Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question: HOME THEATRE SYSTEM

Planning on buying simple Home Theatre System, gathering opinions/info. Yes, I am behind the times. Anyways, been hearing good things bout SONY systems, my requirements and background info;

- 300 to 500 total watts

- About $500

- Quality Acoustics

- Complete system (DVD/CD, receiver, subwoofer, 5 surround sound speakers)

Currently using old Sony Trinitron TV, what is a compatible, nice, QUALITY acoustics, good "bang for the buck" system out there? I am not a DJ, value my long term hearing. Strictly for movies, sports, that sort of use. Recreational.

Originally posted by momadance

i have a 250 watt sony system and i never put the volume abouve 4 or 5 at the most. i couldnt immagine needing more wattage than that.

True dat. Heard same thing. At volume level 4 or five, is acoustics good? I mean the surround sound effects. Getting excited.

bungee-

if you haven't made the purchase yet, here's some additional 411 for you. i did some research recently to help a friend purchase a low-priced, all-inclusive system, just as you describe. i've played with the sony surround system that you're referring to (the ultra-slim system with the 5 tiny satellite speakers), as well as the two kenwood systems, and a few others in the price range. i only liked the offerings from sony & kenwood. here are my opinions:

the sony system is very slim, and is great if you want to keep things compact. the main unit will fit anywhere, and the speaker pods have unlimited mounting possibilities. in terms of sound quality, the clarity is very good at normal to slightly higher levels, especially for television use, where majority of the signal is limited to voices. however, if you plan to use it much for cd & fm music, the sound quality does become distorted at higher levels, due to the stress placed on only two of the five pods during stereo mode.

kenwood has two offerings, one with five identical satellite speakers + sub (slightly larger than the sony package) in the upper $400 range, and another with 5 larger, different sized speakers + sub, in the upper $500 range. i don't care much for the small system, for the same distortion reason as the sony system. but the larger system, with its two bookshelf sized L+R speakers, performs very well, even at higher levels in 2 channel stereo mode. however, the space requirements are larger, with separate two piece receiver & dvd unit, and normal sized speakers that require shelving or stands of some sort.

all offerings should be more than adequate for most televsion/dvd use, so you need to decide on how you like to hear your cd/stereo music. logically, with the sony & (larger) kenwood systems being equal in price, your choice is either a smaller, sleek system with good sound at adequate levels, or if you have the space, a normal-sized system with more than enough power for the average listener.

:idea:

Originally posted by knightcrawler

bungee-

if you haven't made the purchase yet, here's some additional 411 for you. i did some research recently to help a friend purchase a low-priced, all-inclusive system, just as you describe. i've played with the sony surround system that you're referring to (the ultra-slim system with the 5 tiny satellite speakers), as well as the two kenwood systems, and a few others in the price range. i only liked the offerings from sony & kenwood. here are my opinions:

the sony system is very slim, and is great if you want to keep things compact. the main unit will fit anywhere, and the speaker pods have unlimited mounting possibilities. in terms of sound quality, the clarity is very good at normal to slightly higher levels, especially for television use, where majority of the signal is limited to voices. however, if you plan to use it much for cd & fm music, the sound quality does become distorted at higher levels, due to the stress placed on only two of the five pods during stereo mode.

kenwood has two offerings, one with five identical satellite speakers + sub (slightly larger than the sony package) in the upper $400 range, and another with 5 larger, different sized speakers + sub, in the upper $500 range. i don't care much for the small system, for the same distortion reason as the sony system. but the larger system, with its two bookshelf sized L+R speakers, performs very well, even at higher levels in 2 channel stereo mode. however, the space requirements are larger, with separate two piece receiver & dvd unit, and normal sized speakers that require shelving or stands of some sort.

all offerings should be more than adequate for most televsion/dvd use, so you need to decide on how you like to hear your cd/stereo music. logically, with the sony & (larger) kenwood systems being equal in price, your choice is either a smaller, sleek system with good sound at adequate levels, or if you have the space, a normal-sized system with more than enough power for the average listener.

:idea:

Actually, getting it this weekend, so fucking excited. Thanks for the info, possibly save me from making $500 mistake. Did narrow down to SONY/KENWOOD, will decide this weekend.

sony is wak.......the reciever is gonna blow out or over heat two days after u get it......

kenwood aint that good either, hard to use and shitty sound.....

do urself a fav and save some money and go for yamaha or onkyo or harman kardon....trust me, def worth money........

Alright, I dont know how serious you are about your audio...but I'm a little obsessive so here are some things you may want to think about...

1- I dont think sony is too great...If i was ever going to buy a sony (again) i would not buy an all inclusive system, just a receiver..the only reason I would buy a sony is if i really did not have the money for anything else - 'cause its gonna break in a year anyway

2-If you want really good sound, and you want it upgradable, do not buy one of those all inclusive stereo systems, buy separate components...I'd buy a receiver (maybe for 250-300) then buy a separate DVD player, that will play cds....and buy some speakers...just not necessarily all at the same time...Most likely this will cost more then 500 bucks though....

