Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what is a Phazon?

sorry if this is a stoopid question...

------------------

"Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."

"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

"Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire."

If you really don't know, then there's my attempt to answer...

It's the famous sound system that Twilo used... Some may disagree, but many say it's the best sound system in the world. I think there's something to do with people at Twilo making it for Twilo. I believe Steve Nash is the main man behind this. I read on the Twilo board that price tag is $750,000 plus maintenance fees.

Similar versions have been installed in a few other clubs around the world.

Go to http://www.twilo.com , point your cursor to the center, and then click on "PHAZON"

Originally posted by jeffkaos:

sorry if this is a stoopid question...

Phazon is the phenomenon that occurs when deanna11 spreads her c-lips and unleashes a cataclysmic queef-bomb which reverberates through her asshole causing a chod spazm which interlocks her vagina and creates a high pitched 'whistle' to the like of 'Errppp ERRppppppp Reeee BREeeeee BReeeeeeee ' almost siren-eqsue if you will

Originally posted by buttcheex:

Phazon is the phenomenon that occurs when deanna11 spreads her c-lips and unleashes a cataclysmic queef-bomb which reverberates through her asshole causing a chod spazm which interlocks her vagina and creates a high pitched 'whistle' to the like of 'Errppp ERRppppppp Reeee BREeeeee BReeeeeeee ' almost siren-eqsue if you will

cwm24.gifcwm24.gifcwm24.gifcwm31.gif

------------------

IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT BUT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE!

aol IM- djfabioc

EXIT -G U E S T L I S T guestlis@optonline.net

Discoball.jpg

cwm19.gif

------------------

if at first you don't succeed, fuck the world and smoke some weed

Originally posted by dw:

If you really don't know, then there's my attempt to answer...

It's the famous sound system that Twilo used... Some may disagree, but many say it's the best sound system in the world. I think there's something to do with people at Twilo making it for Twilo. I believe Steve Nash is the main man behind this. I read on the Twilo board that price tag is $750,000 plus maintenance fees.

Similar versions have been installed in a few other clubs around the world.

Go to <A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.twilo.com" TARGET=_blank&gt;http://www.twilo.com</A> , point your cursor to the center, and then click on "PHAZON"

Actually, someone I know just dug up this article with and Phazon is NOT a sound system.. The way I understand it it's the name of the company that installs and works on these systems. But it's NOT a brand name for equipment. I thought it was its own brand but it's not. They use all the regular equipment..

--------------------------------------

copied from "Club Systems International" magazine...

The Midas Touch

The mere mention of master installer Steve Dash's name is enough to make a new club the world's latest hotspot. But for all his mysteriousness, one of the modern clubbing's most valuable players is down-to-earth and modest.

BY Hank Russell

To many in the club community, Steve Dash is something of a deity when it comes to sound installations. He rebuffs such lofty praise, saying he's just doing his job. Together, he and partner Phil Smith formed Phazon, which operates out of famed New York City nightclub Twilo. There, he develops and tests all of his equipment before it goes into any other club. His installation roster includes clubs like Fabric in London, Sound Factory in New York, Guvernment in Toronto and Crobar in Miami. Club Systems International was able to talk to this very busy man about his quarter-century career in the business.

I spoke with DJ Angel Moraes, and he said you're kind of like a god.

[laughs] I've been doing it for so long...you do something long enough, you get pretty good at it, I guess. I keep up with the technology; I get all the information tied in with the technology as it changes - hardware as well as software, and that helps. We just try to do a really good job for everybody. We don't necessarily use the most expensive equipment you can buy, but what we do use we feel is very reliable and sounds really good for the price.

What products do you use? We use Crown, JBL, Rane, KT, BSS; we use some QSC and EAW. For most of the speaker cabinets we build, we use all JBL components. JBL builds some cabinets for us as well. We've been using old Urei 1620 mixers, which we've been rebuilding because they sound the best, and we add a crossfader to them - that keeps people happy. We're coming out with a brand new mixer - we're maybe 4-6 months away - which will be a pretty nice, very substantial piece. Everybody's sort of waiting for it. We stick with the Ureis and rebuild them, but this new one should be quite substantial, we're hoping. And we also make a lot of our own processing equipment.

When you design a sound system, do you plan it out mentally where the amps should go or do you consult with the club owners first?

