smiley-13.gif

Originally posted by shterenta:

It is not a matter of being cheap. It has nothing to do with cheap. It's a matter of principal. People in other industries ( fast food) work for minimum wage and get no tips and their job is far less glamarous than the one of a bartender. Yet you don't see them complaining that people don't tip them. ALso, even if I tip you a freaking quarter, you probably serve 100 drinks and hour, 100 x .25 = $25 that's damn better than minimum wage.

That's why I don't work @ a fast food place! It is a fun job, but it's not always glam!! Please stop w/ the change thing, I hear you about good service but change is NEVER acceptable at a NYC club/bar.