Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is it ok to request the dj a track you really want to hear???

I dont mind when people ask, then "leave it at that" but sometimes people go to far, hang around, waiting, asking again, telling you stories about how there leaving soon, its there friends birthday, ect. smile.gif

------------------

Use email DJmikeDR@aol.com

PM way too slow!

Originally posted by mrnice:

normally the ony request is that you don't make one.

I think that is ridiculous. If you are paying money to get into a club, you should be able to request a song, and the DJ should respect your request.

Usually I'm so wrapped up in the music that I'm not even thinking of any other song I'd like to hear... and then I think that the DJs are usually pretty engaged in what they are doing. My ex was one and I didn't even talk to him while he as playing his sets (just some smiling and sign language smile.gif).

------------------

an1701.gif

Originally posted by cgm:

I think that is ridiculous. If you are paying money to get into a club, you should be able to request a song, and the DJ should respect your request.

You're not at a restaurant. What you've paid for to enter the club, I hope, is to hear the music the DJ is playing. A DJ isn't just playing for you, but for everyone else who is there. The best DJs feel the vibe and energy in the space and play accordingly.

Just like you don't make special requests from actors performing a play, you don't invade upon the DJ's work to make demands on what they should be spinning.

That's my opinion, some might feel differently, but I can't imagine ever asking a DJ to play something particular while they're in the middle of a set.

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"Solitude gives birth to the original in us, beauty unfamiliar and perilous - to poetry." - Thomas Mann

THIS IS CRAZY!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE U GUYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE A DJ IS GONNA TAKE A REQUEST.ITS LIKE TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO DO THERE JOB!!!!!!!

A GOOD DJ KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HES GONNA PLAY IN HIS SET BEFORE HAND AND DOESNT NEED SOME RANDOM PERSON TO FUCK HIS SET UP WITH SOME REQUEST....

Originally posted by clubhead32:

THIS IS CRAZY!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE U GUYS ACTUALLY BELIEVE A DJ IS GONNA TAKE A REQUEST.ITS LIKE TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO DO THERE JOB!!!!!!!

A GOOD DJ KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HES GONNA PLAY IN HIS SET BEFORE HAND AND DOESNT NEED SOME RANDOM PERSON TO FUCK HIS SET UP WITH SOME REQUEST....

exactly !

------------------

Have A Nice Day!

Smiley-13.gif

Originally posted by clubhead32:

.........if it is in fact a good DJ. I think it is misunderstood here. When I am at a good club with a good DJ, I would not even think to make a request. The type of requests that I am talking about are when you are at a smaller club (ex. clubs in NJ). I think it is okay to make a request then.

Not OK; leave the record selection to the professionals.

But then again, we always get so many laughs at the expense of song-requesters... cwm16.gif

Hugs,

BSG

-----------------

Just saying no to drama.

blueskygirl@djcentral.com

aolim blueskygirl2001

[This message has been edited by blueskygirl (edited 01-07-2001).]

I would never....

Well, the only time I remember requesting a track was back in October. A bunch of us requested 'touch me' to diggers. He made no response back. We never thought he would play it and sure enough an hour later he dropped it as one of his encores.

Ok,

After reading everybody's replies I gotta say that definitely a DJ's set is his art to put together and as such it's unfair to make requests of them---that would be getting in his way.

Nonetheles, if I knew this person--I don't think there's anything wrong for him or her to play one of your favorite songs. Specially if this dj used to play that track all the time. Unfortunately, I don't know him but Im a regular there.

Anyway, from now on I'll always stay from the dj booth.

[This message has been edited by goclick (edited 01-07-2001).]

the only dj's you should be making requests to are cd djs for example.. wedding, house party, grad parties, happy hours... etc.. along that line.. even bar dj's.. but if your in a venue that holds more then 500 people.. chances are your gonna insult the dj if you ask him to play a certain song..

and dont be upset if they dont play it.. a dj only carrys some music that they inted on playing in the night.. if a dj had to carry around all his music he mine as well load the uhall, and have runners, to run to the truck and grab crates for him..