Well, obviously consult with the owner, and where the amps go doesn't really bother me, as long as it's environmentally safe, in other words, it's not a hot box. There has to be an environmentally decent place to put them, otherwise you're going to spend a whole lot of money and have a whole lot of trouble. So we advise [owners] to make sure that there's plenty of ventilation, air conditioning, fans or air movement of some sort and proper electrical services to make sure the amplifiers are getting what they need. As far as the DJ booth, we always advise as to where it should go, but that is usually a client's decision. We'll advise, but we'll put it where they want it. As far as the dancefloor system is concerned, we do all that. "How's our dancefloor?" is what they say and we take it from there. We use software to calculate what we need, and prior experience. But the software absolutely helps a lot. We definitely go with that and then we make changes from prior experience. And if the room is acoustically poor - I mean really poor - and needs some type of treatment, we advise them to do that and if they don't do it, we probably would not get involved. We've done rooms that were racquetball clubs [laughs] and you know the echo. You can't put a sound system in there, so it has to be treated and if they refuse to treat it, we walk away. You can spend gobs of money and it's not going to do you any good, so that's where we stand our ground. We need to have not a perfect room, but it needs to be acceptable.

Overall, how would you describe your relationships with the owners and the DJs? Have they ever complained to you about sound quality or placement?

No, not at all. I mean, like any other sound company that does a job, there's always a budget. You're always going to get somebody complaining about something. We try to provide the best we can and that's as good as you can get. If the man doesn't have enough money to make what the DJ would consider optimal, then he doesn't do it. People will walk in and say "Hey this isn't this and this isn't that," but the bottom line is, maybe the client didn't have the funds. We basically make sure we have a decent budget to work with; under a certain number, we don't get involved because we can't do anything. Equipment today is ungodly expensive; very, very expensive. Under a certain budget, we just say, "You need to call somebody else." Right now, we're building digital monitor systems for the DJ booths and they're very expensive. They're awesome and we sell a lot of them, but not everybody buys them because they're very expensive. We put one here at Twilo in our new booth and everybody loves it. It's pretty much like buying a mini-sound system for a small club. I mean, it's pretty substantial and it's only two speakers, but they're unbelievable. But they are pricey and not everyone can afford them, so we'll wind up using standard monitors, which are actually very good, but we keep upgrading and we offer all this stuff to our clients. We are Twilo. Our sound company is Phazon, but we are here at Twilo. Whatever we sell, we use. We never use anything unless it's been in this club or at least six months.

Twilo's a great club and it's got, in my opinion, a very good sound system. People say that's the best they've ever heard, but I don't know. I don't go out, but that's what people say about it and I built it and it's good. It's very good. It's kind of like our proving ground. We test everything here. We add different things, we change the software, we change the hardware, we change the speakers when something new comes out. We try it and it's helped us. You need something like this. You can't always go by a laboratory test because that's usually under perfect conditions and you have to have a place that's gonna beat the shit out of everything, and then see what happens, and that's what this place is. But all the DJs, I must admit, they enjoy playing here and they respect the equipment; they treat it right and it does deliver what they want. We've had good luck with it. The only other thing you can say about any of these sound systems anywhere is that the man behind the control - the DJ - can make it or break it. If he operates it the way it should be operated, it's going to sound good. If he operates it the way it shouldn't be operated, it's not going to sound good.

How many installs do you do a year? It's been quite busy. We used to do maybe one or two, then it became like four or five, and I think it's gonna be four or five for this year as well. So we don't do hundreds. Some guys do 30 or 40; we don't do that. We do four or five maybe and that's a lot for us. I tell clients it takes us between six and 10 weeks to build everything, test it and then re-pack it. I mean, a lot of our work is overseas, so you have to pack it a certain way. It's got to be on crates, it's good to be well packed, it's got to be labeled properly, so it does take a lot of time.

Have you encountered any city ordinances or regulations that have made your job difficult?

Usually, the owner takes care of problems like that. It's our job to make [the system] happen; it's their job to contain it. The bottom line is you can always turn it down. If you can't contain it and people are freaking out on you, you can turn it down: We can go in there and EQ it at a lower, adjust it until there's less power and so on and so forth. We don't like to do that because, basically, the power we do provide is adequate for the space. We're not going to give you a Crown 5000 and put it on your tweeters [laughs]. It's been done [more laughs]. We're not gonna do that, but, you know, a lot of people will do that. We give you enough power to make it substantial and make it work really well and sound good and kick and that's it. But, then again, if there's is an ordinance or if they're too loud, then it has to be dealt with and we try not to get involved with that. That's not what we do.

If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing? Good question. I'd probably be retired [laughs]. I'd probably work for a toy company, making all electronic toys. I don't know, it's hard to say. I never really thought about it. Maybe I'd open up a little hi-fi store or something.

How do you define a good sound system and how do you define a bad one?

