Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Heavy use of ecstasy damages memory: study

Heavy use of ecstasy damages memory: study

Canadian Press

Toronto — Long-term use of the popular club drug ecstasy damages "everyday" memory, a pair of Toronto researchers reported Tuesday.

The study is the first to follow a group of ecstasy users over time and it shows an erosion in their episodic and prospective memory after a year, said co-author Konstantine Zakzanis, a professor of neuroscience and psychology at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus.

Episodic memory comes into play when, for instance, you try to recall an item from a newscast viewed earlier in the day or relay a story you have recently heard. Prospective memory is the recall you use when you need to remember to do a task, such as set your alarm clock.

"We don't know whether or not there are any consequences of using it just a few times. But we do know from our study that the more one uses it, the greater probability that you will have some problems in terms of memory," Prof. Zakzanis said.

The study adds to a growing body of evidence that ecstasy, which has been blamed for deaths in Canada, takes a neurological toll on users. It was published in Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

Ecstasy is the street name for methylenedioxymethamphetamine — also known as MDMA — which providers users with a long lasting euphoric high by stimulating brain activity.

"You could almost think of it as a Prozac multiplied by 100," he said, referring to the popular anti-depressant.

Late last month two British researchers reported at a meeting of the British Psychological Society that ecstasy use may be linked to damage in the areas of the brain that deal with planning and remembering daily activities.

And last summer, a Scottish researcher reported that ecstasy could damage users's body clocks, making them feel permanently jet-lagged.

Prof. Zakzanis and his colleague, Donald Young of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, recruited 15 frequent ecstasy users for their study. The participants — ranging in age from 17 to 31 — were predominantly (80 per cent) male. On average, they took ecstasy 2.4 times a month, though some took as many as eight hits a month.

"There was sort of a threshold," Prof. Zakzanis said. "So once people were getting into about the eight-hits-per-month range, those are the ones who were quite strikingly doing poorly on the test. The ones who weren't doing it as often weren't as bad as those that were."

The researchers did not provide the subjects with the drug or ask them to take the drug. "These were people who were doing it long before we came along," Prof. Zakzanis said.

Subjects were put through a neuropsychological test at the beginning of the trial and a year later. Each time they were asked to abstain from all drugs for at least two weeks before the evaluation. The researchers tested their blood and urine for drugs to ensure subjects had lived up to the promise.

People who use ecstasy often experience sleep deprivation, which can affect cognitive performance. One of the reasons the researchers asked subjects to cleanse their systems of drugs was to ensure they had at least seven nights of adequate sleep before they performed the tests.

During one, they were read a short passage of prose and asked to recall as much of it as possible, both immediately and a short time later. They were also shown series of pictures of faces and objects and were later asked to pick the cards they'd seen from a larger group.

In a third, an alarm was set to go off in 20 minutes. Participants were told to ask a particular question when the alarm sounded.

The subjects were brought back a year later and put through the same battery of tests. In some of the tasks — for instance the ability to remember the details of a passage of prose — participants showed a marked decline in ability, Prof. Zakzanis said.

"We saw the greatest sort of deficits in that area, story recall it's called," he said. "They have a problem getting that information into their brains."

Having longitudinal data from the same set of subjects provides solid evidence of the conclusion, Prof. Zakzanis said.

"Because we followed them over a year and we saw that all of them had decreases in their test scores, nobody improved, we could lay a little bit of a safer bet on the fact that ecstasy is probably monkeying around with our serotonin receptors in our brain and therefore our memory."

About half the participants were so disturbed by the findings that they swore off ecstasy, Prof. Zakzanis said. That provides the researchers with an ideal opportunity to look at another aspect of the puzzle — "whether these are permanent or reversible damages."

Prof. Zakzanis and Mr. Young plan to do a third evaluation on the subjects to look at that question later this year.

Damn, I'm fuct.

If this shit happens after one year, I've been doing it for 7 years.

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to.

My friend said he saw something on PBS that showed the brain of someone who did E only 1 time and they said there was damage already.

Oh well, it's too late for me.

Peace,

------------------

Darrell G.

haze

HazePromotions@Gateway.net

AOL IM HazeDG13

(201)381-6987

Thursdays - NV Lounge and Saci

Fridays -Sound Factory, EXIT and Chaos

Saturdays - The World and EXIT

Originally posted by darrellg:

Damn, I'm fuct.

If this shit happens after one year, I've been doing it for 7 years.

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to.

My friend said he saw something on PBS that showed the brain of someone who did E only 1 time and they said there was damage already.

Oh well, it's too late for me.

Peace,

Wait, what are we talking about?

Oh yeah...I think it's too late for a lot of us!

cwm32.gif

------------------

You're only young once

THATS ALL GREAT AND SHIT BUT WHAT OTHER DRUGS ARE THESE KIDS DOING ALSO? IVE BEEN DOING E FOR ALITTLE OVER A YEAR NOW AND I KNOW MY MIND ISNT WHAT IT WAS WORTH BEFORE I STARTED DROPPING PILLS, BUT I ALSO SMOKE MASS QUANTITIES OF TREES ALSO... DOESNT THAT BURN UP YOUR MEMORY ALSO???????? I BELIEVE MOST OF THIS ARTICLE BUT REALLY I DOUBT THESE PEOPLE THEY "TESTED" WERENT ONLY DOING E!!!!!

JUNIOR cwm41.gif

Originally posted by junior0320:

THATS ALL GREAT AND SHIT BUT WHAT OTHER DRUGS ARE THESE KIDS DOING ALSO...

Actually, this is one of the few truly "controlled" studies I've ever heard about. If you re-read it, they supposedly tested the subjects to ensure that they didn't take any other drugs during the trial.

The one thing that the Scottish study didn't factor in is that the reason that the subjects' body clocks might have been out of whack isn't necessarily a direct result of X. I bet most of the subjects took it at night and then had to go about their daily tasks (i.e. work, school) afterwards. I doubt they had the subjects take X in the morning, when most people are used to being awake.

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

well my memory is totally shot but i think it was kind've on its way out b/f i started doing e and i think it was due to the pot smokage....but whatever. i'm happy in my own little world, and just keep in mind - it's never lost....just misplaced.

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a bunny with spring fever!!!

uknj@aol.com

just EIGHT pills a MONTH??

i am FUCT! goodbye fair world . . .

and after a YEAR?

yeah ok, so my whole life has gone down the tubes.

boy, i sound upset huh? guess i cant remember how to be upset . . .

but this does remind me - Dean i STILL cant remember WTF i told you to email me about . . . so maybe it IS getting to me wink.gif

luv,

brandie

------------------

brandiefinal.jpg

loves2cox@netscape.net

AIM: loves2cox

Um...i began to read it.....but got distracted. cwm32.gif

------------------

-----"Embracing the goddess energy within yourselves will bring all of you to a new understanding, and value of life. A vision, that inspires you to live, and love, on planet earth. Like a priceless jewel, buried in dark layers of soil and stone.... earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time. Perhaps you are aware of those who watch over your home. And experience in this place to visit, and play with reality. You are becoming aware of yourself...as a Game master.......... Trippintrance64sigcopy.jpglovepeacetwilo.jpg

AIM: fantom0680

A.RRiezgo@verizon.net <----- NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS!!!

Dude, I don't need some article to tell me that ecstasy use causes brain damage. The way I've felt since I woke up on Sunday morning was evidence enough that X causes drAiN BraMaGe!!! cwm37.gif

------------------

"And that is what empower-meant when she said; you'll miss me baby but I'm not going anywhere." - mbd