------------------

~LiPz~

aim:LikmyLipz

"if g-d hates freaks so much, then why did he create them? Freaks are like gormet dishes in SoHo restaurants. Cucuembers with lemon mousse on salmon baked with chocolate. It dosen't make sence. Its inedible. But some chef keeps comming up with more and more bizarre combinations. And theres always people to eat them."

[This message has been edited by LikmyLipz (edited 01-07-2001).]

I used to go to a small dance club where the DJ would put out a clipboard with paper if he felt like entertaining requests. That's the only situation I can see where it's cool.

Otherwise, I put my trust in the DJ.

------------------

"Buckle up"

-she knows who she is.

AOL IM: petrol01

Originally posted by blueskygirl:

Not OK; leave the record selection to the professionals.

But then again, we always get so many laughs at the expense of song-requesters... cwm16.gif

Hugs,

BSG

-----------------

Just saying no to drama.

blueskygirl@djcentral.com

aolim blueskygirl2001

[This message has been edited by blueskygirl (edited 01-07-2001).]

I know what you mean, request are pretty funny!! Yeah, as everyone said, you can't be asking DJ's for requests, they couldn't give a fuck. They play what they are feeling, they are taking the crowd on a ride, and they are in the driver's seat.

------------------

A bag of KB's, $60

A glass bowl, $85

A lighter, $ 1

GETTING HIGH, PRICELESS!!

its cool to ask, but its not cool to expect it to be played. back when the twilo dj booth was by the power bar, s&d both used to take napkins with requests written on them, and i know for a fact they played some of the requests. but i'm sure if you request beat it by mj they aint gonna play it...

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Well I have to agree with CGM, in the sense that if I'm going to a smaller club, say Metro, and the DJ, not mentioning any names, plays crappy, commercial music and nearly no one is dancing, then why the hell wouldn't you request some better muusic??

Actually can u believe PVD used to take certain request from people who stayed for his set after 7 am.....remember last year when Twilo had the dj over near the power bar where people have a close up to the dj...people who stayed till the end usually hands him a piece of paper requesting songs they want him to play....eventually he does play some of the requested tracks and all the old tracks during his last hour, this was early last year....i once requesting him to play one of my classic fav "Under the Water" Brother Brown and he dropped this on his last track he played that night.....

too bad he doesnt do this anymore....=(

It seems that the only songs people request are KTU garbage....And the only time i honor their requests are when im doing their sorority formal. And they end up asking for songs that I know they want to hear anyway.

Stupid drunk sorority whores dont realize that the DJ knows that they want to hear cheesy garbage and nothing better, so they go up and ask 100 times and plead that they are "leaving soon" and need to hear their song asap....meanwhile the song youre playing is 132 bpm and the song they want is 138 bpm and it just doesnt work like that, but if you stop one song and play the next, you get booed for not mixing tracks.

So basically you cant win frown.gif

Bottom line: a DJ who can shut the door to his booth and ignore all ridiculous people is the luckiest DJ there is....requests are garbage no matter where you are...If everyone wants to DJ, they should take the time to learn the art

fuck $.02...you can have a nickel

BG

------------------

ruhardhouse@yahoo.com

IBclubbin@aol.com

email for gig info

I don't mind taking requests when I'm spinning (because it's at a bar) but at a big club forget it. I would never ask a DJ at a big club to play something - it's insulting.

I really hate it when people get pissed when you don't play the song they asked for and they keep coming up to the booth to bother you. It's very annoying and distracting and usually makes me screw up mixing.

-Trancer

If you do feel the need to ask for a request, DONT do it when the dj has his headphones on. I personally hate it when people come up to me and start poking my shoulder while I'm trying to match up the beats. Thats a good way not to get your song played.

So some friends dragged me out to Paul Van Dyk some months ago (I don't remember exactly when, but he was in the old DJ booth). He got into his eventhough the club's still full of people I'm gonna look all uninterested and play shit tracks like Alanis Morissette and not bother to mix beats mode. I stopped by and asked him to spin Forbidden Fruit. He didn't look to happy with me, but screw him anyway. Only time I've ever requested a track.