Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The "defining" party of NYC

What (to an outsider) has been the defining NYC party?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What (to an outsider) has been the defining NYC party?

• Studio 54
    • Paradise Garage
    • Arena @ Palladium
    • D-Tour (DT) @ Tunnel
    • Twilo Fridays
    • Be-Yourself Fridays @ Vinyl

Past or present?

I think the Sound Factory should also be on there. The first time i visited NY was when the SF was at the Twilo space. There was HUGE buzz about that at the time. There were loads of people coming across. Twilo was to NY as the Ministry of Soundis to London. Most people (i know) saw it as a tourist trap.

Studio 54 must be one of the most famous clubs in teh world. Not sure if it defines it though.

I have never been to Paradise Garage (obviously), but it has set the standard of what a vibe and and party should be. Danny T himself was a regular there and stated that his goal is to re-create the vibe that was there for his Friday Party that is now being ruined, but that's another post.

And anyone that says Twilo Fridays should check their history.

figures that twilo would win..

i picked paradise garage basically for the same reasons as cazz.. obviously never was there either.. if i had to pick another it'd be arena just b/c it shows the way afterhours here are done to such an extreme as compared to the rest of the world...

Yeah.. I must say.. I definitely agree with Soundfactory.. Soundfactory Saturdays with JP are like classic, they definitely should be an option.

Also nowadays, it seems like a lot of the crowd hoardes to Exit Fridays.. it's definitely making it's point lately, and Draper is doing his thing.

Originally posted by codica3

Yeah.. I must say.. I definitely agree with Soundfactory.. Soundfactory Saturdays with JP are like classic, they definitely should be an option.

Also nowadays, it seems like a lot of the crowd hoardes to Exit Fridays.. it's definitely making it's point lately, and Draper is doing his thing.

uh hun, they were talking about the *original* soundfactory on 27th st. the space recently closed down as twilo, which was home to junior vasquez from '89-94

Originally posted by codica3

Uh, I wont go there, I think most people would agree that Exit does not belong in this topic. And we were referring to Soundfactory BAR...on 27th, not 46th street...

Originally posted by crystalmethod

Though

I would say my best times were at Arena...

The defining party for NYC would be Paradise Garage, that's more the defining party for all house music as we know it. The pure roots.

Pure roots yes...and without comparing becasue it's apples to oranges, but what about what really was the insanest of the parties with the freaks, the crazies, the partiers, the drugs, the music, the dancing, the debauchery, the fun, the vibe, the insanity...two words...Michael Alig....what ruled the early 90's?

Disco 2000.....not much can compare to that era of NYC club life...that's what really put NYC on the map.....Garage turned the house music scene into something more than words but LL PUT NYC on the map of clublife

- Pete

:cool:

Originally posted by schwingep

Pure roots yes...and without comparing becasue it's apples to oranges, but what about what really was the insanest of the parties with the freaks, the crazies, the partiers, the drugs, the music, the dancing, the debauchery, the fun, the vibe, the insanity...two words...Michael Alig....what ruled the early 90's?

Disco 2000.....not much can compare to that era of NYC club life...that's what really put NYC on the map.....Garage turned the house music scene into something more than words but LL PUT NYC on the map of clublife

- Pete

I was a complete crackhead during Disco 2k... so... I try not to label it my most fun type of party.

But LL ruled the early 90's, hands down.

What a time...

Perhaps I am way off base, but I believe that Being one's self is the true nature of NYC. I am not a gay individual, but the fact that one can go and be who they want to be, with great music, DT rocks, and in the city that doesnt sleep, where else can you dance untill 10?

Originally posted by crystalmethod

I was a complete crackhead during Disco 2k... so... I try not to label it my most fun type of party.

But LL ruled the early 90's, hands down.

What a time...

Hey Steve, per our conversation....1 lb of coke is 454 grams...448 by dealers weight....now was it the same scale back then and what was the street value of a wieghted gram?

See these are the things I can't recall....Hmmmmm

- Pete"iusedtobeacrackheadtoonowijustplayoneinreallife"