3-some brands i reccomend: (i agree with avalondon) harmon kardon, denon,yamaha....maybe a technics cd changer, def. do not mess with AIWA, because they made absolute shit, and thats the understatement of the year...

In any case, if you'd like I can get a lot of electronics for wholesale price...i know for a fact i can get sony, I dont know if I can get speakers..but I can definitely get the DVD player and Receiver for you - not stolen or anything..brand new in the box...and it'll be probably 30% cheaper then anywhere else....just PM me if you're interested..

Just to clarify...

I meant I can't get the speakers if you are buying the system in separate components, as I recommended. If you bought an all inclusive system (the kind i did NOT recommend) that came with the speakers, the speakers would obviously be in the box with the rest of the stereo......just to let you know, I get my stuff from a SONY distributor whom I know personally, so you're getting whatever item as it is packaged from the factory...if you'd like to pay full retail price though, far be it from me to stop you...

I've had a bunch of sony products and then all freaking blow. We bought a $700 Sony system maybe 3 years ago...A year afterwards the cd player decided it wanted to stop working completley. We got it fixed under warranty, and it broke again.

The sound is decent, although I don't think its very balanced (like I said, I am picky)...Also, the remote control broke - I have no idea how...

I an electronics salesman at the wiz. in my professional opinion, i would definately not get a sony home theatre system, such as the davs300. dont be fooled by the wattage, sony overrates the power on this system especially. You might be satisfied temporarily by this system, but youll crave something more in the near future. i would highly reccomend a DTS yamaha receiver with 275 watts of power over a sny with 2x the power any day. get seperate components, in the long run you will be happy. you can get a good dvd player for about 180, panasonic rv 31(with mp3 playback), a good 5 speaker set for around 400, i reccomend klipsch, even cheaper sets will be alot better than the sony sets, maybe jbl or even yamaha. for receivers if you want to cut back costs get an onkyo receiver or even a sony, but dont get the all in one sony receiver (dvd/cd), they tend to brake, trust me, i know. sorry if i confused your decision, but im an audiophile, and id hate to see u make a horrible decision and buy the sony theatre in a box

Gotta agree w/ Sanjay and tootseroel on this one. Buy separate!!! Complete system tend to be cheaper but basically sux and break on you in no time. Take your time and put it 2gether piece by piece. You'll be happier in the end. Go to J and R and look around for a bit to see whats out there. Onkyo or harman kardon are great receivers but Sonys are decent (thts what i got). Speaker-wise jbls are good. I got cerwin vegas and the bass fucken kicks your ass. Nothing like feeling the house shaking. If you really want to go for complete system then spend the extra money and buy a bose system. Think long run

!!!!!

just to confuse bungee a little more, i'll give my 2 cents.... ;)

i would first go to a high end store like '6th ave electronics' or 'sounds by fischer' in union square and take a listen to some audiophile systems like krell, martin logan, or wilson audio. this will give u an idea of what sound systems are suppose to sound like....bring along a cd of the music you normally listen too, theyll let u play them. then go to the wiz or circuit city and listen to all the systems in your budget and find something that comes close to the high-end stuff.

in my opinion, sony makes good cd players, and some receivers too, but thats about it. their speakers are pretty bad (but thats my opinion). look at onkyo, yamaha and bose, theyre pretty good for the money u spend. i would stick with separates since you can always upgrade each piece in the future...with packaged systems they may not be compatible with other brands.

but it all comes down to what YOU like since youre the one who will be listening to it. good luck with your purchase.

You may or may not know this already...but when looking at wattage make sure you look at the RMS and Peak wattage....

basically rms is what the wattage the speaker can produce continuously...(very important)

Peak is what the speaker can produce for a second here or there...

Okay, i'm done complicating this...hehehe

if you do want anything wholesale though, gimme the model # and i'll get the price for you...

I spent 1 year figuring out what to get, I got everything last week. My basement is 20 feet by 20 feet, not a huge room but not small.

Speakers: I was close to getting an expensive Bose system, then compared it to Polk Audio. Polk Audio blows Bose the fuck away especially with bass. I bought 2 sets of Polk Audio speakers, not the real small ones, slightly larger, about 10 inches. When you buy 2 sets of Polk the Wiz gives you a free center, or spend 50 bucks on a center upgrade that is well worth it. I bought last years sony reciever but it does have DTS out put. YOU HAVE TO BUY A DVD AND RECIEVER WITH DTS AVAILIBLE!! All together $1,100 bucks (Rec., 5 speakers, 1 Polk Audio Subwoofer). DVD Movies are sick with DTS b/c all 6 speaker make different sounds....

Chris

bose, thats a good way to spend too much money. dont get bose. bose is all about the name! you hear bose u think the best, but not at all. compare bose to a another speaker system side by side, never have, its not a surprise. Bose doesnt want you to. polk audio or klipsch, thats the way to go, spend less, get more. if you want their wave radio, id say buy it in a sec. BOSE, no highs, no lows. u gotta hav the ear for it. your friendly wiz salesman. come see me in huntington.

stop, pop N roll

nothing better than 4 towers

but its way too much money