Clubplanet Nightlife Community

hello....and does everyone here listen to trance?

whatsup new york city!

I've been reading this board the past week. i used to live in NY 2 years ago, now i'm in LA (trying desperately to get back to NY--don't get me started).

anyway, back then NY was the place for deep house, garage. i mean at every bar, there was some funky shit playing. I used to go to Life (R.I.P. Life!) VIP room thursdays a lot, also went to Chaos, Cheetah (before it got popular), went to Junior's last show at palladium, checked out tunnel, twilo, SF.

in la, trance is just huge, it's been huge for like 3 years. all the mainstream clubs play it. don't get me wrong, when i'm clubbing, trance is aight. but i miss kicking it in a bar and having like house, downtempo playing.

now reading this board i see that everyone's into trance (like PVD, oakenfold, sasha&dig). nothing against trance but...what happened to the NY i knew 2 years ago? i'm sorry, but trance is just played out like yo grandma's underwear. slow build, crescendo, drop the 150 bpm bassline, wave your glowstick, kick that kid on the floor out of the way. anyone else feel me? this is not a diss...i just remember NY being more down with its garage roots. am i on the wrong message board? where are all the househeads? Doc martin, junior sanchez, derrick carter, dj disciple, dj sneak, frankie knuckles-OG. is NY keepin it real?

peace from ghetto hollywood

Uhhh.....

Centro-Fly Thursdays w/the Subliminal Label(Morillo, Carter, Ani Phearce)

Twilo Sat/Sun - Junior Vasquez

the topper.....

Vinyl Fridays - Danny Tenaglia owns it.

How's that for house music.......

and btw, Sasha and Digweed aren't trance DJs......thy do spin some tracks with trance elements but it is not the "slow build, crescendo, drop the 150 bpm bassline" like you describe........they are more on the side of progressive house........maybe you should listen to them spin before you go bombing on what they don't even play.......

Mikey

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender

I agree! i love dirty funky boogy down till sunrise house. nothin like sensual house to soothe tha soul! Hey back2ny, u know, Roger Sanchez, DT, Emerson,Yousef, shit, i forgot Dimitry from Paris, i mean its heaven music. u r right, a lot of trance is played out, but u cant go wrong with s+d or oakey, trust me. but we definitely need more house mouse! i miss that bump n grind feelin, the awesome vocals, whohoo! btw, whatever happened to Life? i was walkin by the village a few days ago, and its all shut down n shit, i thought it was the bomb before , moviestars n shit, wonder what happened , ciao -mike

------------------

kroshka moya, ya po tebe skuchayu

Yeh there is a pretty big house contingant on the board.

And it has to be said Danny Tenaglia owns much of NY and the world.. but it's more of

As an outsider looking in the word that best describes the home grown New York sound is dark.

And the subliminal crew keep it funky... oh and then body and soul.. what can you say.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

bsb2.GIF

Yea, you know the grass is always greener on the other side. If you've been clubbing in nyc your whole life, then you're inevitably going to be curious about those trance brits. But we do and always will embrace our dear old nyc house, Junior, JV, Peters, DT, Boris, its never gonna stop.

------------------

vip.gif

herbert_kornfeld_t.gif

I can't live without Trance! I like deep funky house to start an evening and maybe for the last couple of hours, but when I'm fully charging it has to be Trance with some Hard House thrown in there. It just takes me to a level I can't reach listening to anything else.

I'm moving to NY in the coming months and am looking forward to some huge nights! Where should I go to satisfy my Trance addiction?

werd...NY is still reppin jack's house...Life shut down I HEARD b/c neighbors were complaining about the noise...you live in the village, waddya expect, rite? most likely, they couldn't renew their dance license cuz rudy is cracking down...but I don't know the whole story, I'm not that dialed in.

I respect sasha & dig, they're beyond a simple classification, and I HAVE heard them spin at the Palace afterhours in LA, they spun TRANCE, even though I don't have the luxury like you lucky mofos of having them as a monthly resident. but they probably spin progressive house in NY only...but their northern exposure stuff is like almost ambient/trance/can't classify!

don't get me wrong, trance is fun, and the builds will get you higher than fuck...but I don't know, as i get older (and take less drugs) i'm digging the funky, disco, R&B influenced soul house more.

btw the meaty cheesy boys are the jam

you are SO buggin'.

i'm trying my ass off to move back to l.a.; i went to school there for 4 years, then moved back here after i graduated (i'm from nyc), and it was the biggest mistake of my life. i'm eversoglad to hear that trance is big in l.a., 'cause house seems to be dominating the nyc clubs as far as i can tell and jungle and d-n-b seem to be ominously looming over the nyc rave scene, ready to take over.

i went to see pvd this past weekend @ twilo and, although people on the board wouldn't help me define exactly what he played, it wasn't at all like his last album (which is what i know best), which is trance, baby. he sounded hella housey to me.

house is what i wanna hear when i wanna be a diva, get loose, or just let it all out, but it doesn't have the emotional depth that trance does, for me. so when i wanna dig deep, i need my trance. i also like to have both on the same night, usually, with house warming me up and trance getting me down to the nitty-gritty.

hey, kids, do we have to choose BETWEEN house and trance? i think each has its place.

Other than Vicious and Tenaglia, I don't feel any of the other "hometown" DJs we have in NY........Peters is so inconsistent, Junior is too fluffy at times and inconsistent, and Boris is just not my style at all........not to say these guys aren't good but I believe there are many other DJs out there that could eat them for breakfast......if the clubs like Exit and Sound Factory would bring in some new talent with all the fucking money they make I think they would be great clubs.......having the same DJ week in and week out is just unacceptable with all the DJs out there.......Danny @ Vinyl is another story because....well, it's Danny but these other guys could be replaced or at least subsituted for on some weeks.......this is my opinion anyway......

Mikey

------------------

"Some I consider my girlfriends, and some I just consider" - John Bender

LA is somewhat behind the times. Nobody ever told them that underground scene moved beyond trance two years ago.

Anyway, head up north and experience some San Francisco House...

Jeno

Garth

Miguel Migs

Julius Papp

Hipp-E and Halo

Simon

These guys are sick!

Christopher Lawrence sucks balls.