Well, that's kind of a personal thing, you know? I like a place where, when I walk in, it's kicking pretty good but my ears aren't killing me, it's played at the proper volume and when it's packed, obviously it's very loud but it's comfortable. To me, that's a good system. When you get those horns blowing your brains out - and they can do that - that, to me, is not good. There's something wrong where there's not enough cover drivers in the place to make it happen but, normally, it's just something wrong. It shouldn't be like that. It should be comfortable, in my opinion. Good, strong, heavy, good bass, but comfortable. But sound - what's good and what's bad - is pretty personal to people. You buy a stereo for your house, obviously you're gonna buy what you like. Maybe the guy next door doesn't like the one you've got [laughs]. With a nightclub, you're dealing with a tremendous amount of power. It's got to be controlled and controlled properly. Otherwise, it's gonna hurt.

What's your secret? Why do you think a lot of people think the sound systems you design are probably the best?

I don't know [laughs]. I don't want to say I'm weird, but basically what we do is create - which is not always easy - a high-fidelity sound in a large environment, and we try to make the entire audio spectrum pretty smooth, as opposed to screaming horns where your ears are ringing and you have to run our of the place. We try to keep things in order, try to make it as much of a hi-fi sound as we can, and that's difficult because, first of all, you are not playing [the newest stuff] . You're playing vinyl, 16-bit CDs, a lot of stuff that people made at home, or sometimes guys come in with worn-out records, worn-out acetates and CDs that weren't properly made. You've got to deal with that kind of stuff. That's part of the industry; you've got to take the good with the bad. So you try to compensate with the technology, try to make it sound as good as you can, no matter what you play, and that's tough, but I think that's what we strive for.

did anyone see the star trek episode about the phazon?

------------------

1.jpg2.gifufo.gifmonkey.gif

transcend

1. To pass beyond the limits of

2. To be greater than, as in intensity or power; surpass

3. To exist above and independent of (material experience or the universe)

sig.jpg

That is the longest sig i have ever seen on this board... out of control

------------------

Is it Friday yet???

Procrastination is the art of.......... never mind, I'll finish this quote later.

music: indispensable component of life... recognizes no limits and no confines... uniting black with white, young with old, and the good with the bad.

Do you want another taste of my ice cream?

Originally posted by jennEfer:

I hope you are not talking about my post.. Because it's NOT a signature but rather an ARTICLE about Phazon.. Ppl don't even bother reading anything anymore..

Thanks for that article Mysteriousss. I wonder whats going to happen to all that equipment at Twilo. According to the Phazon site they also did a system for Abyss in Jersey. PHazon is what a lot of Twilo peeps will remember Twilo for.

------------------

twilo%20-%20clubplanet%20logo.jpg

"1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21 ....Mathematics is the language of nature" --BT

AIM: teklord310

Originally posted by mysteriousss:

Actually, someone I know just dug up this article with and Phazon is NOT a sound system.. The way I understand it it's the name of the company that installs and works on these systems. But it's NOT a brand name for equipment. I thought it was its own brand but it's not. They use all the regular equipment..

Yeh i have said about it being a company before... there is no phazon etc. Your right about people not reading, but it's always been like that wink.gif

In the middle of all this soppyness about the close down kinda make you laugh that people don't actually know shit about the place.

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

why, hello smile.gif

Originally posted by jennEfer:

ROTFLMAO...so funny Zoya! cwm2.gif

And deanna11, it look like you have a new friend, lol.

------------------

"Up all night...sleep all day."

AIM - E123NYC

IntroLogoM.jpg

Originally posted by teklord310:

Thanks for that article Mysteriousss. I wonder whats going to happen to all that equipment at Twilo. According to the Phazon site they also did a system for Abyss in Jersey. PHazon is what a lot of Twilo peeps will remember Twilo for.

The equipment is up for auction on ebay.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=bookman37&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

I read it word for word!

Thank you so much, I didn't even know if Phazon was a system or a company or what!

I knew they used JBL and Crown, obviously Phazon didn't MAKE the amps and speakers and drivers and horns......

People even once told me that only Junior can use Phazon... wtf?

NOW I GET IT. Awesome. Steve Dash....him and Phil Smith formed Phazon, they run out of Twilo......no one had it better than Twilo because Twilo was the "proving grounds."

It truly was the best club in the world...

sigh

phil

aol im : apphillers

YO jeff where you at kid , i live in SI also you know a kid named JOE PALMARIE >? let me know

GB

------------------

glow.jpg

-------------------------

<A HREF="mailto:

Martin-Izzo@si.rr.com">

Martin-Izzo@si.rr.com</A>

page 1917-243-0215

AIM:GLowbali <---

You are never safe in your dreams im there , always look out because im your worst nightmare.

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Yeh i have said about it being a company before... there is no phazon etc. Your right about people not reading, but it's always been like that wink.gif

In the middle of all this soppyness about the close down kinda make you laugh that people don't actually know shit about the place.

bitch

i knew they were an installation company primiarily.. they dont' build the damn speaker componenets themselves, thats obvious..

they do build and customize particular components though..

------------------

get off of my cloud..